Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-01-2018 01:12 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Also don't forget this link

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/m-p/372447/highlight/false#M6794

promising HDR10 + for 2016 set's. This is also miss selling.

Paul

Sorry this link

https://news.samsung.com/global/how-hdr10-creates-like-real-images

Samsung tried to say only US sets were getting this update but I think this link is qutie clear it is global.

0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

Just an update..

posted “recorded delivery” letter to JL regarding all the 3 points / miss selling -

HDR10+, HLG (bbc iplayer), smartthings 

followed the wordings on template by which..if JL replaces or refunds my set, they will have a bunch of new customers..atleast from this forum!!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Also @AntS whats with this new log in asking to fill in the catcha?

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options
I also have double checked and it is Correct that section 75 of Consumer Rights Act does not cover where retailer and lender are the same. Looks like I will have to wait for reply from ‘Fenwicks of Newcastle ‘ in my case.will certainly progress with County Court Claim if necessary. Consumer Rights give 6 years and my TV is just over 2 years old now. I am not concerned about proving fault with TV as I found a case on a successful claim against Samsung in US https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1483114260 . The same article has web arkive links for the old Samsung Adds regarding future proofing claims.
0 Likes
Jones1
Apprentice
Options

I've not taken anything through small claims but my understanding is the process is fairly customer friendly and in the main done in writing, having worked for several large companies in relevant areas I'm fairly sure they will pay your request if you go to small claims as it will not be worth there time trying to defend it , regarding the missell unless you can evidence you purchased the product on the basis it came with the dongle I'm fairly sure you will struggle  I think the issue is that if you purchased the tv on the basis it came with a dongle it would be reasonable to assume you would have reported this at an earlier date, whilst you can claim miss sell for six years there still needs to be consideration as to whether you purchased the set on this basis, whereas hlg issue is much more relevant, if any one does pursue this though would be interested in the outcome! 

amokuk
Voyager
Options

But the dongle was promised to be sent by 2017. That period has only just expired.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Jones1 wrote:

I've not taken anything through small claims but my understanding is the process is fairly customer friendly and in the main done in writing, having worked for several large companies in relevant areas I'm fairly sure they will pay your request if you go to small claims as it will not be worth there time trying to defend it , regarding the missell unless you can evidence you purchased the product on the basis it came with the dongle I'm fairly sure you will struggle  I think the issue is that if you purchased the tv on the basis it came with a dongle it would be reasonable to assume you would have reported this at an earlier date, whilst you can claim miss sell for six years there still needs to be consideration as to whether you purchased the set on this basis, whereas hlg issue is much more relevant, if any one does pursue this though would be interested in the outcome! 

The evidence is there that it should of come with the dongle, as far as I can see it's not up to us to prove thats the reason or reasons for purchasing the television as which ever way you cut it it's still mis-sold by Currys, JL etc.

The HLG in my case was mentioned after I brought the television so I cannot persue that avenue.

Also many thanks for providing some perspective on this topic and you have definitely raised some very valid points.

Jones1
Apprentice
Options

Defo some interesting points here I didn't realise the smart wasn't promised until 2017 which could very well change things! I purchased mine Oct 16 so just before the hlg, hd10 anouncments although i assumed samsung would support this set for at least two yearsI think small claims is the way to go with this and if Currys do decide to defend it and loose it will open up a mass of cases, I wish samsung would just advise what the issue is, I don't want to swap my tv nor do I want the hassle of any claims, if samsung advise they will never add this the  I may consider but from what I can tell they haven't given a solid ' no we will never add this' Samsung! Pull ya finger out, update out tvs and issue a proper response!

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

For me it's the principal a trader such as Currys or the manufacturer i.e Samsung should not be able to get away with knowingly selling goods which come with feature or item xyz and then refusing to do anything about it when they clearly do not.

Currys are doing everything they can to put us little people off going to the small claims court because they know if they do and lose, it will open up the flood gates for every Samsung TV they sold through a 12 or possibly 24 month period which meets the criteria for having the free dongle.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Jones1... The smartthings dongle pledge made by Tim Baxter COO of Samsung Electronics can be seen on the video of the 2016 CES event. Just watch the first 1.5mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg11S-UZGv8

The pledge to supply these is unequivocal and was made before you purchased your set.