Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-01-2018 11:10 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

This years LG OLED sets look to support every HDR format under the sun also their equivalent of SUHD will have FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) so this will definitely give Samsung a run for their money.

Back on topic, going to give currys until next week for a further response before escalating it further.

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@amokuk wrote:

I find it truely astounding that in thread where people are barely restrained in the anger over a prolonged period and others are actively trying and telling each other how to get a refund so that they can go and buy a rival manufacturures product that we still have not got a response from samsung. The level of contempt is staggering.... I dont think i have ever experience anything like this. 

Why wont someone tell us what the hell is going on? What is the reason that you cant support hlg via iplayer. Its a REALLY simple question that you should be able to answer in 5 seconds. The fact that you have not means its 100% either embaressing or brand damaging. Answer the god ***** question samsung.

It's not comtempt but anger at Samsung's total lack of support for their loyal customers. To say a TV less than 12 months old is not going to get things they promised is comtempt from their side. 

I think the reason why Samsung is silent is clear. They don't have the courage to front up and say.. look we are not going to support earlier sets because  it is not commercially sensible for us and so tough luck to you all. This however is called a short term economy. You do that often  to enough people and there is sufficient press coverage you certainly would won't have any commercial advantage:  you will have a dead business.

Cannnot remember who posted this but did you hear anything back from what hi fi etc. Be surprised if we cannot  the surface the discontent to a wider audience. I did try and promote us posting out to twitter but I think we got only around twenty or so likes and retweets to both Samsung and BBC watchdog. I suspect Samsung think all the noise will settle down and us little people will just go away. Think again! 

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@ewanstancarr wrote:

I suspect Samsung think all the noise will settle down and us little people will just go away

Us 'Little' people will just go away....

...Straight to their competitors who are looking more like supporting their products more than a year.

Us 'little' people will also bring friends, family etc over with us - those who rely on our more expert' understanding of technology and features - like HDR, HLG etc. We certainly won't be recommending that people buy TV's that within a year are not delivering the features etc that buying a 'premium' TV should deliver. I bet most of us have influence, contribute to forums and, in my case, many online gaming friends who look to me for advice on which 4k and HDR TV is best for 4k HDR gaming - I know quite a few that bought a KS through a recommendation. 

Samsung are also facing the threat from Chinese companies - like TCL who are making big strides to deliver the quality at lower costs. LG are bringing that smarthub experience to their 2018 TV line-up, with voice control (not that I want to talk to TV) but their LCDs are going FALD as well as using its 'smart' processor to analyse HDR10 content scene by scene and adjust its tone mapping algorithm dynamically to optimise PQ - like HDR10+ does. Also has DV, low game mode input lags with automatic switching to HDR game modes, HLG support - in its Apps too. These are all in place on their 2017 range as is the HDR10 optimising. However HLG support is also on their 2016 TV's. The list of features and benefits that LG has over Samsung now, before the 2018 TV's come along, is significant. Us 'little people' won't settle for 2nd or even 3rd best, won't want to be left with an out-dated and virtually worthless TV within a year or 2 - especially not after spending £1k or more and definitely not if we spent £2k or more. If it is down to the 'Hardware' (or even Tizen), that shows that Samsung are not using decent hardware behind the panels compared to their rivals. Their rivals had the ability to be updated. 

People are much more likely to buy a brand if their experience has been positive - even more so than a 'decent' review. People are much more likely to buy an Expensive product based on friends/family experience. Do you think the majority here will recommend or buy Samsung in the future? Especially if they have a satisfying experience with their competitors.

The little people individually may not make much difference to a big company but en-masse they can have a very big effect and with the 'internet', those 'little' people can reach far more people than they ever could before.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

@ewanstancarr wrote:

I suspect Samsung think all the noise will settle down and us little people will just go away

Us 'Little' people will just go away....

...Straight to their competitors who are looking more like supporting their products more than a year.

Us 'little' people will also bring friends, family etc over with us - those who rely on our more expert' understanding of technology and features - like HDR, HLG etc. We certainly won't be recommending that people buy TV's that within a year are not delivering the features etc that buying a 'premium' TV should deliver. I bet most of us have influence, contribute to forums and, in my case, many online gaming friends who look to me for advice on which 4k and HDR TV is best for 4k HDR gaming - I know quite a few that bought a KS through a recommendation. 

Samsung are also facing the threat from Chinese companies - like TCL who are making big strides to deliver the quality at lower costs. LG are bringing that smarthub experience to their 2018 TV line-up, with voice control (not that I want to talk to TV) but their LCDs are going FALD as well as using its 'smart' processor to analyse HDR10 content scene by scene and adjust its tone mapping algorithm dynamically to optimise PQ - like HDR10+ does. Also has DV, low game mode input lags with automatic switching to HDR game modes, HLG support - in its Apps too. These are all in place on their 2017 range as is the HDR10 optimising. However HLG support is also on their 2016 TV's. The list of features and benefits that LG has over Samsung now, before the 2018 TV's come along, is significant. Us 'little people' won't settle for 2nd or even 3rd best, won't want to be left with an out-dated and virtually worthless TV within a year or 2 - especially not after spending £1k or more and definitely not if we spent £2k or more. If it is down to the 'Hardware' (or even Tizen), that shows that Samsung are not using decent hardware behind the panels compared to their rivals. Their rivals had the ability to be updated. 

People are much more likely to buy a brand if their experience has been positive - even more so than a 'decent' review. People are much more likely to buy an Expensive product based on friends/family experience. Do you think the majority here will recommend or buy Samsung in the future? Especially if they have a satisfying experience with their competitors.

The little people individually may not make much difference to a big company but en-masse they can have a very big effect and with the 'internet', those 'little' people can reach far more people than they ever could before.

Well said. I have seen you on Avforums and that would look good there as well. 

Paul.

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options
On the topic of continuing to rant on twitter please all like https://twitter.com/e_stan_carr/status/948680322148896768?s=03
0 Likes
Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options

Speaking of AV forums theres a thread from steve withers discussing hdr10+ in which he states in his article that samsung 2016 models will be getting hdr10+ update. See Avforums hdr10+. Ive posted there saying we should have had it by now but havent. 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Tezz wrote:

No 2016 TVs listed  😞

I thought that all 2016 TVs got the HLG update?

You were correct. They did. We have been able to view HLG content since firmware 1165.1 in Feb 2017.

It works playing HLG content from USB devices, and over the LAN, and from inside the YouTube app.

Despite these facts about HLG working, Samsung have repeatedly lied in responses to support queries, claiming that they didn't promise full HLG support, only "broadcast HLG support". It is the sort of thing that a small child would make up when they are learning how to lie and don't realise how pathetic it sounds to a grown adult.

But the iPlayer is a different matter. It is unclear why the BBC have not acted. The BBC lied about the 2017 Samsung models, saying on their website that a firmware upgrade was needed for the 2017 models. It turned out that just a small update to the iPlayer app on those TVs was needed. Even now, the page still says "please ensure you are using the latest firmware" - good advice, but the firmware did not change. The change was a new version of the iPlayer app. Apps are not part of the firmware and never have been.

Both Samsung and the BBC have to act to change the iPlayer app. The BBC have to build it, and Samsung have to approve it and host it. This could easily be done for the older models. It must be done for the older models.

At the moment, they are flipping between blaming each other, and saying nothing. Both are disgraceful.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@Tezz wrote:

No 2016 TVs listed  😞

I thought that all 2016 TVs got the HLG update?

You were correct. They did. We have been able to view HLG content since firmware 1165.1 in Feb 2017.

It works playing HLG content from USB devices, and over the LAN, and from inside the YouTube app.

Despite these facts about HLG working, Samsung have repeatedly lied in responses to support queries, claiming that they didn't promise full HLG support, only "broadcast HLG support". It is the sort of thing that a small child would make up when they are learning how to lie and don't realise how pathetic it sounds to a grown adult.

But the iPlayer is a different matter. It is unclear why the BBC have not acted. The BBC lied about the 2017 Samsung models, saying on their website that a firmware upgrade was needed for the 2017 models. It turned out that just a small update to the iPlayer app on those TVs was needed.

Both Samsung and the BBC have to act to change the iPlayer app. The BBC have to build it, and Samsung have to approve it and host it. This could easily be done for 2016 models.

At the moment, they are flipping between blaming each other, and saying nothing. Both are disgraceful.

Again well said, that could also be good on Avforums.

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I totally agree about the 'Little men' my family always ask me which TV to buy and I will no longer be recommending Samsung whatsoever specially if they want a tv to be supported greater than 12 months.

AntS
Options

Morning folks.

Just a post to say that no further updates on this as of yet, other than that your concerns have been passed on, and that discussion is now taking place between the people above me about this matter. I’m unable to give a timescale, or predict the outcome, but as I said before, I’ll keep you all updated with what I can as I can.

Meanwhile, happy for the contributions and conversation between you guys (and anyone else who’d like to join in) to continue.