Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-01-2018 10:53 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AntS why should we not spread the word or is this another form of censorship. I have noticed you have stopped posting on some other threads about miss selling and refunds. Funny how they you fully support the 2017 models, again why can you not support your older models like Panasonic and LG?????????????????????????

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Thanks for the link

https://news.samsung.com/global/how-hdr10-creates-like-real-images

HDR10+ incorporates dynamic metadata that allows a high dynamic range (HDR) TV to adjust brightness levels on a scene-by-scene or even frame-by-frame basis. With the ability to display outstanding contrast with detailed highlights and a richer range of colors, HDR10+ produces images that are much closer to the director’s intent.

All of Samsung’s 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TV lineup, support HDR10+. In the second half of this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update.

Might try to deny the HLG support for BBC Iplayer but can not get out of the above!!!!!

Paul

There's that absolute "will" again. They do like using it, don't they? I'm glad too. It's clear, unambigious, and the above is from an official press release which had been cleared by Samsung's legal department, and is binding.

I've just spotted a way they could get out of it, but I'm not going to help them! I'd be as welcome as a turd in a hot tub.

And - to make up for the ludicous censorship over the last few weeks: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here!

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

HLG is a single format - not multiple formats - like HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. Its supposed to work in exactly the same way - regardless of whether its OTA or via an App/external device. There isn't multiple variation - like it will play HLGa but not HLGb or HLGc. Its obviously an App and/or Tizen issue - either that or its an issue over 'additional' cost to update the app. If the TV can play HLG as stated, it should pay it from an 'external' HLG supported device - like Roku or SkyQ (if Sky do add HLG support). Sky will almost certainly use he same format of HLG in its on-demand content as its 'broadcasting' content - assuming it ever does get 'broadcast'.

The fact that iPlayer isn't even being updated to offer UHD let alone HLG is incredibly disappointing. Its this that tells me more that the issue is not HLG itself but the App and/or the platform its running on - in this case Tizen. If the TV can display HLG as we are 'promised' it can, it must be able to play BBC's iPlayer HLG. Its the fact the app itself cannot (or will not) be upgraded that seems to be the issue.

If the TV cannot play HLG from an alternative external source - whether that is from SkyQ, Roku's iPlayer or any other device with HLG supported iPlayer (or other supplier of HLG content), then they have lied. I still believe they are lying about the App anyway - rather than coming out and saying Tizen is incompatible or we are refusing to pay addtional cost to update to the latest iPlayer - HLG is HLG!! Whether its 'broadcast' or 'on-demand', its still the same format, still works in EXACTLY the same way. It doesn't have 'metadata' either so its either down to App compatibility with Tizen or Samsung refusing to update for whatever reason (cost for example). Either way its still lies from Samsung and a reason why I will not recommend or buy their products in the future. Their customer satisfaction and service are extremely poor and this is just adding to it. I know they must have lost money on their poor quality control with their phones, their TV's (repairs/replacements) and it seems the number of TV's they could find being returned.

HDR10+ was expected to role out by the end of last year - as promised by Samsung too - not just to the US but globally. CES is coming up in a week so I will be looking to see which LG, Panasonic or even Sony TV will be replacing my KS - either with the money I get fromm a refund or from selling. It was at least a decent screen - more than can be said for many KS owners...

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

I  with a previous poster. Can someone post their (successful) email that succinctly bullets the issues (and evidence links) for why a refund is to be provided. On the face of it its HLG, HDR10+ and the dongle. For me, the dongle and HDR10+ provide the strongest case since both would have been promoted  time of purchase. Thankfully I purchased from John Lewis who are usually good at handling written complaints 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Just amended my email to curry's to get it ready for samsung, any suggestions on what to change if anything?

Dear Samsung Support,

Store location: Curry’s, Northampton,

I am writing with regards to a purchase made on the 25th of July 2016. I would like to return the goods as I believe I have been miss-sold.

The Samsung 55KS7000 is not as described. At the point of purchase, I paid £1399. I was led to believe that the TV would come with a SmartThings extender (see link below from the Currys website) and this was also heavily promoted on YouTube.

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/ 

Here is an extract for further proof.

How to use SmartThings on your TV Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs have a built-in SmartThings hub, which is normally bought separately. 

Your new TV will come with the SmartThings Extend, a small USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. Once you’ve done this, switch on your TV and connect to Wi-Fi. On the TV’s hub screen, you’ll see the SmartThings app alongside things like Netflix, YouTube and regular channels. Highlight the app, and then select the option you want from the boxes that appear above. It’s really that easy to use.

Further to this in 2017 a firmware update was promised for the 2016 KS models to enable HDR10+ and as of 03/01/18 this has not materialised despite Samsung's official press release which went live on their website on the 26th of April 2017.

Please note this is a global update for all Samsung televisions which includes those purchased from within the United Kingdom) and is also legally binding as your wording states "Later this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs WILL gain HDR10+ support as well through a firmware update."

Also, according to your official statement "We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players."

Further to this another official statement was made stating "It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG content which is delivered via any UHD-supported apps as those are not considered broadcast service."

So how comes your 2017 TVs are now able to access the BBC iPlayer UHD trial without supporting this service? As by your own omission BBC iPlayer is not a “broadcast service”

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Curry’s that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As Curry's/Samsung are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 6 years I am within my statutory rights to ask for a full refund given at no further cost to me. 

I await confirmation that you will provide the remedy set out above within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

Dale Kilborn.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Just amended my email to curry's to get it ready for samsung, any suggestions on what to change if anything?

Dear Samsung Support,

Store location: Curry’s, Northampton,

I am writing with regards to a purchase made on the 25th of July 2016. I would like to return the goods as I believe I have been miss-sold.

The Samsung 55KS7000 is not as described. At the point of purchase, I paid £1399. I was led to believe that the TV would come with a SmartThings extender (see link below from the Currys website) and this was also heavily promoted on YouTube.

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/ 

Here is an extract for further proof.

How to use SmartThings on your TV Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs have a built-in SmartThings hub, which is normally bought separately. 

Your new TV will come with the SmartThings Extend, a small USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. Once you’ve done this, switch on your TV and connect to Wi-Fi. On the TV’s hub screen, you’ll see the SmartThings app alongside things like Netflix, YouTube and regular channels. Highlight the app, and then select the option you want from the boxes that appear above. It’s really that easy to use.

Further to this in 2017 a firmware update was promised for the 2016 KS models to enable HDR10+ and as of 03/01/18 this has not materialised despite Samsung's official press release which went live on their website on the 26th of April 2017.

Please note this is a global update for all Samsung televisions which includes those purchased from within the United Kingdom) and is also legally binding as your wording states "Later this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs WILL gain HDR10+ support as well through a firmware update."

Also, according to your official statement "We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players."

Further to this another official statement was made stating "It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG content which is delivered via any UHD-supported apps as those are not considered broadcast service."

So how comes your 2017 TVs are now able to access the BBC iPlayer UHD trial without supporting this service? As by your own omission BBC iPlayer is not a “broadcast service”

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Curry’s that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As Curry's/Samsung are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 6 years I am within my statutory rights to ask for a full refund given at no further cost to me. 

I await confirmation that you will provide the remedy set out above within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

Dale Kilborn.

That looks brill, let's us know the response. Glad you put the hlg in as it was promised, back in DEC 2016 on Trusted reviews, and even in DEC 2017 on What hi fi.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I can see a couple of things I need to amend and will get this sent off to Samsung if I have no luck with Curry’s.

0 Likes
Chris325
Explorer
Options

Your contract is with the company that supplied the goods so the claim should be to the vendor i.e. Currys. They cannot absolve themselves from responsibility under the Sales of Goods act. Also, if purchased on a credit card which everyone should automatically do if the good is over a £100 then S75 of the consumer credit act applies as this is a DCS sale i.e. Debtor-Creditor-Supplier sale so the credit card company is also jointly liable with the vendor.     

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I paid for mine over 12 months BNPL with a HSBC debit card so don't think I qualify for that.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

I paid for mine over 12 months BNPL with a HSBC debit card so don't think I qualify for that.

No with a debit card. I think you can do a charge back up to 120 days after buying. You still the Which letter which can be used up to 6 years after buying.

0 Likes