Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-12-2017 01:26 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Joined this forum just for this as I also purchased a 55KS7000 on the understanding it would support HLG in the future which I also believe may become the overall HDR standard.

Tweeted my disgust as well as my £1400 purchase is now obsolete and it's even more annoying the fact that I normally keep televisions for a minimum of 5 years and if HLG catches on big time I will not be able to watch the content my television is capable of supporting because of Samsung.

P.S my mate sold his 55JS8000 on a whim to get an LG OLED B7V tv and Blue Planet II in HDR is absolutely STUNNING!

Talk about a kick in the teeth Samsung, way to go to support your customers.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Joined this forum just for this as I also purchased a 55KS7000 on the understanding it would support HLG in the future which I also believe may become the overall HDR standard.

Tweeted my disgust as well as my £1400 purchase is now obsolete and it's even more annoying the fact that I normally keep televisions for a minimum of 5 years and if HLG catches on big time I will not be able to watch the content my television is capable of supporting because of Samsung.

P.S my mate sold his 55JS8000 on a whim to get an LG OLED B7V tv and Blue Planet II in HDR is absolutely STUNNING!

Talk about a kick in the teeth Samsung, way to go to support your customers.

Try this route,

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay!
Also Samsung promised the Smart Connect and HDR10+ both not turned up, and again mis selling. If you were influanced by these promises to buy any Samsung KS series then check out this link and see if you are entiltalled to a refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/

Usefull links
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#HKmkBd0MMSTZvqxK.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY
https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

This Which tool is useful for any product issues from faulty to miss selling on any products. It is very quick and easy to use.
Good Luck.

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Have you done a formal complaint for faulty goods then?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I was asked the same question in AVForums and have already answer the question on this forum. But yes I have and I used that tool to get arefund on a JS8000 from Curry's for miss selling, and I did win. They did their best to deny miss selling and Samsung even tried to claim the TV was not HDR (it is) to try to get out of it. I had to write a letter of intent to take legal action using the template off the Which site and agreed to pay when they received that. They will try to ignore or deny but just follow the advice. 

I then bought a Pani 902 which great picture but terrible lip sync, so that when back. My big mistake was reading the reviews especially Trusted reviews about the 65KS9500 and I saw a good deal on Amazon from a third party seller DA Tech, and bought it last Jan 2017. After 7 months it stopped recording and it was then I found I had lost my section 75 protection due to buying through a third party and DA Tech disappeared, and Amazon said their 120 support had ended. Be very careful buying from Amazon or Ebay high value items due to this third party issue. So a bit stuck but have sent a letter of intention to take legal action by email to DA Tech, no reply yet. 

Very important to everyone is your consumer credit section 75 regs where you can also make a claim against your credit card company, again for faulty or miss sold items, and again for upto  6 years. All you have to do is ring your credit card company and say you want to start a section 75 for miss selling, and they will advise you.

Sixedup
Journeyman
Options

I'm another very annoyed Samsung owner that registered just to post this comment.

I bought a 2016 UE55KS7000 just over 12 months ago on strength of the many positive reviews, and the fact that it was certified as an Ultra HD Premium device. Like many people in the UK, I tend to get a lot of my content from the iPlayer, so it's presence on the device was a key part of my purchasing decision. The upgradable nature of the KS7000 firmware and apps, and comments from Samsung about adding HLG support that were widely reported by What HiFi & TV and others reassured me that although I was spending a lot of money, I was buying something futureproof. 

And, apart from a simply horrible HDMI-CEC implementation and the embedded taskbar adverts, my experience of the TV has been great.  But now it seems that after only 12 months I won't be able to access what is likely to be the primary source for 4K media in the UK. And having had a quick look at the BBC R&D webpages, I can see no obvious technical reason why most "smart" devices (including those from 2014/15/16) that have upgradable firmware and apps cannot be made to support this.

Which leaves me with the feeling that Samsung just don't want to spend the money to support their existing customers once they have newer devices on the market.  So count me as another technology recommender that will never buy nor recommend anything from Samsung again. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I am going down this route thanks to Paul1111.

Dear Customer Service Team,

Store location: Northampton,

Reference:

I am writing with regards to a purchase made on the 25th of July 2016. I would like to return the goods as I believe I have been mis-sold.

The Samsung 55KS7000 is not as described. At the point of purchase, I paid £1399. I was led to believe that the TV would come with a smart things extender (see link below from your website) which it didn’t and I only brought this on reading this would be enabled and supplied with the television.

***** is a link from your website as well as an extract for further proof.

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

How to use SmartThings on your TV Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs have a built-in SmartThings hub, which is normally bought separately.

Your new TV will come with the SmartThings Extend, a small USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. Once you’ve done this, switch on your TV and connect to Wi-Fi. On the TV’s hub screen, you’ll see the SmartThings app alongside things like Netflix, YouTube and regular channels. Highlight the app, and then select the option you want from the boxes that appear above. It’s really that easy to use..

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Currys that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As you are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 6 years I am within my statutory rights to ask for it to be replaced or a full refund given at no further cost to me.

I await confirmation that you will provide the remedy set out above within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

Dale Kilborn.

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options
Nicely put Sixedup
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Great letter, did you use the Which tool? 

It is up to you guys and girls who bough the KS in 2017,  it might be helpful to if you can mention the lack of HDR10+ and Iplayer HLG support. In fact Samsung were promising the Smart Connect in 2016.

You have evidence of the promises of HDR10+ and the Trusted reviews from Dec 2016. They might try to deny one but can not deny all. I think it also shows Samsung's poor support for their older models.

Paul

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Did anyone on this forum buy their UE55KS7000 (or equivalent) from John Lewis in August 2016 or before? I think I do now recall reference to  smart connect and dongle but have no retrospective evidence. My strong preference is really (as per Mr Tickle) that Samsung just pull their finger out and sort out this fiasco ASAP. ***** is hoping the new year makes them  see sense. Good luck though to all those seeking legal redress. We are but a few but hopefully we have created a bit of noise. 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I did yes just made some adjustments as well in order to get my case across, I don’t hold up much hope to be honest but it’s worth a shot nonetheless.

0 Likes