Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Navigator

@spellinn wrote:

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Given we have built up a head of steam on this forum can everyone also please raise a case online with citizens advice. It will take you two minutes and has the benefit of increasing awareness with trading standards. 


Sorry I disagree with this advice. Citizens Advice is a charity and I'd rather they spent their limited funds on helping those who really need financial advice and assistance, rather than processing lots of cases from us with our very "third world problem" that we can't watch 4K content (currently one show to retain some perspective) via iPlayer on our really expensive TVs.

 

I would recommend raising the issue with trading standards directly (a council-funded organisation rather than a charity), BBC Watchdog, and finally the retailer where you purchased the set as it's them you have the contract with.

 

If there is a case for mis-selling, it's going to be the retailer you need to lodge your complaint with to get any kind of compensation or replacement.

 

 


Fair point, well made 

Voyager

@spellinn wrote:

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Given we have built up a head of steam on this forum can everyone also please raise a case online with citizens advice. It will take you two minutes and has the benefit of increasing awareness with trading standards. 


Sorry I disagree with this advice. Citizens Advice is a charity and I'd rather they spent their limited funds on helping those who really need financial advice and assistance, rather than processing lots of cases from us with our very "third world problem" that we can't watch 4K content (currently one show to retain some perspective) via iPlayer on our really expensive TVs.

 

I would recommend raising the issue with trading standards directly (a council-funded organisation rather than a charity), BBC Watchdog, and finally the retailer where you purchased the set as it's them you have the contract with.

 

If there is a case for mis-selling, it's going to be the retailer you need to lodge your complaint with to get any kind of compensation or replacement.

 

 Fair point, someone posted a link for which, I used that to generate the letter, suggest everyone do same and send/email to retailers, as trading standards require you to do that first


 

Black Belt 

@spellinn wrote:

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Given we have built up a head of steam on this forum can everyone also please raise a case online with citizens advice. It will take you two minutes and has the benefit of increasing awareness with trading standards. 


Sorry I disagree with this advice. Citizens Advice is a charity and I'd rather they spent their limited funds on helping those who really need financial advice and assistance, rather than processing lots of cases from us with our very "third world problem" that we can't watch 4K content (currently one show to retain some perspective) via iPlayer on our really expensive TVs.

 

I would recommend raising the issue with trading standards directly (a council-funded organisation rather than a charity), BBC Watchdog, and finally the retailer where you purchased the set as it's them you have the contract with.

 

If there is a case for mis-selling, it's going to be the retailer you need to lodge your complaint with to get any kind of compensation or replacement.

 

I disagreed with you extremely!!!!! We have been mid sold a product which is a breach if consumer regs and you can not contact Trading Standards, you must go through Citizens Advice, who will then pass to Trading Standards. So when you give advice know you facts! Also do you work for Samsung?????

 

 


 

Black Belt 

Also Citizens Advice is not Charity funded but is government funded.

Voyager

@paul1277 wrote:

@spellinn wrote:

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Given we have built up a head of steam on this forum can everyone also please raise a case online with citizens advice. It will take you two minutes and has the benefit of increasing awareness with trading standards. 


Sorry I disagree with this advice. Citizens Advice is a charity and I'd rather they spent their limited funds on helping those who really need financial advice and assistance, rather than processing lots of cases from us with our very "third world problem" that we can't watch 4K content (currently one show to retain some perspective) via iPlayer on our really expensive TVs.

 

I would recommend raising the issue with trading standards directly (a council-funded organisation rather than a charity), BBC Watchdog, and finally the retailer where you purchased the set as it's them you have the contract with.

 

If there is a case for mis-selling, it's going to be the retailer you need to lodge your complaint with to get any kind of compensation or replacement.

 

I disagreed with you extremely!!!!! We have been mid sold a product which is a breach if consumer regs and you can not contact Trading Standards, you must go through Citizens Advice, who will then pass to Trading Standards. So when you give advice know you facts! Also do you work for Samsung?????

 

 


 


Talked to trading standards in past, such cases usually are covered by them, have you tried calling them?

Voyager

@paul1277 wrote:

Also Citizens Advice is not Charity funded but is government funded.


It is a charity and they also advise to contact trading standards

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Highlighted
Black Belt 

I doubt you have talked to Trading Standards as I said if you go to their web site you will see that it directs you to Citizens Advice in the first instant, as that is the only contact they give, and they will pass the complaint to Trading Standards. If there are enough complaints Trading Standards will look in to it. You are correct about contacting the retailer first, and using the Which link can write a letter to them first. I would then suggest contacting Citizens Advice.

Paul

Voyager

@paul1277 wrote:

I doubt you have talked to Trading Standards as I said if you go to their web site you will see that it directs you to Citizens Advice in the first instant, as that is the only contact they give, and they will pass the complaint to Trading Standards. If there are enough complaints Trading Standards will look in to it. You are correct about contacting the retailer first, and using the Which link can write a letter to them first. I would then suggest contacting Citizens Advice.

Paul


As I said, I have talked to trading standards in past but in my case it was clear case of trading malpractice, trading standards refer to citizens advice if the case isnt clear cut, however in this Samsung case we are not getting what we were promised so clear case of misselling by not delivering on promised features

Hotshot

I think the best way to start the process for a refund for miss selling is to use the Which tool. I have put the link in below.

 

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/

 

Paul

Helping Hand

@paul1111 wrote:

I think the best way to start the process for a refund for miss selling is to use the Which tool. I have put the link in below.

 

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/

 

Paul


All very nice but that doesn't give everyone else a working 4k HLG iPlayer. Shouldn't the main aim to be to secure that, with getting refunds very much a last resort?

 

Think about what actually has to happen on the ground for us to get what we want. Technical people at both the BBC and Samsung, two sets of people who are both now on holiday over the Christmas break, need to talk to each other (either/both companies having hopefully decided to change their positions and support the 2016 and 2015 models) and then do certain things:

* perhaps only configuration changes on iPlayer servers;

* perhaps a patched version of the iPlayer app needs to be created, tested, then submitted from the BBC to Samsung for testing and uploading to the "Smart Hub" servers, which will then eventually appear for us to install;

* perhaps it even needs a firmware upgrade (that's what the BBC were saying, but I think that's a flat-out lie: we have had HLG support since Feb 2017; we have DVB-DASH support because the NetFlix app uses it; and what was delivered before Xmas for the 2017 model was not a firmware upgrade at all despite their webpage saying it needed firmware, hey presto it was just a simple patch to the iPlayer app);

* etc. (other things it actually needs beyond our user speculation on a forum!)

 

The BBC's short "test" clip from Planet Earth 2 is permanent and will remain for us to test, because it's very unlikely that all this will happen before mid-January and BP2 expires. I'd like it to be quicker but speaking from experience I doubt it.

 

This sequence of events cannot all happen in zero time, so if anyone is expecting results last week or this week then sorry but they are not being realistic :(. The most that could (and should) happen quickly IMHO is some sort of statement early in the new year along the lines of "we've listened and changed our minds and we'll keep the promise after all without any stupid technical get-outs".

 

That is the outcome I personally want the most, not an easy refund.

 

Top Liked Authors