Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-12-2017 11:38 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options

@RyanM wrote:
Good evening everyone!

During a bit of well deserved annual leave for @AntS I just wanted to add some commentary at this stage (trying not to use the word "h e r e" too much!)

I'm pleased progress has been made but we are still listening and reporting the comments that are being posted. The suggestions / comments are passed to the developers, and despite the feeling that 2016 model owners are being ignored, I promise it's not the case. As @AntS mentioned beforehand, if and when there are further updates to share, we certainly will. This doesn't resolve anything immediately but work is ongoing and the activity on this thread has helped move things along.

In other news, "h e r e" being censored as a profanity has stumped us (currently being looked into) and I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year.

Thanks for posting @RyanM. What progress has been made? I assume you mean for 2017 sets? Its been asked in here if the issue is a technical or a commercial problem which is currently stopping iplayer in 4k hlg on non 2017 sets, are you able to provide an answer on this? 

Also do you have an idea or able to provide a timeframe for addressing issues raised in this thread (hlg and smartthings extend)? Just the iplayer trial ends soon and it would be nice to view blue planet 2 in 4k hdr before the trial ends otherwise we will have no idea if any fix by samsung actually addresses the issue. If a hlg fix isn't implemented will a 4k fix be issued?

Also is there any news on the smartthings extended dongle that was part of the advertising campaign which states that all 2016 suhd sets would receive a free smartthings dongle?

As a side note, is there ever going to be a fix for hdr game mode profile?

I really like my set, but given the well documented issues in this thread, I am seriously thinking of returning my set for a refund by means identified in this and new threads and getting a tv from a different manufacturer, and will not be purchasing or recommending any other samsung products. I know this is not your fault, and I apologise if this feels like it is aimed at you its not.

Otherwise, i hope you have a merry Christmas and happy new year. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
@crashcris wrote:

@RyanM .... I don't wish to have to repeat myself, but your developers need to be looking to support ALL the TVs which have 4k capability. ie the 2014/ 2015 AND 2016 models, not just the 2016 models. I own the js8000, which was top of the range when I bought it and was assured it was future proof, even though it took until the middle of this year to get the Netflix UHD in HDR. Even if BBC iplayer can't be decoded in HLG on my set it certainly could and should support the 4k UHD iplayer (akin to how i was able to watch Netflix UHD before you pulled your fingers out and enabled the HDR function.

At the moment I'm very much not feeling Samsung as an honourable company deserving of my custom in the future.

That said, I wish you personally a Happy Christmas and please know that my anger is not directed towards any of the moderators *****, you have my admiration and understanding that it can't be easy to have to read quite how upset the posters ***** are with this situation.

Ideally would be the case but no manufactuer is   currently  fully supporting all UHD  sets,according to someone on another forum Panasonic sets cannot display an HLG image on Iplayer -it is UHD with WCG.  Admittedly SDR UHD would be better than nothing though, also it must be said that Sony and Phillips are only supporting 2017 models too in the Iplayer trial.  of course that does not get Samsung off the hook and as I've said before I don't think the current policy for 2016 owners is acceptable, even if you were to accept there would be challenges with testing for the current content.  Financial considerations would seem to be more of a factor but pressure can make a difference with the issue sorted for 2017 owners earlier than expected so Samsung may be more forthcoming in due course and for the sake of PR need to address matters. Of course options for those affected, well done to all those who have conducted research and just because I have a recent model does not mean I'm not concerned for others.   I've viewed the posts but haven't had much to add in the past few days.

I think the Mods are doing their best at the moment and encouraging folk with issues to raise them, whilst it may be frustrating if it seems there is a lack of news as Ryan has indicated feedback goes further up the chain. Anyway Merry Christmas to everyone!

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Pete1234
Explorer
Options

Panasonic 2015 models are listed as compatible on the BBC page for the blue planet trial. That's good enough for me rather than what some one may have said on a forum. Even if they aren't displaying true HDR they are making the best of what the panel can do- something I would like to see Samsung do. They will be getting the benefit of 4K at least, something Samsung's stance is denying us slightly older model owners. This is the point of HLG, it can adapt to the hardware. 

I also agree that while it's good that they may be noticing this forum, it doesn't bode well that we have to spend the time kicking up a fuss in the hope of getting support for a 20 month old tv that Retailed for £900. Seems like a numbers game for them, they know how many 2016 and 2015 sets they sold- it's how many of the owners are bothered enough to want  the tv to deliver on its promised capabilities. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Pete1234 wrote:

Panasonic 2015 models are listed as compatible on the BBC page for the blue planet trial. That's good enough for me rather than what some one may have said on a forum. Even if they aren't displaying true HDR they are making the best of what the panel can do- something I would like to see Samsung do. They will be getting the benefit of 4K at least, something Samsung's stance is denying us slightly older model owners. This is the point of HLG, it can adapt to the hardware. 

I also agree that while it's good that they may be noticing this forum, it doesn't bode well that we have to spend the time kicking up a fuss in the hope of getting support for a 20 month old tv that Retailed for £900. Seems like a numbers game for them, they know how many 2016 and 2015 sets they sold- it's how many of the owners are bothered enough to want  the tv to deliver on its promised capabilities. 

I brought up Panasonic as this particular poster appears to be quite technical (an oracle on Sky Community),  though obviously not eveyone on forums are well informed. Not every device listed will be be true HDR,  Skyq do not currently support it and whist would say their version is good Iplayer on inbuilt app certainly superior. Agree though that enabling any type of 4k would definitely be beneficial and acceptable  to many even if not ideal.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

amokuk
Voyager
Options

Hey James,

To be honest panasonic sony etc are irrelevant. LG are samsungs main rival at this time. Oled v led. Frankly LG are winning. Webos is apparently excellent, the picture quality is insanely good and they are supporting all their older models. All that without any of their customers having to waste their time begging on a forum... As posted previously my mates 2016 b6 is playing blue planet 2 right now and he says its amazingly good. The chances of us getting to see this trial are in the very low single digit %. That is not good enough.

Having said that the post above does at least hint at light at the end of the tunnel, i just hope they do right by 2015 owners. Their panels are 8bit as far as i know but there is no reason they cant at least do 4k like sky q.

disrember
Explorer
Options

my 2015 (UE55JS8000T) does 4k and HDR, has netflix/amazon hdr, plays hdr from 4k bluray etc, so not sure what 2015 models dont support 4K and HDR...  just not supporting HLG

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Amokuk.... As far as I know and from all I've read, the 2015 js8000 is a native 10 bit panel.

0 Likes
Cattv
First Poster
Options

Merry Christmas,

I purchased a 4K  UE48JU6400  from Richer Sounds in 2016 in the belief that it would be compatible with forthcoming 4K services. We also have an older Samsung 32 inch set, 3 Samsung mobiles , Samsung tablet and a Samsung washing machine. Thus I am a loyal Samsung customer

The UE48 works fine with Amazon and Netflix  4K offerings ,thus I am very disappointed that Samsung have decided to make it obsolete for the 4K  Iplayer which is the main application used on this tv. Before purchasing the set we looked at the Sony Panasonic and LG offerings but we took the salesmans recommendation that the Samsung operating system was superior to it's compeditors . This was obviously a mistake, .

When we purchase a a replacement for the 32 inch will probably be from another manufacturer who does not make their products obsolete in less than 2 years.

Amazed
Explorer
Options
Christmas 2015 bought a Sony 4k TV, got stung by the fact that it wasn't HDR.

Decided to replace it Christmas 2016, did research, bought Samsung KS series UHD certified, all bells and whistles.

Christmas 2017 find out that TV is not future proof, not even for a year.
Having spent over 2k on TVs in two years (one my own mistake, which I'll admit) I'm really not happy with this situation.

Please Samsung, support your customers, bring us iPlayer HLG..
Pete1234
Explorer
Options

I have ju7000, the panel is 8 bit but Samsung have enabled a pseudo HDR mode whereby the backlight gets pushed up to max when it detects an HDR signal. Probably other J series models do this. HDR is more about the brightness than the colour range afaik there is no universally agreed standard to HDR colour. Rec2020 is thrown about but Rex 702 is close to this anyway. Amazon video triggers the HDR mode on its relevant broadcasts. No good reason why we can't enjoy the BBC version of this and benefit from a. True 4K source and b. The increased dynamic range. 

Anyway merry Christmas all.