Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-12-2017 02:58 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Also started another thread "KS owners refund" which I think says it all.

Neil81
Explorer
Options

Hello, it's nice to see this discussion taking place. I bought my Ks8000 from RGB Direct and after seeing that the TV I bought in July 2017 is no longer supported, I will be looking into getting a full refund and purchasing another brand. Has anyone here dealt with RGB Direct on this matter?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Last post for Xmas, so hope every one has a great day tomorrow and then back to the "fight". Got to do a h e r e   ***** for the censors!

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Very last but why do they censor H E R E      ***** ***** ***** ***** done four of them!

RyanM
Pathfinder
Options
Good evening everyone!

During a bit of well deserved annual leave for @AntS I just wanted to add some commentary at this stage (trying not to use the word "h e r e" too much!)

I'm pleased progress has been made but we are still listening and reporting the comments that are being posted. The suggestions / comments are passed to the developers, and despite the feeling that 2016 model owners are being ignored, I promise it's not the case. As @AntS mentioned beforehand, if and when there are further updates to share, we certainly will. This doesn't resolve anything immediately but work is ongoing and the activity on this thread has helped move things along.

In other news, "h e r e" being censored as a profanity has stumped us (currently being looked into) and I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year.
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@RyanM wrote:
Good evening everyone!

During a bit of well deserved annual leave for @AntS I just wanted to add some commentary at this stage (trying not to use the word "h e r e" too much!)

I'm pleased progress has been made but we are still listening and reporting the comments that are being posted. The suggestions / comments are passed to the developers, and despite the feeling that 2016 model owners are being ignored, I promise it's not the case. As @AntS mentioned beforehand, if and when there are further updates to share, we certainly will. This doesn't resolve anything immediately but work is ongoing and the activity on this thread has helped move things along.

In other news, "h e r e" being censored as a profanity has stumped us (currently being looked into) and I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year.

I really hope that the moderators here do not take any of our complaints and disappointment personally. I do know that they are often very much torn between the community and the official response from Samsung. We know that, at most, all you can do is pass on the information and disappointments to the 'right' people within the company and often only have the same information we do as to what Samsung's policy and plans are. I am sure they also share our concerns etc even if they cannot themselves air them. 

Anyway, wishing everyone here a Happy Christmas and hopefully, those of us with 2016 (and older) TV's get some 'good' news in the New Year. I must admit I have been very tempted to look at the B/C7 OLEDs in January but with CES at the start of the new year, I may be tempted to see what LG, Panasonic, Philips etc have to offer. I am certainly going to be looking for some Self-emitting tech with HDMI 2.1 features - Particularly Game VRR and eARC. HFR may be a few years away from the devices I use but a true 120hz support TV would be great.

It really depends on the support my KS8000 gets as to whether I keep it as a 2nd/Bedroom TV or feel that its too outdated and just replace it entirely. Hopefully Samsung will do the right thing though and look after its customers - especially with LG and certainly TCL posing much more of a threat to their dominance in this market. Looking after their customers is a great way to ensure their loyalty and recommendation to others.

Happy Christmas everyone

cyenz
Explorer
Options
I really hope that KS owners are not forgotten, when i bought my KS i bought it because of 2 things: Quality of the panel UHD Premium and (what i hoped) to be a continued support by Samsung. While i was happy with the panel the support given to this Tv has been disapointing, to name a few, the lack of profile for HDR in game mode, the promise of HDR10+ this year and then say its not possible, the same for HLG when lower end models from other brands are gettings this features it makes it really seem that Samsung abandoned the 2016 models. Like i said in a previous post, Tvs are not smarphones, they are not disposed yearly.

Samsung really has to prove that they do care for their customers, it will be the diference between getting another samsung Tv or switch to another brand next year. I really hope to stay but it all depends on you guys.

Seeing LG and Panasonic proving updates for their 2016 tvs (and lower end models) really made me think. I really hope Samsung changes their direction regarding their support. As it stands is one of the worst (sorry for beeing honest, but its really my experience) supporting companies when it comes to its products, specially when they are not the current year model.
ronson
Apprentice
Options

The only thing that shows we aren't being ignored is if we get the support we ask for and to be honest, the fact I'm having to even post begging to get my set support is pretty awful...

It's just such a pointless decision, we all lose h e r e, we have already invested in a purchase with Samsung and the set is great, don't actively dissuade us from buying Samsung TV's again! I just cannot purchase from a company again that acts like this, I have choices, but really, I would just like the basic support we should expect from a £1000+ TV purchase.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@RyanM .... I don't wish to have to repeat myself, but your developers need to be looking to support ALL the TVs which have 4k capability. ie the 2014/ 2015 AND 2016 models, not just the 2016 models. I own the js8000, which was top of the range when I bought it and was assured it was future proof, even though it took until the middle of this year to get the Netflix UHD in HDR. Even if BBC iplayer can't be decoded in HLG on my set it certainly could and should support the 4k UHD iplayer (akin to how i was able to watch Netflix UHD before you pulled your fingers out and enabled the HDR function.

At the moment I'm very much not feeling Samsung as an honourable company deserving of my custom in the future.

That said, I wish you personally a Happy Christmas and please know that my anger is not directed towards any of the moderators here, you have my admiration and understanding that it can't be easy to have to read quite how upset the posters here are with this situation.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@RyanM wrote:
Good evening everyone!

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you "h e r e" 

Customer service response "only broadcast hlg was promised" gives loud and clear message that as an early adopter people should steer clear of Samsung brand!

Looking forward to swap my KS 9000 with a Sony or an LGE

Won't consider Samsung until the tech matures

0 Likes