Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-12-2017 03:45 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Phil12
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I hate to admit but I may be wrong! 

I thought the Iplayer HLG was free and it now seems there may be royalties to pay, a massive 5 pence or cents per TV (the first 100,000 are free). That will obviously bankrupt Samsung and that looks like any one who bought a Samsung 2015, 16, or even 17 UHD will never get broadcast HLG!

Couple of things I don't understand,

How come we get VP9 HLG with Youtube?

Why has Samsung lead us along a right old merry path when we now know why BBC removed them from the list, as it looks like they will not pay these royalties fee's, unlike other lesser manufactures i.e. Philips!

Samsung were bragging about their full support over a year ago, and even a few days ago with ants post. 

As it looks all broadcasters apart from Youtube will be using that format so where does that leave us, your customers?

It was only a couple of days ago one of the moderates on these forums said all 2016 and 2017 Samsung models would support HLG, but the 2016 would not support Iplayer. It looks like from what I have read so far on this forum, the 2016 TV's will not be able to receive any HLG broadcast that's using MPEG (which is everyone apart from youtube VP9)! I think again Samsung have been very economical with the truth, enough to try to stop people returning sets, I don't think! That has fallen apart since it came to light that even their 2017 sets can broadcast, and your argument is even stronger since the BBC took them off the list. It would be interesting to see the full reason behind this.

I just find it so hard that Samsung would lie, miss lead, upset their customers for just 5 cents a telly. Tell you what I will pay that fee myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a pretty good idea about what is going on thanks to the good people in this forum doing the research, and lets not forget some Samsung moderators and co have done their best to miss lead us.

This must one of the busiest forums, but also use their facebook page and AV Forums, because it is being talked about their as well!

Hi Paul

It is working on the 2017 models as of today, or is rolling out and Blue Planet is working in UHD 4K and looking very nice.

Hopefully there is light ahead for the 2016 models, as this seems to have happened for 2017 owners sooner than expected.  

Note to my knowledge I've not had updated firmware.

Regards

Phil

Phil12
Voyager
Options

@northbay wrote:

BBC site has been updated as well: all 2017 Samsungs back on the list, and the supported devices statement:

Supported Devices

For the full benefit, you will need a HDR TV that supports HLG.  We recommend contacting manufacturers for more details about HLG support.

Blue Planet II in UHD is available on BBC iPlayer on over 200 devices until 16 January 2018. If other devices become compatible, we can make the series available on these devices too.

For Samsung users, please ensure you are using the latest firmware.

Hi

I've not seen new firmware, still on 1151.1, just double checked, so it was never that out TVs didn't support it.  I think this was an administrative issue, perhaps someone needed to pay an invoice, and now that's been done they've got the BBC to get them back on the list pronto and flick the switch.

Regards

Phil

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Just seen that 2017 are now getting it, just hope they do the right thing and enable it for the 2015 and 2016 models.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Just checked my KS9500 and no 4k or HLG!

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

So do I (as a js8000 owner). If we don't all push for Samsung to support TVs that are only 2 years old now, just imagine in 2 years time when they refuse to update your brand new 2017 TVs in two years time.

amokuk
Voyager
Options

The more I think about this the more questions i have. Basically the BBC have no reason to lie, iplayer is paid for by your license fee, it is not a commercial entity. Moreover any royalties are due to dvb-dash not the bbc. HLG is free. Owners of 2017 sets are saying no firmware update was installed and I have zero reason to doubt them when they say that, however the situation has clearly changed. The bbc are still saying make sure you have the latest firmware install, so they clearly believe it is firmware related.

Have samsung done a cheeky OTA update to the TV's that has not required a fireware version change? if thats all that was required why has that taken so long? why can it not be applied to 2016 and even 2015 tv? 

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Just seen that 2017 are now getting it, just hope they do the right thing and enable it for the 2015 and 2016 models.

Hi Paul

I hope so, I think it seems a bit more promising as this doesn't appear to have been a technical problem supporting it (on the 2017 sets anyway) as I've had no new updates so it was always capable of working, so perhaps the 2016 models are the same, and it just needs Samsung to decide to licence or pay whatever they need to enable it on iPlayer.

They should do is as it would be criminal to sell a 4K UHD TV and then not to support the main broadcaster in the UK (BBC) and not support the delivery platform for 4K HDR.

Regards

Phil

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi @amokuk

Maybe Samsung needed to pay someone else for the use of DVD-DASH, and so told the BBC to hold off, blaming firmware issues perhaps, or it was just a PR statement?  Lets face it, they are never going to publically say it's going to be delayed because they are arguing over have much they are being charged or some CEO will not sign the cheque.

We will probably never know what the cause of the delay was or why 2016 models are left in the dark ages of standard dynamic  range despite the HDR marketing of them.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi @amokuk

Maybe Samsung needed to pay someone else for the use of DVD-DASH, and so told the BBC to hold off, blaming firmware issues perhaps, or it was just a PR statement?  Lets face it, they are never going to publically say it's going to be delayed because they are arguing over have much they are being charged or some CEO will not sign the cheque.

We will probably never know what the cause of the delay was or why 2016 models are left in the dark ages of standard dynamic  range despite the HDR marketing of them.

Regards

Phil

The rub is that KS sereies iPlayer does not even support UHD forget HLG - why's that?

0 Likes
REDS42
First Poster
Options

Its working fine on my 55MU7070 now. Must be said it looks awesome.

Maybe it wasn't a firmware update to the TV, but some coding needing adding to the iplayer app itself.

0 Likes