Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-12-2017 04:21 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I am relieved that I am not the only one who thinks Samsung have have miss sold over this. They said they would support HLG full stop. As It's been said it is only Iplayer actually broadcasting HLG then it's clear as day light this is miss selling and under the 2015 European Consumer regs, that is enough to ask for a full refund from you retailer. If enough people ask for refunds I am sure pressure might be put onto Samsung to rectify this if they can. I personally think they can't and messed up big style. I would suggest all 2016 and 2017 owners contact your retailers and voice your concerns over this issue. last thing they want is you tellies back.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I have had a not recording issue with Samsung since August, and now they are saying they can not fix it and have said go back to my retailer for a refund. Problem is I got it from Amazon which after 120 days will not help if you buy through a third party i,e, DA TECH Pro, who have not replied to my emails. You lose section 75 protection as well. Now this Iplayer issue on top!  I would advise anyone who bought through Amazon or Ebay get you issue reported to them before 120 days.

Paul

Pete1234
Explorer
Options

@amokuk 

With respect I believe the app plays a greater role than you describe - It must decode the stream sent by the BBC server.  If the app.s were very simple with no processing involved then there would be no issue in enabling the HLG HDR for 2016 models - 2016 & 2017 models are stated as capable of broadcast HLG but only 2017 is set for iplayer HLG.  What is the difference between these two?  The delivery method via internet and application.  

I'm sure Samsung would be more than happy to enable iplayer HLG for 2016 if they could do it with no effort.

0 Likes
jsteve
First Poster
Options

I am a owner myself of two 2016 UEKS9000, and other 5 Samsung TVs (12 in the last 10 years)

And i am responsible  to choose/buy  the Tvs of my sister house (more 3 Samsung Tvs)

Just come ***** to inform Samsung, like i already informed last week my usual retailer of my Samsung TVs:

Starting next year i will not buy anymore  Samsung Tvs, i will switch to LG OLeds.

It’s a shame that Samsung lied and lies to is customers, and take this insulting action of not supporting,

is TVs models of 2015/2016, that are Hardware/Software capable of produce the HLG and HDR10+ formats.

Greed will make you loose customers Samsung. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Pete1234 wrote:

@amokuk 

With respect I believe the app plays a greater role than you describe - It must decode the stream sent by the BBC server.  If the app.s were very simple with no processing involved then there would be no issue in enabling the HLG HDR for 2016 models - 2016 & 2017 models are stated as capable of broadcast HLG but only 2017 is set for iplayer HLG.  What is the difference between these two?  The delivery method via internet and application.  

I'm sure Samsung would be more than happy to enable iplayer HLG for 2016 if they could do it with no effort.

Sorry not having that!  The standards for Iplayer HLG were published in 2015 Samsung have had plenty of time. As to the app, the TV's are basicaly the same so the app should work in both. As can be seen the app does not work in any Samsung TV's, and if that is some thing Samsung can not fix they have miss sold their product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete1234
Explorer
Options

I am agreeing with you. I don't think it's acceptable that the app doesn't work for any year's model.

Samsung should fix the app for all HDR capable sets.

I think you are wrong regarding the TVs being basically the same.  The screen may be the same but  the platform for apps - Tizen/Tizen 2/Tizen3 is different.  e.g. 2015 TVs were promised the Tizen2 update - it never happened.

I am trying to explain the reason why they will update 2017 but not 2016/15 - technical effort required.   I'm not saying at all that I agree with that  justification.

0 Likes
richardg
Explorer
Options

I have informed my TV supplier that, unless this firmware is fixed in time, I will be returning the TV under their 45 day "Cooling-off" period offer. There are plenty of other good TVs on the compatibility list. This is my first Samsung TV and it looks like it will be my last.

amokuk
Voyager
Options

@peter1234

im happy to conceed the point but the decoding of the signal is handled by the TV not the application as far as i am aware. For instance the plex app offloads 4k decoding to the onboard TV hardware, its why it performs better than my core i5 cpu, it does not decrypt the signal itself. If the app has nothing to hand off to then that would explain why the stream cant be decoded. BBC are not going to write routines for every TV under the sun, they rely on the underlying hardware and api access.

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

btw i have tweeted this thread to samsungtv and samsunguk twitter feeds.

0 Likes
Pete1234
Explorer
Options

@amokuk

Yes I agree I'm sure some or all of the 4k decoding is assisted by hardware specialized for that task.

As I mentioned earlier the difference between supporting broadcast HLG and iPlayer is in the delivery method.

In the case of iPlayer specifically it's using DVB-DASH(www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2017-12-uhd-hdr-trial-blue-planet-bbc-iplayer).  Support for this would need to be written into the iPlayer client. 

I speculate that the 2016 models don't have the same client as they use a different Tizen platform to 2017 and this is the reason Samsung don't want to support 2016 for this. (Perhaps some 2016 and 2017 users want to post their iplayer version numbers it might confirm or deny this idea)  Obviously only speculation.  Perhaps moderators could come back with some hard facts.

0 Likes