Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-12-2017 03:58 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Well said, but I don't think Samsung will tell us the real reason because if they have made false claims about their TV's which were false and miss leading, it would not only be their customers they would have to deal with, but also trading standards. Also the other manufacturers may feel that Samsung had an unfair advantage by making false claims about their TV's. I wonder if they also following these forums!!

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

phil i could not agree more with your post. 

You know Sony had this contempt for their customers at the time when the bravias and their stuff in general was top of the pile. Lets look at how that worked out. As far as I know the only part of sony that makes profits is the playstation arm. They essentially fund the whole corporation. I myself have refused to buy ANY Sony product since 2006 over the lik sang debacle and the root kit they put on audio cd's. Samsung if you  think that this issue and your utterly woeful response to it isn't impacting your brand, I can assure you it is. I'm sat in my office reading that my 2016 tv is now obsolete and looking at the 12 samsung tv's I have bought for my company over the years. I can assure you that unless your sort your stuff out they will not be replaced with Samsung. Neither will I personally be buying another samsung product. At this point you are now on my "never buy from them again" list along with Sony.  Do something to make me take you off that list and do it quickly.

northbay
Journeyman
Options

It seems strange that when I got my Q7F only a couple of weeks ago, it was able to play the original BBC Planet Earth HLG trial on iPlayer, but now it is unable to play the new Blue Planet 2 trial. What has the BBC changed to make it now incompatible? I'm becoming a bit nervous about whether or not even 2017 models will ever get the upgrade. After all, when the trial is over on 16 January there will be no pressure on Samsung to get it done as there will be nothing to play anyway!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

They seem to have gone quite again. I think it's a massive **** up and our TV's can not play Iplayer 4K or HLG, and Samsung will not admit it, even though the BBC have basically said that by removing all Samsung models from their list. They have had well over a year to get this right and you know what I think, they never intended them to be compatible, that's probably for the 2018 TV's.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I glad we're all requesting an answer to the Question "What's stopping Samsung from implementing Iplayer 4k HLG on the earlier sets".

Please note that in an earlier post of mine I quoted that the BBC's position at the moment is that they are ONLY considering using the iplayer for 4k and HLG distribution of their programmes and that there are NO PLANS AT PRESENT to broadcast OTA 4k HLG (no other TV companies are even considering 4k broadcasts at all yet). Which means that it's a bit pointless of Samsung to say that any of their TVs will be able to pick up and play OTA 4K HLG broadcasts. Iplayer is the only system being used for the BBC.

Phil12
Voyager
Options

@northbay wrote:

It seems strange that when I got my Q7F only a couple of weeks ago, it was able to play the original BBC Planet Earth HLG trial on iPlayer, but now it is unable to play the new Blue Planet 2 trial. What has the BBC changed to make it now incompatible? I'm becoming a bit nervous about whether or not even 2017 models will ever get the upgrade. After all, when the trial is over on 16 January there will be no pressure on Samsung to get it done as there will be nothing to play anyway!

Hi

Exactly my concern as well, I'm going to contact the retailer and log my concerns to make it easier to follow up for a refund later.

If you Google and find the Wiki entry that explains what HLG is the first sentence is:  Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) is a high dynamic range (HDR) standard that was jointly developed by the BBC and NHK. The first sentence includes the BBC, so I can't see how legally Samsung could argue they support broadcast HLG so that is HLG support as advertised, when the BBC doesn't broadcast HLG to my knowledge on anything, it's only on iPlayer, which the 2016 and older models will not be updated to support. HLG and BBC go hand in hand, if the TV doesn't work with the delivery methods the BBC is using for HLG, the support for HLG is incomplete and it isn't supported.

As far as the general public is concerned in the UK, iPlayer is broadcast TV, as the programs on there are also broadcast! Samsung arguing over semantics to get of this hole is just going to make things worse for them as people aren't stupid.

This is the first Samsung product I've ever owned, don't make it the last Samsung.

Regards

Phil

northbay
Journeyman
Options

I don't know how Samsung can justify saying that they support HLG and they support BBC iPlayer, but not HLG delivered over iPlayer! It's crazy. I suspect it is only a matter of policy that they are not planning to update 2016 models and if they can string it out for long enough, 2017 models might well end up in the same boat.

amokuk
Voyager
Options

If I had just bought a 2017 QLED i would be very worried about this. Samsung are showing form by dropping support for the 2016 models after less than 12 months ( its about 8 months i think from release). 

0 Likes
Pete1234
Explorer
Options

Likewise, the response we have received begs a lot of questions.

What is the reason you will not be enabling broadcast HLG HDR on sets earlier than 2016?

What is the reason you will not be enabling iplayer HLG HDR on sets earlier than 2017?

- Is there a technical blocker for either of these omissions?  If so what is it?

- Or is the reason that you do not want to spend the resources to enable this on an a slightly older platform?  Subjectively my own set is <2 Years old so that seems like very short term support if true.

IMO the reason for the Iplayer omission on 2016 and older sets may be due to the app - I'm assuming 2016 models have a different set of app.s to 2017, just as 2015 -2016 are different.  They do not think it's worth their while to update the older versions of these app.s for the older sets as there are no new sales in it for them.  

We were asked for sensible replies by the moderator, please give us some sensible answers.

amokuk
Voyager
Options

I dont think it can be the app. Thats just a weblike front end for content pushed by the BBC. The app connects back to BBC and says her3 (why are you banning the word her3?) I am and these are my capabilities, the BBC pushes content. As far as im concerned no app updated is needed and that is somewhat confirmed by BBC. Once the firmware is release the BBC say this will just work.

0 Likes