Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-12-2017 02:39 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options
Yes, if lots of people tweet it may get picked up. The more the better
Baulds
Explorer
Options

Count me in. I'll pop them a wee email when I get home tonight. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Paul,  with on this one but I fear we are on a losing wicket with respect to any legal rights. Morally speaking though  it is appalling really as since you suggested Samung put themselves put there as leading the way. I did a lot of research before ploughing £1200 into a top end 2016 set and assumed (now naively) that I was buying a set that would be all singing and dancing (accepting the flux in hdr standards). Best advice now is vote with your  on any future buys. Samsung may have some nice products but their customer service is rock bottom  rubbish. 

You may be right but I still think Samsung not only miss lead us but actually lied. If this can be shown, and I think it can because of the press release's from Samsung I think under the European consumer reg's people  may have a claim for miss selling. Thing is you have to take the claim against the retailer and I know some are trying to cop out on this saying they are not responsible for apps on the TV's. People ask the questions and record the answers, because it has to be able to do as advertised and also any questions you ask of it's compatibilities must be accurate.

I got a full refund from PC World with a JS8000 due to it being able to play Netflix HDR (had to threaten to take legal action). I now kick myself for buying another Samsung. It did seem the best at the time!

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options
Let me know how you get on. I bought my set from John Lewis so may try and pursue via them as nothing to lose. I am more actively pursuing Samsung s2 smartwatch which I bought at November 2015 launch and STILL no Samsung Pay despite it featuring heavily in their marketing at time.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Yes put as much presure as possibe, also AV Forums, their Facebook pages (seems I have been blocked hey ho), twitter. citzens advice is a good one for the miss selling issue, and anywhere else you can think of. Also you have the American Samsung Facebook and AVS Forums, which may shame them. As mentioned ***** writing to Samsung MD won't hurt either. It's a case of shouting for what is right!

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

You could well make a case for having a reasonable expectation of support for a premium product. When you are spending £1500 on something then it is not unreasonable to expect that they wont drop support for that product in under 12 months. We are not asking for the earth *****, we are asking for a huge company that makes huge amounts of profit to reasonably support one of their products. being told 2016 SUHD sets are no longer being supported is not acceptable.

ARE YOU LISTENING SAMSUNG?

0 Likes
Mickpescador
Apprentice
Options

Hi

Just recieved this email from Samsung Support. I just kept sending emails since last Saturday.

“This is to acknowledge that we have already received your email, we do apologise for the inconvenience it caused you. Rest assured everything will be taken care of by Samsung.

In regard to your concern, there's no Samsung TV is currently enabled for the version of iPlayer required to access it. We are working closely with the BBC to enable our 2017 Samsung UHD models (MU & QE) to access the service. We sincerely apologise for this service will not appear on 2014, 15 or 16 models (HU, JU, JS, KU or KS).”

Okay, maybe, for me, I have a 2017 MU model, but I feel sorry for all the owners of 2016 and earlier. Not good. I have been badgering them on Facebook Messenger as well but still no answer. Will post if I get one but fear it will be similar.

Pete1234
Explorer
Options

This is hopeless Support.

I have a JU7000  TV.  While not top of the range it wasn't cheap.  It's less than 2 years old but Samsung are telling us there will be no updates of value to it.  Frankly this is a bit pathetic.  Less than 2 years is inadequate to write something off like that.  Even a pc lasts on average around 3 years(standard depreciation index). 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Complain and complain to every forum you can. Social media use it.

Grinch
Explorer
Options

Hi

The whole Samsung fiasco is confusing. Just seen this on Twitter from What Hi-Fi(https://t.co/gN4NSl2rkD).

”Most big-name manufacturers have confirmed that their 2017 sets will be HLG ready, with Samsung and LG also confirming that their 2016 HDR TVs will receive HLG support via a firmware update. Yes, it can come with an update to some 4K TVs, which is good news.
Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hybrid-log-gamma-explained-new-hdr-tv-broadcast-format#9k7guTFlXvijv...

So what is going on, can anyone from Samsung tell us the Truth. As for not supporting a product more than 3 years is disgusting, I’m wondering about the EU guarantee of 2 years and complying to Cuurys that my KS9000 is faulty because it cannot receive iPlayer HLG programmes.

0 Likes