Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-12-2017 12:05 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I know Samsung lie, mislead, and then just ignore and hope you will go away. There was a response on these forums from Samsung saying Samsung are supporting HLG, yet I got an email from Samsung support saying they are not supporting 2016 Models. They don't even know what each department is saying. They are basically saying Trusted reviews and What HI FI are lying with their article last Dec 2016 and June 2017 when  they contacted Samsung, told them, they were fully supporting HLG in their 2016 sets. Now they  emailed me to say they never said that!

There are those who are on these forums that I am convince are from Samsung because they seem to blame every thing on any thing else, apart from maybe, excepting that the TV's may have a fault! 

They can do this because they know that we as consumers can never go after them for recourse, we have to go after the retailers, and if you buy from Amazon the look out, and if you buy from a third party from Amazon or Ebay again watch out.

You loose your section 75 credit protection, which I found out to my cost.

All in all a very bitter experience. 

Yes I will write Samsung MD, and I will keep writing to show what Samsung are like. I am now retired from the fire service and have lots of time, and know my way around social media so I will just make as much noise as I can!

Thanks

Paul

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I have now come to the conclusion that you can not be trusted to give a proper and truthful support. I can not believe Trusted reviews or what Hi Fi would say you were fully supporting HLG if you were not! As to my issue of it not recording, yes you have changed the main board, I have tried 4 different drive and it still does not work. You have replaced for others, why not for me? As I said in your forums I am a retired firefighter and this was my retirement present for a stress free experience. We could have bought similar for a lot less but we wanted or thought a company like yours we would have no probs. How wrong we were! Its not only the TV not recording but now the lack of HLG support which we thought was a future update. My son did say to buy Panasonic and now I think he may be right (not maybe but was)!  I am not giving up, I am retired and have plenty of time to pass on my bad experience to all that wish to hear.

Paul
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Mickpescador wrote:

Hi. Have just got this after a live chat with Samsung support.

“As of the moment no Samsung TV has enabled the Blue Planet 2 for we are still working on it to make it happen. Approximately, second week of January this might be available to our 2017 TV models. We will send you email notification To your email address once this has been enabled”

I did tell him it would probably be too late! 

I thought I would contact Live Support just to see if I got anything different, basically same message but I  was also informed the trial would be extended for this reason, they didn't seem in mood to comment further.  Afterwards I tweeted  BBCiplayer to see if they had any further information and mentioned the response copying in Samsung  Support, thus far only response from Samsung.  Now a somewhat contradictory statement:

"For 2017 models we are working with the BBC to provide access to this service and hope to have it available soon. It is not expected to be available in time to view the current BBC UHD Content, but is expected to be in place for any future content offered by The BBC"     Would think extension on Iplayer not too likely though!

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I did what I suggested as a work around. I bought the roku streaming stick+. I tried the BBC iplayer app in the beta testing UHD trial, here's what I found:- It worked well but that HLG didn't have any effect on the js8000 (as I suspected). The image was clearer than the standard 720 iplayer image, however I compared it to the image from the original 1080p broadcast as recorded on my humax HDR2000t. I photographed the same section of video then enlarged both images to the point of seeing individual pixels, and to be honest, the image was no sharper than the OTA broadcast.

When I subsequently went to play the trial UHD again it said sorry there must be a problem, try again later. I did this several times and could NOT access the UHD trial again. Obviously I'm under-impressed by this. I'm taking the roku stick+ back today for a refund.

The BBC are still in the trial period and I suspect they have a lot more to do to perfect it, especially as the supposed UHD image was no sharper than the OTA broadcast 1080p.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@crashcris wrote:

I did what I suggested as a work around. I bought the roku streaming stick+. I tried the BBC iplayer app in the beta testing UHD trial, here's what I found:- It worked well but that HLG didn't have any effect on the js8000 (as I suspected). The image was clearer than the standard 720 iplayer image, however I compared it to the image from the original 1080p broadcast as recorded on my humax HDR2000t. I photographed the same section of video then enlarged both images to the point of seeing individual pixels, and to be honest, the image was no sharper than the OTA broadcast.

When I subsequently went to play the trial UHD again it said sorry there must be a problem, try again later. I did this several times and could NOT access the UHD trial again. Obviously I'm under-impressed by this. I'm taking the roku stick+ back today for a refund.

The BBC are still in the trial period and I suspect they have a lot more to do to perfect it, especially as the supposed UHD image was no sharper than the OTA broadcast 1080p.

That is frustrating that you could only access the trial on the  one ocassion and it wasn't that impressive but had some doubts, actually I had tweeted Roku Support to find out further information but not heard anything back from them yet. However on checking specifications it seemed that Roku supported HR10, HLG was not mentioned.  Certainly not satisfactory and I would certainly take  The Roku stick+ back for Refund if you don't have much use for it otherwise.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@crashcris wrote:

The TV has still to be able to convert the HLG signal so it can switch to the HDR settings (full backlight, etc). I had the JS8000 but sent it back when Netflix started broadcasting in HDR and even though I was told it was HDR compatible it could not receive Netflix HDR. Samsung tried to say they never said that it would support Netflix, but they never said it would not. I asked if it was HDR compatible and was told it was. Miss selling. Same thing here with the 2016 UHD TV's in that Samsung informed various publications that they were fully supporting HLG in their 2016 UHD TV's(they now deny they ever said such a thing. It's in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews).  As Iplayer was the only broadcaster at the time planning to use HLG it is very hard to understand how Samsung can now say they are not supporting it, when they said they were going to fully support HLG!  Thing is it was advertising, they made a claim about the capabilities of their 2016 TV's, and now they are withdrawing that. That is a clear breach of the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs! So Samsung keep your word and sort this out, even if it means changing the main boards to sort it out.

northbay
Journeyman
Options

Vincent Teoh has just posted a video on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Jg4-ndUJI, giving a detailed comparison of 4K HLG via iPlayer on an LG B7 versus 4k SDR from a Sky Q box.... so we all know what we're missing!

crashcris
Voyager
Options

I bought it through Tesco click and collect, so they said it wouldn't be a prob to return. It's a great little streaming device but it doesn't offer anything I want that my js8000 doesn't already, except of course, BBC iplayer UHD which was no better than the OTA (in my test).

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Yes, but despite what both Netflix and Samsung said was NOT possible at various times, they DID eventually support Netflix UHD HDR (a few months ago) on the 2015 eu55js8000. Let's face it, if your questions to their help desk is anything other than "How to I switch the TV on or off ?" then you're liable to get a vague, non-commital and most likely, inaccurate (the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing) answer.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Yes, but despite what both Netflix and Samsung said was NOT possible at various times, they DID eventually support Netflix UHD HDR (a few months ago) on the 2015 eu55js8000. Let's face it, if your questions to their help desk is anything other than "How to I switch the TV on or off ?" then you're liable to get a vague, non-commital and most likely, inaccurate (the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing) answer.

But is that not a big issue in that it took so long to sort and more importantly when I asked them if the were going to update they would not give me any answer. As you say ask them for anything and getting a vague answer, then does this not show how poor their customer support is. They have replied to my email asking about this HLG in 2016 models, and their reply is shown below.

"Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is ******.

This is to acknowledge that we have already received your email, we do apologise for the inconvenience it caused you. Rest assured everything will be taken care of by Samsung.

In regard to your concern, Samsung doesn't formally filed any statement to any forums which include trusted reviews or any website that all 2016 UHD HDR TV will support HLG broadcast.  We were solely informed that no other legacy UHD TV’s are included. This service will not appear on 2014,15 or 16 models (HU, JU, JS, KU or KS). We are working closely with the BBC to enable our 2017 Samsung UHD models (MU & QE) only to access the service.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for understanding."

It's funny how both Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi both said they had been informed by Samsung that their 2016 models would be fully HLG supported!  Who do you beleive?

I far as I am concerned it is not the way to do business. If they say it can do something then it must be able to do, and it it can only do a part of some thing then customers should be informed of that also. It is not like they are selling other manufactures tech, they design and manufacture these TV's. So there is no excuse for giving wrong information.

Paul