Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 12-12-2017 04:53 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Tezz wrote:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/161-camcorders/2925870-sample-gh5-hlg-clips.html

I just tried them from my nas and no HDR or HLG. But they play in HLG on a OLED TV.

The Jazz one works but shows it is HDR but the TravelXP 4k HLG one will not work and shows not compatible, and when I tried again got an error. They are both *.ts files. They will both play on my laptop and on checking the file info in MPC-HC I know why.

The jazz file is combined HLG / BT.2020 which will play as a HDR. The Travel file shows a just HLG and will play on the laptop but not the KS9500.  This only comfirms what I already thought and that unlike the so called statement ants release, Samsung have not updated the TV's to play any HLG broadcasts. What is so annoying is not only being lied to but also being treated as *****s. We will test and not just take their word.

I have tried the youtube HLG demo's and none kicked in with the contrast, the normal HDR demos did work OK.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

I'm sure I've already linked to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgrX-lcGcVg where you have a link on the page to download the original file, or search the net for "GH5 HLG download sample" to search for others.  The Panasonic GH5 camera only records using HLG for HDR footage, and if you want to check the file is an HLG file from a Panasonic GH5 then search the net for a program called "MediaInfo" which allows you to right click on any media file on your PC and read all about it.  

HDR is now a generic term that we call any content that has larger dynamic range than standard TV.  HLG, HDR10, Dolby Vision and Advanced HDR are just different ways to record the extra dynamic range, but it's all HDR.  

Edit, more footage http://demo-uhd3d.com

Regards

Phil

I played the sample   https://youtu.be/tGONRUtwEdo, which did go into HDR mode so if this is a HLG then I except the TV has been updated, but that still does not get them out of not supporting Iplayer HLG.

Thanks

Paul.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Phil12 wrote:

Hi

I've downloaded that clip and checked it and can confirm it is a Panasonic GH5 HLG clip at 10-bit.

I still think 2016 models will get updated to support HLG via iPlayer in the longer term, after all these TVs do support HLG, and given iPlayer is many months away from having any other HLG footage except for testing Blue Planet which is then only available for 30 days,  having no support currently on iPlayer for 2016 models isn't much of a hardship.

I would still try and return your TV though given it will not record reliably.

Regards

Phil

Yes I have tried a few samples of HLG which worked, so I will get off my high horse with that issue, and agree all is OK, except for Iplayer. It is odd though with the first broadcast and Samsung is unable to use it, unlike Panasonic, which is a shame, because I watched the planet earth on my son's TV, and it was very very good.

The recording is another matter, and Samsung are not very helpful. The problem I have is I bought the TV from Amazon last Jan from a third party DA Tech Pro. When the problem came about Amazon said I was past the 120 day A to Z, so would not help. DA TECH said I should contact Samsung and now does not answer any more emails, and there is no contact number that I can find. I can not get a section 75 credit refund because I bought the TV through a third party (Amazon) so loose section 75 protection (which I did not know about, and Amazon do not tell you). So I am only left with firstly Samsung helping, or take DA Tech to court. The first option is the one I had hoped for, they have changed the one connect and main board, but it still only works occasionally. Court is a serious step especially when I can not get hold of DA Tech Pro, and there is no sign of them when I do a search. Thing is you think when buying from Amazon you would be safe for at least the first year but you are not. 

This is why I feel some what let down as this was a retirement gift and I know its not a big issue for the money I would expect to work as advertised and if not would expect Samsung to sort it out quickly. Or am I being unreasonable?

Tezz
Voyager
Options

If any of you want to take this further then see the link

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/index.cfm?event=main.home.show&lng=EN

0 Likes
Mickpescador
Apprentice
Options

Hi. Have just got this after a live chat with Samsung support.

“As of the moment no Samsung TV has enabled the Blue Planet 2 for we are still working on it to make it happen. Approximately, second week of January this might be available to our 2017 TV models. We will send you email notification To your email address once this has been enabled”

I did tell him it would probably be too late! 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Mickpescador wrote:

“As of the moment no Samsung TV has enabled the Blue Planet 2 for we are still working on it to make it happen. Approximately, second week of January this might be available to our 2017 TV models. We will send you email notification To your email address once this has been enabled”

Well this is quite extraordinary though did see post yesterday indicating no guarantee for 2017 models either, Blue Planet II as per standard is only available for 30 days and therefore 9th January would seem to be the last time the HLG  version is accessible. If advisor is correct very tight in making it before deadline, assuming 8th January would be the earliest possible unless the BBC extend it but that would seem unlikely.    I just wonder at the technical difficulties Samsung encountering and if they were a bit slow off the mark, know different systems but LG and Panasonic for instance were able to provide Iplayer support for older models.

When purchasing a TV last month I had limited choices but did favour Samsung over Panasonic, knew HDR  more for the future but Samsung did at least claim 2017 models would be supported in the trial. Whilst I can view the UHD version via Skyq would still be very  disappointed if cannot view HLG version as by many accounts it is superior.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Tezz
Voyager
Options

@Mickpescador wrote:

That doesn't sound to hopful   😞

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Ok, so, I'm one of those who has an ancient telly, way too old to be even on Samsung's radar as far as upgrading it to play HLG (on either iplayer or OTA broadcast). My telly is TWO years old! (I know, I should throw it in the bin and hang my head in shame). I have the js8000 of which you speak and what you wrote was true. Samsung did say that Netflix UHD HDR was not possible on my set, however, surprise surprise, earlier this year we received a firmware update and now both Amazon Prime and Netflix play 4k UHD in HDR. Youtube plays 4k but still no HDR. 

I don't know what the technical issues are preventing the iplayer on my and your sets is but I rather feel it's as much to do with the BBC having to adjust the in-TV app as much as it is to do with a Samsung firmware issue. I had my js8000 for 1.5 years before the Netflix HDR was implemented. It could be some time before Samsung and the BBC get round to sorting the compatability issues with each model. Or they might never bother hoping we'll buy a newer model. Just because the scant bit of information given from Samsung is disappointing I'd take heart from the fact they did (eventually) give us 2015 js8000/js8500 owners, Netflix UHD HDR.

Of course this has left me extremely frustrated feeling that I won't be able to enjoy the limited run of Blue Planet II in UHD, however there is a work through of sorts which will cost us £79.99. The very latest Roku Streaming Stick+ is listed on the BBC website as fully compatible, quite what happens to a UHD HLG image when it's plugged in to my js8000 is anybody's guess. I expect it'll be in UHD but not pop with colours as it should in HLG, but then again it might say it's not compatible at all with the telly and revert to 720 HD. Perhaps someone with greater knowlege could give me an idea what to expect.

Bottom line, don't give up hope, it may still happen (just not in the time frame we'd wish for).

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Thats a very interesting reply and I thank you for it. I also has a JS800 but managed to take it back for a refund due to the Netflix issue and was told at the time that the TV could not be updated (by both Netflix at first and eventually Samsung)! I did get the Panasonic and did watch the first HLG Blue Planet test on it. That went blank so that went back. When I bought the 65KS9500 I was aware of HLG and when I saw the Trusted (Dec 2026) reveiw saying that Samsung were supporting all 2016 UHD with an update(link in one of messages), and also saw in What HI FI (June 2017) I went for that model and not a replacement Panasonic. As I have said in a previous message Samsung support have told me that they are not supporting 2016 models (they also said they never informed any one that they would be support HLG in the 2016 models, so some one not telling the truth), yet some on ***** said they were. The other big issue is why can Panasonic and LG and others support Iplayer HLG and not Samsung? Does not make sense. 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

It is all very frustrating as these TVs cost a small fortune and we should be able to get many years of use out of them and updates should make them compatable. I've learnt to take responses from Samsung with a pinch of salt. When you speak to someone there and they investigate and get back to you, you can be sure that they won't necessarilly have spoken to the technical programmers responsible for whatever problems you're enquiring about. I've had the same sort of run arounds from Yamaha for my AVR. 

I expect your set will one day get the upgrade it deserves (mine, I'm not so sure) they just won't commit to any specific time frame. Besides, there is only the one BBC series on offer at the moment (as a test) and who knows when the next 4k offering from BBC will be (probably Strictly Come Dancing at the end of next year). 

On a side note concerning Samsung saying that the 2016 sets WILL be able to play "over the air" 4k in HLG (and not iplayer). It's a bit of a moot point because I read that the BBC have LITTLE OR NO PLANS to broadcast in UHD over the air as it was complicated and very expensive, so they were putting their energy into the iplayer as the route for watching 4k TV! The extract below is taken from the BBC Blog page. To view the page, Google "BBC Blogs academy. What does the future hold for UHD?"

"The BBC has started UHD trials, experimenting first with iPlayer streaming pictures over the internet. It will be a long time though before the BBC will be broadcasting all output in UHD, and possibly never.

Andrew Dunne, the post production technology manager for Worldwide, says the future of UHD is less about broadcast and more about an iPlayer delivered service.

“There will always be a market for event TV, but most UHD content will be on-demand and streamed.”

That kind of makes Samsung's stance rather rocky. "We'll make sure your TV can receive broadcasts that literally no broadcaster is going to be broadcasting for at least 5 years and possibly never, but you won't be able to benefit from the iplayer app now".  Samsung need to sort this out now, don't you think?