Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 11-12-2017 12:57 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

Again, I don't work for Samsung.

I believe a moderator has posted the official stance on HLG in that it is supported by 2016 TVs, but not via iPlayer which is something different by the sounds of it. 

Regards

Phil

OK you don't work for them, 

Yes a moderator has posted a typical answer that only asks more questions.

What is the difference between Iplayer HGL and HGL when it seems to be only Iplayer pushing this tech at the moment?

Why does it state it will support 2017 TV's for Iplayer HGL but not 2016 TV's.

They stated that all 2016 TV's would support HGL, but now only 2017 for Iplayer, to me that is a cop out for all the 2016 owners, and away to break their promise as HGL should work were ever it is broadcast from, if the TV has the update.

How can I test if I actually have the HGL update if I can not test it on Iplayer who are the only one's broadcastion it. 

Why are they only supporting 2017 TV's and not 2016 TV's as they promised, and I mean in respect to Iplayer, because again they are the only broadcaster.

This reminds me of their so called fully HDR 10 support with their JS models, when Netflix started broadcasting, the JS models could not receive it and could not be updated. I took mine back and got a full refund from PC World for miss selling. My son bought a Panasonic which last year could receive Iplayer HGL when they did the 2 min test. So one of the things I was looking for was this HGL support and I read in Trusted reviews that all Samsung TV's would support it (nothing about no support for Iplayer, which they should have stated they were not supporting). So I am still think that this is mis selling and the statemnt was sent out to muddy and confuse us owners. I am not confused but annoyed, and feel very let down, after buying an expensive TV with the latest tech and so called update to HGL promised!

Grinch
Explorer
Options

Hi

Just been reading through this thread and do agree with the comments about how poorly Samsung have responded and behaved to this issue. I have KS9000 and believed it was an all singing and dancing piece of equipment that can easily upgraded as enhancements become available.

How misguided I have been in believing what the Salesman said and the glowing reports in the press about this product. So a year later I am now informed it is unlikely the 2016 models will be able to see any HDR HLG programmes on the BBC iPlayer as there is unlikely to be a firmware update. Guess though I shouldn’t really be surprised, just another miss selling example, so we might as well all get used to it.

Of course I could be pleasantly surprised and Samsung do the right thing and do make a firmware available for the 2016 models.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Grinch wrote:

Hi

Just been reading through this thread and do agree with the comments about how poorly Samsung have responded and behaved to this issue. I have KS9000 and believed it was an all singing and dancing piece of equipment that can easily upgraded as enhancements become available.

How misguided I have been in believing what the Salesman said and the glowing reports in the press about this product. So a year later I am now informed it is unlikely the 2016 models will be able to see any HDR HLG programmes on the BBC iPlayer as there is unlikely to be a firmware update. Guess though I shouldn’t really be surprised, just another miss selling example, so we might as well all get used to it.

Of course I could be pleasantly surprised and Samsung do the right thing and do make a firmware available for the 2016 models.

Take it back and ask for a refund for miss selling under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs. If every one does it may embarrasses Samsung into sorting this out.

dazzasky
Apprentice
Options

It's an absolutely bloody disgrace Samsung. You should be ashamed of yourselves. 2015 Panosonics have had the update so why can't 2016 models? This is miselling, you did it before and and now again. It will be the last time I ever buy a Samsung product. Your phones are crap, your customer service is crap. I will tell anyone that will listen to me to never buy a Samsung product. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@dazzasky wrote:

It's an absolutely bloody disgrace Samsung. You should be ashamed of yourselves. 2015 Panosonics have had the update so why can't 2016 models? This is miselling, you did it before and and now again. It will be the last time I ever buy a Samsung product. Your phones are crap, your customer service is crap. I will tell anyone that will listen to me to never buy a Samsung product. 

I just hope others think the same. I would advise looking at going for a refund under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs for miss selling. It is obvious that they are nit supporting HGL on 2016 TV's because it is only BBC Iplayer that is using it! They have said that their 2016 sets will not support Iplayer HGL MISS SELLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I just hope others think the same. I would advise looking at going for a refund under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs for miss selling. It is obvious that they are nit supporting HGL on 2016 TV's because it is only BBC Iplayer that is using it! They have said that their 2016 sets will not support Iplayer HGL MISS SELLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Small thing, it's HLG (for Hybrid Log Gamma) not HGL.

"I would advise looking at going for a refund under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs"

Indeed this is good advice if this feature is required and the set was bought needing this, however these 2016 model TVs do support HLG, they just don't support it via iPlayer as yet anyway.  iPlayer doesn't even support HLG as standard, this is still a trial by the BBC and things are likely to change and TVs that do support it now, may not later.  It may be many months or a year or more before we get more UHD content on iPlayer, and it might be the case once the standard is fixed and out of BETA it will be supported on the 2016 models with a new version of iPlayer.

I would caution though that if the retailer decides to allow your case for refund to go to court, I doubt you would win a refund on the basis a test trial of HLG footage on BBC iPlayer isn't supported, when Samsung never claimed it would be.

So lets keep this in perspective, this is a trial by the BBC of HLG content on selected TVs, which Samsung have said their 2016 TVs are not part of.  It sounds like you have buyers remorse and wish you waited to buy a 2017 model, like wise I guess I could feel the same next year when I find my 2017 model doesn't do something the 2018 new ones do, but that is the nature of this beast, and long gone are the days when we bought a TV and kept it for 20 years or more.

Also note that even the 2017 models don't support 4K UHD HLG on iPlayer yet, and we don't know if the issues will be fixed in time before the content disappears from iPlayer.

I would pursue a refund on your TV on the basis it doesn't record correctly which is a more fundamental problem, you are getting nowhere here by complaining. 

Regards

Phil

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

You make some good points Phil12. I think the point is that Samsung chose to come out early as one of the only manufacturers to say their 2016 sets would support HLG with a firmware update. Now whilst the fact the 2016 sets are not part of the blue planet  II trial doesn't negate this.. it does point to Samsung not exactly moving quickly to have got all models updated so that older models could have been compatible with trial. Personally I have found Samsungs customer service model in the dark ages. I live mentioned in a previous post about their bending of the truth when marketing the s2 watch in the Uk with respect to Samsung Pay (this is a much stronger case for consumers! and one I'm pursuing) 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Samsung informed the public via a press release last year that they would support HLG fully, as did Panasonic. Panasonic's TV do support and do broadcast HLG (my son has one, and it does look good). Therefore if they can fully support it then there is no reason why Samsung who promised to can not! Yes there is buyers remorse because I have not got what I was promised, and also a set that was a lot more expensive than the Panasonic, which also will not record and no help from Samsung. The consumer regs I believe stand, because they said they would fully support the tech as others have done. They did not discriminate between different types of HLG (if there are different types), but said they would fully support it in their 2016 sets. As iplayer were at that time the only broadcaster announcing plans to test and broadcast HLG, then it is not unreasonable to expect the Sansung TV to support that format as other manufacturers have done.  I agree that whenyou buy there is tech around the corner that you wished you had waited for but that as you said is life. HLG was not around the corner but was promised this November they (said the update would be out, What Hi FI).

I bought a Denon surround and was told DTS-X would be supplied via software update and yes it came as promised, but not with Samsung and they say there loyal existing customers have to wait so they can cater for new customers and why can they just not give the update to all there customers that they promised they would do? The actual tech I would have thought would be same, unless like the JS models which the said they were fully HDR but could not receive Netflix HDR broadcasts (which I did receive a full refund for miss selling under the regs).

Paul

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

"Samsung informed the public via a press release last year that they would support HLG fully"

This is my point though, iPlayer is just a trial, and Samsung are not taking part in this trial with their 2016 models.  I would also think a large percentage of 2016 buyers would also have partnered their TV with a UHD Blu-ray player (as there was even fewer ways of watching 4K UHD HDR last year) and they have already Blue Planet on disc and will purchase this latest series as well, and it will look even better on Blu-ray.

We know Samsung have a techincal issue with HLG on iPlayer as we are still waiting for this on the 2017 models, so I can understand if the same issue exists on 2016 models and that they will not be able to fix them all and test each model in time to get the fix out there before the program expires from iPlayer, so concentrating on a smaller number of TV models to fix in time for the trial makes sense.

If iPlayer gets upgraded from a test to a full release and the 2016 models are still left in the cold then yes I think it is completely valid for 2016 owners to be annoyed and seek refunds and it could be argued they are mis-sold, but currently this is only a trial and time limted at that from the BBC.  It may even be the case the same issue applies for 2017 owners as we do know they are having issues.

I don't think legally at this time anyone could claim of mis-selling just because a time limited test of HLG content from the BBC isn't working on 2016 Samsung TV models.  It's not good PR on Samsungs part that is for sure, and it's good we are discussing it so that other people can see the hassles people are having, but it is still very early days with this.

Regards

Phil