Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-07-2019 08:07 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options
Thanks Wally - I've read that but still speculation. We live in hope though :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Wally12
Explorer
Options
My TV is now offering 1240 firmware update over the air (OTA).
I will not take it straight away as 1239 works well.
0 Likes
IamaTV
First Poster
Options

@Wally12 wrote:
My TV is now offering 1240 firmware update over the air (OTA).
I will not take it straight away as 1239 works well.

I can’t login to my old Samsung account because I no longer have the mobile number used for two factor authenticion and don’t have the backup codes.. oops!

Anyway I had the 1239.1 installed in preparation for the Sky Q HDR update but didn’t realise OTA autoupdate was turned on and well now I have 1240 installed.

If I can do anything to test anything for people then please let me know!

Dazeboy
Explorer
Options

I just pulled the trigger and updated from 1239 too 1240 it didn't even download any data it took less than a second so I guess it's just a version number bump so everyone is on the same version number

rozel
Voyager
Options
Thanks guys - I shall update later
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I've just received an Email notifying me, that for Wimbledon tennis this year, they'll be streaming all the centre court matches in UHD HLG as the continue to trial this service. The Email is below-

This is an update to let you know that we're showing this year's Centre Court matches from Wimbledon in stunning Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range and a wider range of colours live on BBC iPlayer.

You'll need:

1. A compatible Ultra HD TV set from our list of supported devices found here:

BBC iPlayer Help - Can I watch Wimbledon 2019 in Ultra HD?

2. A high-speed internet connection of at least 20Mbit/s for 2560 pixel Ultra HD or 40Mbit/s for the full 3840 pixel Ultra HD experience. It's recommended that a wired connection from the TV to the home router is used for the most consistent performance.

To start watching the live stream in Ultra HD, either:

• Press the Red Button while watching the BBC's coverage on BBC One or BBC Two
• Open the BBC iPlayer app on your connected TV. The Ultra HD stream will be available from the BBC iPlayer home screen as soon as programme coverage begins.

As with previous live Ultra HD trials, there's a limited number of spaces for each match with the stream available to tens of thousands of people on a first come, first served basis. So join the trial early for the best seats on the court.

Thanks again for your interest, we will be in touch again the next time a UHD programme becomes available.

Thank you for contacting us.

BBC iPlayer Team
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I tried the HLG/UHD Wimbledon service last year  and it was pretty impressive, though confined to centre court and it was fine for me on  a wireless connection via a TV fairly close to the router.   Usuallly i did not have much trouble accessing the service, though possibly more folk will be aware this time.  In the meantime my Broadband has been upgraded from  Fibre to Fibre Max, so will be interesting  to see if that makes a difference.

The only thing is that the stream is slightly behind live play on the braodcasting channel, though this applies to these types of services whether HD or UHD.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Has anyone watched Wimbledon in HLG using Roku streaming stick?I did  not see any UHD streams on Iplayer for centre court live.? I have KS9500 model tv. 

leopard
First Poster
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Has anyone watched Wimbledon in HLG using Roku streaming stick?I did  not see any UHD streams on Iplayer for centre court live.? I have KS9500 model tv. 

You need to click on see all other matches and only one of them will have UHD written on it and that’s the one you need to select to watch it in UHD HLG

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options
I did not see any with UHD . May be there were none. Was nadal Match in UHD?
0 Likes