Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

YouTube on Samsung UE40KU6400

(Topic created on: 27-09-2017 07:06 PM)
JimC
Journeyman
Options

I'm having issues with YouTube on my Samsung smart tv (I bought it last February). The tv required an update last week, which I duly installed. Since then, YouTube isn't responding to either remote control, so I re-installed it.

Everything then seemed fine until the next time I wanted to use YouTube and the problem had returned. Re-installing seems to cure things on a one time basis.

Is this a known issue, and if so, is there anything I can do to rectify matters?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

21 REPLIES 21
joe-90
Journeyman
Options

This is a hot issue for Samsung Smart TV customers. Samsung has deleted the You Tube app from its Smart TVs. There is a new possibility (Mirroring) for newer TVs, but that does not address the difficulty that has been caused. It also introduces the concern that Samsung might withdraw other support such as Mirror casting in a little while.

The issue also affects screen casting from Android devices. Following the Nougat s/w update Samsung 'phones no longer talk to Samsung TVs, regardless of age.

I see lots of negative comments about Samsung, which may be correct but are not helpful.

In the hope that it will help others, here is my own solution. We are running a Samsung Note 5, and a Samsung S7 and trying to cast to a Samsung TV series UE50. Casting used to work, as did You Tube, but both now fail.

Our solution was to download AllShare from the Play Store to our 'phones. Immediately the TV showed up again and we can cast photos, videos and music from our 'phones to the TV without further issue. Great result!

You Tube casting is a litle trickier, but still possible. To do it, you need to ask AllShare for Online sharing. Then open the You Tube video you want to cast, and select Share (the circular arrow). Then you get a list of ways to share, including AllShare. Press AllShare and you get a choice to Queue or view immediately. Press either of these and it wil start to stream (or if queued it will wait for the current content to finish). For some reason it will not cast You Tube videos directly, but the above workaround is fine for us. Quality is excellent. We were so happy we bought the app (2.99 Euros), but it's free if you don't mind the ads.

...Samsung have messed up the customer communication, but technically it is not their fault. The DNLA (Digital Living Network Alliance) solution that they use still works just fine, which is how AllShare can connect to the TV. The issue is that YouTube no longer supports many of the formats used in DNLA and is migrating to HTML5 instead, which unfortunately the older TVs seem unable to deal with. Why Samsung stopped QuickConnect as well is beyond my ken, and will cost them consumer loyalty. Come on Samsung - either approve AllShare as one of your apps (or something similar) or at least let your customers know that it answers their needs.

If this has helped, please indicate by 'liking' it. Maybe that will give Samsung cause for thought!

0 Likes
SINCE
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

After long time searching on the Net, I am glad to find someone having the same exact problem.

I tried smarthub reset, complete tv reset but did not help. 

I believe it is a combined issue of youtube +  samsung firmware.

Other than resetting the hub or power off the tv set to overcome the issue, I found an easy way to make the tv to reload youtube. I change the language from expert settings of the tv, (English to French or vice versa) so that the next  time I select youtube, it automaticaly reloads the app and all thumbnails work..... until you turn off the tv. when you turn back on, problem comes back again which I change the language again. 

It is such a shame on both Youtube and Samsung that a top line product which was advertised especially with youtube functionality can not run it properly. There has been no solution or patch for so long.

Please anyone if you have a permanent solution, share it here.

Thank you and regards.

Serhat

65KS9500 

0 Likes
SINCE
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

In my case, I just solved the exact same problem on KS9500.

Following setting was set to OFF and after turning it to ON, Youtube thumbnail issue is solved.

It was happening after each stand-by and I believe when this setting was set to on, Youtube was forced to restart after each standby. I hope it will help to solve your problem as well.

Regards,

Serhat

Settings
System
Expert Settings
Autorun Smart Hub
ON
0 Likes
JimC
Journeyman
Options

Hi Serhat,

I tried setting Autorun Smart Hub to on, and it worked at first, but overnight it was back to the way it was. I don’t understand why Samsung can’t sort this issue.

I bought an LG set for the bedroom and it works fine, so I’m not impressed with Samsung at all.

cheers,

Jim

0 Likes
SINCE
Apprentice
Options

Hi there,

It is my bad that I told you the wrong menu option; it should be "autorun last app". It may not be the exact wording for that function as I am not next to the TV unit right now but you will see there .

It should work for you because it was the exact same weird problem that I had been tackling for months. Now it is over and I am glad to have Youtube back and running each time I select it.

Regards,

Serhat

0 Likes
JimC
Journeyman
Options

Hi Serhat,

Thanks for the update. I’ve changed the setting, and it seems to have worked. YouTube is now behaving as it should.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Jim

0 Likes
SergeyB
First Poster
Options
Running in the same problem with YouTube, but reset smart hub fix the problem
0 Likes
Solution
DMI88
Explorer
Options

I have the exact problem so glad I have found other people experiencing this.

I have tried to do what you mentioned, but it failed.

The way I solve mine, temporary I hold down my power button on controller for around 3 to 4 seconds. Then wait for about 5 seconds. Turn tv back on with power button on controller, then go to Youtube app, you will see a full grey screen with the loading circle in middle then the Youtube logo appear shortly afterwards, hopefully now your Youtube should be working fully, allows you to navigate around without it freezing. Hope that helps 😁

paulbakker9
First Poster
Options

Thank you!!!! this seems to help.. had the issue only if i power down the tv with youtube on. also after automatic power down.. or screensaver... could not get into youtube home screen.. only blank page... you sir. are my hero 🙂 
now holding the power button on remote for 5 seconds.. the red light blinks bright.. then turns the tv back on. Tizen logo should appear on screen. then its back to normal..

0 Likes
mayslane
First Poster
Options

Many thanks

0 Likes