Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“White Balance” Settings

(Topic created on: 17-08-2019 08:42 PM)
100pat
Pioneer
Options

Can anyone explain to me the different intent of the High Level (Gain) and Low Level (Offset) settings in White Balance?

Bright and dark screen areas?

Coarse and fine graduation of the settings?

Contrast and Brightness?

I know that Samsung say “suck it and see” but it would be nice to know which ballpark I am taking aim at :smiling-face:

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@100pat wrote:

Can anyone explain to me the different intent of the High Level (Gain) and Low Level (Offset) settings in White Balance?

Bright and dark screen areas?

Coarse and fine graduation of the settings?

Contrast and Brightness?

I know that Samsung say “suck it and see” but it would be nice to know which ballpark I am taking aim at :smiling-face:

Hi @100pat  Basically in White Balance Settings  you are adjusting the amount of red, green and blue, the three primary colours that white is composed of. to give the most accurate configuration .Once set correctly the greyscale,  i.e.is the transition from black to white in shades of grey, should be smooth with no discolouration.  However  whilst you can experiment with settings for best picture (maybe aiming for just below middle values) really more geared for professional calibration who have greater knowledge as thought naked eye is not best guide for this setting.  You can use some expert recomendations but these will not necessarily be applicable for your environment.   (though there are tools available)   If does not work out can always reset to defaults .     https://www.techhive.com/article/2079503/easily-calibrate-your-new-hdtv.html

Some more information here https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/how-to-calibrate-your-tv

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
100pat
Pioneer
Options
Thanks for taking the time to reply, James, but I was really asking if anyone knew the difference between the two available options, Gain and Offset i.e. the different meanings of “High” and “Low” level intensity in the context of the White Balance settings on my EU55RU7400 telly.
Kind regards, Pat.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@100pat wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply, James, but I was really asking if anyone knew the difference between the two available options, Gain and Offset i.e. the different meanings of “High” and “Low” level intensity in the context of the White Balance settings on my EU55RU7400 telly.
Kind regards, Pat.

Hi @100pat ,  from what I have been able to determine the gains adjust the brighter part of the picture similar to contrast control, and the offsets adjust the dimmer parts of the picture similar to the brightness control.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Cmayo
Student
Options

@JAMES4578 I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to thank you for your post. Since my UN65TU7000 TV was installed a week ago, I have been continually trying to tune out a seemingly indelible yellow color cast with zero success. I thought if I could set the WB, but it seemed ridiculously complicated (in Photoshop you just click on a spot and it adusts the RGB levels to make that spot white. So easy!) and Samsung provided zero direction on how to use it. Your post gave me enough info to FINALLY remove most of that color cast and likely saved me the trouble of returning this... er... TV. Now if I could just figure out a way to save/backup my settings!