Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Which USB Hard Drive

(Topic created on: 27-03-2018 01:17 PM)
Eagle50
Apprentice
Options

Just bought the Samsung UA75MU6100WXXY TV. Planning to purchase a USB hard drive from 500GB to 1TB for recording of sports programmes, in particular golf tournaments.

I would appreciate any suggestion or recommendation from anyone who is currently using a hard drive for recording from  a Smart TV.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Eagle50
Apprentice
Options

Hi Paul1111,

Thank you for your quick response. Following my post, I contacted Samsung and was advised to use USB3.0. For info my TV is series 6, UA75MU6100, hence USB 3.0. Sorry for such a pain, but I hope to get absolutely correct. WD has a passport 1TB and I can power it via the TV which I plan to purchase.

View solution in context

6 REPLIES 6
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Eagle50wrote:

Just bought the Samsung UA75MU6100WXXY TV. Planning to purchase a USB hard drive from 500GB to 1TB for recording of sports programmes, in particular golf tournaments.

I would appreciate any suggestion or recommendation from anyone who is currently using a hard drive for recording from  a Smart TV.

Hi @Eagle50,  Whilst  Samsung tend to recommend hard drives with an external power supply and a maximum capacity of 2 TB and 5400 rpm, however USB powered devices should be fine.  You may find some useful information in this thread https:https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Smart-Tv-and-External-Hard-Drive-compatibil...     Personally don't use hard drive for recording much (due to  functionality with satellite  PVR)

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Hi I use a USB2 2 ter drive with no problems on my Samsung 32 smart TV. You probably will not need one say large and a 500 meg would do the job and they are quite cheap.

0 Likes
Eagle50
Apprentice
Options

I am considering a capacity no larger than 500GB and powered via USB from the TV. I do have a Samsung Blue Ray DVD player/recorder with a built in 500 GB HD. I bought this several years back to record from an LG TV. I will still continue to use it with my new Samsung 75 inch Smart TV.

I am considering a new HD since I can now record directly from the Samsung Smart TV, which was not possible with my previous LG (it was also a Smart TV).

With the Samsung TV, I am keen to try out this new feature. 

FYI, I am loving my new 75 UHD Samsung Smart TV. The photos I have taken took on a new diamension! The TV sound is exported to my hi-fi system via Toslink fiber optic, great sound from musical programmes via YOUTUBE.

Eagle50
Apprentice
Options

After contacting Samsung, I was advised to use hard drive with minimum of 500GB. As the 75 inch TV has a "dedicated" USB slot "dedicated" for HDD I will not need to purchase one with external power. But while in a hurry I failed to ask the important question - 2.0 or 3.0 UBS.

Can anyone advise whether I'll need a 3.0 USB hard drive or a 2.0 will be good enough, thank you.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Eagle50wrote:

After contacting Samsung, I was advised to use hard drive with minimum of 500GB. As the 75 inch TV has a "dedicated" USB slot "dedicated" for HDD I will not need to purchase one with external power. But while in a hurry I failed to ask the important question - 2.0 or 3.0 UBS.

Can anyone advise whether I'll need a 3.0 USB hard drive or a 2.0 will be good enough, thank you.

USB 2 is all you need as the ports on the TV are usb2.

0 Likes
Solution
Eagle50
Apprentice
Options

Hi Paul1111,

Thank you for your quick response. Following my post, I contacted Samsung and was advised to use USB3.0. For info my TV is series 6, UA75MU6100, hence USB 3.0. Sorry for such a pain, but I hope to get absolutely correct. WD has a passport 1TB and I can power it via the TV which I plan to purchase.