Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Where would one go for advice on TV's?

(Topic created on: 08-03-2018 06:30 PM)
BrianG86
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I am new to the forum, can anyone tell me where I can go for advice on TV's?  Or can anyone give me some advice?

I am going to purchase a new TV next week.  I want 55" and want to keep the price around £800 ish.

I don't know a lot about TV's and all of their wonderful technology, so hoping someone can help me out?

Thanks

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
Solution
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@BrianG86wrote:

Hi,

I am new to the forum, can anyone tell me where I can go for advice on TV's?  Or can anyone give me some advice?

I am going to purchase a new TV next week.  I want 55" and want to keep the price around £800 ish.

I don't know a lot about TV's and all of their wonderful technology, so hoping someone can help me out?

Thanks

Hi @BrianG86, in a sense it depends on your requirements though 55" inch models will all be UHD sets with HDR support and in any case best for future proofing. New 2018 models will appear shortly,though if you need one next week sure 2017 sets will be fine.  They will be smart TV's with built  in apps available,at budget will be LED  (basically lcd with  light-emitting diodes) You'll want to look at Refresh Rate,Picture and Sound Quality, no of HDMI (for cable/satellite,DVD/game consoles)/USB connections .   Though various models may well be similar.  I'll enclose a few guides, can get back to me if unfamiliar with any jargon.  https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/digital-home/best-tv-2018-uk-3652175/     https://www.johnlewis.com/buying-guides/tv-buying-guide  Stores such as John Lewis and Curry's will have trained technical staff.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

BrianG86
Apprentice
Options

@JAMES4578wrote:

@BrianG86wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Hi @BrianG86, in a sense it depends on your requirements though 55" inch models will all be UHD sets with HDR support and in any case best for future proofing. New 2018 models will appear shortly,though if you need one next week sure 2017 sets will be fine.  They will be smart TV's with built  in apps available,at budget will be LED  (basically lcd with  light-emitting diodes) You'll want to look at Refresh Rate,Picture and Sound Quality, no of HDMI (for cable/satellite,DVD/game consoles)/USB connections .   Though various models may well be similar.  I'll enclose a few guides, can get back to me if unfamiliar with any jargon.  https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/digital-home/best-tv-2018-uk-3652175/     https://www.johnlewis.com/buying-guides/tv-buying-guide  Stores such as John Lewis and Curry's will have trained technical staff.

Hi James,

Thank you for all this information, I really appreciate it.  To be honest, I really just want the best TV I can get for my budget.  The picture quality and size (55") are obviously my number 1 priorities, but other things that I'm looking for is a thin bezel, at least 3 HDMI ports and just a nice TV to look at.  

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@BrianG86wrote:

@JAMES4578wrote:

@BrianG86wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Hi James,

Thank you for all this information, I really appreciate it.  To be honest, I really just want the best TV I can get for my budget.  The picture quality and size (55") are obviously my number 1 priorities, but other things that I'm looking for is a thin bezel, at least 3 HDMI ports and just a nice TV to look at.  

No prob Brian, should find a set that meets all your requirements and 3 HDMI ports  tends to be the minimum offered for larger sets.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

paulyoung666
Explorer
Options

Richer Sounds if you have one nearby , don't go to Curry's !!!!!

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Personally don't have any experience of Richer Sounds  ( not as many stores) but  know some like them, notice they offer 6 year guarantee on TVs with free VIP membership on vast majority of products. I have used John Lewis for some time, they have 5 year guarantee with all sets.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JAMES4578wrote:

Personally don't have any experience of Richer Sounds  ( not as many stores) but  know some like them, notice they offer 6 year guarantee on TVs with free VIP membership on vast majority of products. I have used John Lewis for some time, they have 5 year guarantee with all sets.

It seems with some of the issues with Samsung sets, Richer Sounds have dealt with it the best and I think most on the thread KS Refunds also think that way. There customer service is second to none and the 6 year guarantee is a market leader.

BrianG86
Apprentice
Options

Cheers Paul, it just so happens there is a Richer Sounds right next to the Curry's not far from me. I'll go have a look tomorrow maybe.  John Lewis is also a good shout, they are usually good if you have any issues as well.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@BrianG86wrote:

Cheers Paul, it just so happens there is a Richer Sounds right next to the Curry's not far from me. I'll go have a look tomorrow maybe.  John Lewis is also a good shout, they are usually good if you have any issues as well.

The issues with Samsung  miss selling over the smart connect dongle (more in KS Refunds thread), it has been Richer Sounds that have come good and issued refunds. John Lewis are still arguing, and just forget Curry's as the most belligerent and none helpful.

0 Likes
BrianG86
Apprentice
Options

Any idea what hi-fi confidential are like?

0 Likes