Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Where is the Audio Out on My UN55NU7100?

(Topic created on: 04-12-2018 02:31 PM)
eyendall
Apprentice
Options

I have a hearing deficit and use a Sennheiser Assistive Hearing set (transmitter and receiver) while watching TV which normally plugs into the headphones port with a standard 3.5mm plug. My newly purchased UN55NU7100 does not have a dedicated headphones port. The "Connection Guide" on the TV explicitly mentions the ability to choose between "Optical and Audio Out" illustrating the different cable connectors for each. Damned if I can find something that works using one of the two  coloured ports which are labelled AV In and Component in, nor find any other port. The manual, such as it is, is a joke. Am I missing something simple and obvious (complicated and not obvious?)? Grateful for your help with this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
PatrikF
Journeyman
Options

Hi!

According to https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu7100

there is no analogue audio out (3.5mm or other type).

The optical audio out looks like the original TOSLINK square port, which never carries any electrical connectors (unlike the 3.5mm round optical out which usually carries both optical and eletrical connectors.

Your options are using a optical-to-analogue converter, or replacing the TV.

If you use a simple converter, make sure the TV can output stereo PCM (Audio setting), if you use a A/V amplifier if should handle the TVs output formats. If you already have an A/V amp, just use the headphone jack to connect your 3.5mm plug (with a 3.5 to 1/4 inch converter).

Hope you get it sorted!

View solution in context

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
AntS
Options

Hi @eyendall. That model is a North American one, so you may need to get in touch with our friends over there. (US Community is here if you need them.)

But if it helps, I've pulled this from the simulator we've got of the UK equivalent model:

NU7100.JPG

I've highlighted both the 'Digital audio output' (or 'Optical') at the top and the 'Audio/Video Input' ports.

There's a bigger, more 3D picture of the ports for the model at rtings.com:

Unsure of the exact Sennheiser Assistive Hearing set you've got, so unsure of the exact connection options you have with it. :thinking-face:

eyendall
Apprentice
Options

Thank you. I really appreciate you spending your time on this. I will repost on the North American Board. The images you sent depict exactly what I have on my TV. I have one question and have come up with possibly a clue as to what is going on.

The question: Can the TV's digital optical-out transmit an analogue signal to the Audio device as well as an optical signal and would it be advisable to switch the sound setting from PCM to Dolby Digital? At the moment the two Dolby options are greyed out and it is set to PCM.

The clue(?) Since sending my original post, I have obtained a DAC box and hooked it up to the tv's  digital optical port and then to my Sennheiser transmitter. The strange thing is that the set-up works when viewing cable channels, but not when viewing Netscape, Plex or Amazon Prime as installed on the TV. Does that suggest anything to you? .

AntS
Options

No worries. :smiling-face:

I'm not too sure about that one, so I've asked one of my expert TV colleagues who knows more about stuff like this for their take on it. I'll get back to you with what they say as soon as they reply to me - but in the meantime if there's anyone in the Community who can offer their view, they're more than welcome to do so. 

0 Likes
Solution
PatrikF
Journeyman
Options

Hi!

According to https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu7100

there is no analogue audio out (3.5mm or other type).

The optical audio out looks like the original TOSLINK square port, which never carries any electrical connectors (unlike the 3.5mm round optical out which usually carries both optical and eletrical connectors.

Your options are using a optical-to-analogue converter, or replacing the TV.

If you use a simple converter, make sure the TV can output stereo PCM (Audio setting), if you use a A/V amplifier if should handle the TVs output formats. If you already have an A/V amp, just use the headphone jack to connect your 3.5mm plug (with a 3.5 to 1/4 inch converter).

Hope you get it sorted!

0 Likes
eyendall
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your message. I did obtain an inexpensive DAC converter which solved my problem. Still pissed though that Samsung removed an obviously useful and used function requiring an additional expenditure to resolve.

KorriganQC
First Poster
Options

According to the documentation, optical audio output works only when source signal is 5.1.

0 Likes
Sebastianer
Journeyman
Options

Samsung NU557400 here (well actually 7405 from Spain). I also have this issue, there is no RCA output and I wanted to connect the TV to stereo monitors (KRK RP6G3) to replace TV speakers and improve stereo sound.

The final solution is to buy a "HDMI ARC" DAC. 

This will disable your TV  internal speakers and will let you output the audio from the TV to any analog source (RCA). And you can still use  your Samsung TV to control the volume. 

Example of the product I bought  (not very good quality unless you use 90% or less max volume): "LiNKFOR ARC AUDIO EXTRACTOR"

0 Likes
salmanhussain19
First Poster
Options

How can I connect my bluetooth headphones to this TV? Im unable to do so

0 Likes
Vicki1010
First Poster
Options

I was trying to connect bluetooth headphones to the Samsung UN50NU7100FXZA using a bluetooth transmitter. I discovered  there is no direct connection as there is no headphone jack.  I finally managed to connect it using a DAC. But I also discovered that my cable box had audio inputs and was able to use them. I did not have to change the settings on the tv so you can still hear the sound from the tv as well as through the headphones.