Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an SSD with my Samsung UE65KS8000 TV - any recommendations

(Topic created on: 23-04-2019 02:14 PM)
WW32
Student
Options

Hope you can assist.  

I have a 64 GB usb Pen Drive connected to my Samsung TV.  I use the Hard Drive record facility intermittently as I have Sky+.  I now plan to cancel Sky and use Samsung's record function.

One issue I have, when I select the programs stored on the USB drive I find it takes an age to load up - it's almost unusable.  Therefore I plan to use an SSD. I see 120Gb SSD's are on sale for around £15. Therefore my questions are:

1. Can I just plug in the SSD directly into the TV - I'm assuming it can draw enough power directly from the TV.  
  2. Is there a specific port I need to use?  is this on the TV or the seperate "connection box"?
  3. What is a usable speed for the SSD.  The one one offer is a SATA III 6Gb/s - but happy to get faster is needed.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
SjorsK
Maestro
Options
Can I just plug in the SSD directly into the TV - I'm assuming it can draw enough power directly from the TV. -> If its an USB Based one, Yes (Make sure that you get an USB Based one with a high enough thoughput,
Is there a specific port I need to use? is this on the TV or the seperate "connection box"? Nah, there are USB Based solutions. You might also go for a network based solution (I prefer that).
What is a usable speed for the SSD. The one one offer is a SATA III 6Gb/s - but happy to get faster is needed. -> 6GB/S is more than enough. I would say that 300mb/s or more is far more than sufficient. Considering the one connect port does not support SATA I would recommend to look into another device that can for example, convert it a port that is supported by the one connect box, for example USB. Both the connect box AND the device that converts it should support enough thoughput.

I don't know the exact thoughput of the oneconnect box so I can't vouch for that part, but I hope that I bring you into the right direction :smiling-face:
0 Likes
WW32
Student
Options

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The SSD isnt a USB one, this is on offer at the moment, and the main reason I#m selecting, but will consider others.

https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/ssd-ns100/

I have a "connector" lead that allows you to just plug into a normal USB port.  Thanks again

0 Likes
Bobby76
Pioneer
Options

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TKFEEAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other retailes are of course available.

Setting aside the fact that Samsung TV recording is unreliable...  I find these drives to be very reliable - I have a few of them on different TV's and an Xbox.  They run from the USB port on the TV and do not require external power.  Ive used them with MU6500, Q9F, JS9000 and a few other models that I cant quite remember over the last few years.

0 Likes