Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Upgrading TV - previous recordings blocked by DRM

(Topic created on: 13-05-2020 08:08 AM)
TinyC
Student
Options

Hi there, I have recently upgraded from one Samsung TV to another - previous recorded content on USB drive is not playing due to DRM from previous TV. Is there any way to allow the content to be played on the new Samsung TV - or am I stuffed?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TessM
Mastermind
Options

You are very welcome @TinyC . You might be able to remove this on a PC so it's worth a try. Keep in mind that the protection is down to the content being recorded and not the TV itself. 

View solution in context

3 REPLIES 3
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @TinyC ,

The purpose of DRM is to prevent unauthorized redistribution of digital media and restrict the ways users can copy content. After having a look into this we can see that the content is only available for the TV were this was recorded. Have you tried to reproduce this in a different device, for example a computer?

0 Likes
TinyC
Student
Options

Thanks Tess, no I haven't tried this on a computer (but will). I was (possibly being naive) thinking if I kept the same brand of tv it could work (I guess I was hoping to migrate the keys from one device to another). I understand about the keys being unique (now) so will make do if I can't view the content on a PC.

0 Likes
Solution
TessM
Mastermind
Options

You are very welcome @TinyC . You might be able to remove this on a PC so it's worth a try. Keep in mind that the protection is down to the content being recorded and not the TV itself.