Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US40MU6400U Schedule Manager not working

(Topic created on: 24-01-2018 01:19 PM)
nje822
Apprentice
Options

New here, and perhaps someone can help.  We have very recently bought a UE40MU6400U, which is performing well except for one issue.  On our previous ancient Samsung we had a timer function, which allowed us to set three different 'switch on' options - we used one for Mon - Fri, one for Saturdays and one for Sundays to act as a 'wake up' call.

This new set has no 'Timer On' function - just as 'Timer Off' and a 'Sleep Timer'.  I have tried calling Samsung help by phone, and was told that this set does not have a 'Timer on' function - if we had known that I would not have bought it.  But I had little confidence in the person the other end, who sounded as if they were just reading the manual.  I also tried the online chat function with the same result.

But looking more deeply, it seems that the 'Schedule Manager' function should work in the way we want, so i have set it to start Channel 1 each day Monday to Friday at 0645.  But nothing happens.  The scheduled start is still displayed, but the set shows no signs of life at the specified time.

Is there something I have missed?  I have searched this forum and seen a couple of other instances where a scheduled recording did not happen, but it seems this was attributed to non-compatibility with the storage device.  Software is updated to the latest version 1151.

I would be very grateful for any help.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@nje822 wrote:

New here, and perhaps someone can help.  We have very recently bought a UE40MU6400U, which is performing well except for one issue.  On our previous ancient Samsung we had a timer function, which allowed us to set three different 'switch on' options - we used one for Mon - Fri, one for Saturdays and one for Sundays to act as a 'wake up' call.

This new set has no 'Timer On' function - just as 'Timer Off' and a 'Sleep Timer'.  I have tried calling Samsung help by phone, and was told that this set does not have a 'Timer on' function - if we had known that I would not have bought it.  But I had little confidence in the person the other end, who sounded as if they were just reading the manual.  I also tried the online chat function with the same result.

But looking more deeply, it seems that the 'Schedule Manager' function should work in the way we want, so i have set it to start Channel 1 each day Monday to Friday at 0645.  But nothing happens.  The scheduled start is still displayed, but the set shows no signs of life at the specified time.

Is there something I have missed?  I have searched this forum and seen a couple of other instances where a scheduled recording did not happen, but it seems this was attributed to non-compatibility with the storage device.  Software is updated to the latest version 1151.

I would be very grateful for any help

If it's within 30 day's and not what you wanted then I would send it back.

0 Likes
nje822
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your advice.  The way things are going I will almost certainly be sending it back.  But before I get really grumpy with the shop I bought it from, I just wanted to see if I had missed something blindingly obvious.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@nje822 wrote:

Thank you for your advice.  The way things are going I will almost certainly be sending it back.  But before I get really grumpy with the shop I bought it from, I just wanted to see if I had missed something blindingly obvious.

Send it back and get a decent television, with a decent customer service.

Paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@nje822 wrote:

The new reasonable priced LG led SHUD TVs are Dolby Vision, HDR, and HLG for BBC Iplayer. Better customer support and I think cheaper and just as good. When they promise something they deliver unlike Samsung.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@nje822 wrote:

Just to let you know latest firmware is 1155 which you could download to USB, though don't think it would solve Timer issue.  If set does not meet your requirements obviously you are free to return, however for me would not be a priority.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
nje822
Apprentice
Options

Just to close off this topic.  I pursued the case assiduously through John Lewis technical support, who suggested I talk to Samsung, who most times only produced someone who was clearly reading from the instructions - I can do that myself.  But eventually they suggested I perform a factory reset, which got me nowhere, and then sent a Samsung 'engineer' (actually a technician) to visit.  His report said that the 'Schedule Manager' facility actually only works when the set is turned on, and only acts as a reminder.

Returned to John Lewis and pointed out that their website description of the set says: "Progammable Timer - Yes".  They admitted that they did not really know the sets in enough detail to know the answer without actually investigating the set in the store, which I persuaded them to do - and came home with a Sony instead which does have the ability to set a timer to turn the set on'

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JAMES4578 wrote:

@nje822 wrote:

Just to let you know latest firmware is 1155 which you could download to USB, though don't think it would solve Timer issue.  If set does not meet your requirements obviously you are free to return, however for me would not be a priority.

Rubbish it  should work in standby. What's the point if it does not. 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
@nje822 may well be happier with the Sony, however the point is that I don't see a Timer as a deal breaker. By the poster's admission the set was working well. Up to each customer which functions are important though.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

rperlberg
Journeyman
Options

I have a UN32EH5300 which just died, so I got a newer UN32N5300 to replace it.  On the EH5300, I used the Schedule Manager to change to a specified channel at a specified time and it worked very well.  The N5300's Schedule Manager has a fatal flaw.  It will not execute an event if the source I'm watching is an HDMI input rather than a TV channel.  If the current source is TV (tuner) it will change, but if it's HDMI the event will be ignored.  This was not the case with the EH5300, which would switch to TV and change the channel.  I can't believe they would introduce such a bug in an already working application.

0 Likes