Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE55MU9000 - Unable to turn off screen when playing music

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 06:40 AM)
Rahamin
Student
Options

This ability to turn off the screen when playing music is very useful when using applications like TuneIn. Even when playing music from youtube, many times you want just to listen, not to watch. Also, for many youtube music videos, picture is static.

I saw that this functionality was available for Samsung TV models until recently. For example: Turning off the picture but not the sound (2013-2015 TVs).

From some reason, this is impossible in my brand new UE55MU9000. If this is true, I believe that Samsung can provide such functionality in one of the next software updates.

Please...

110 REPLIES 110
Sac
Explorer
Options

Is a question, tongue n cheek, really don't think such a menu exists

0 Likes
unknown_user_
Student
Options

Absolutely ridiculous that they would remove this. What reason could there possibly be.

BZ_NL
First Poster
Options
Planned obsolescence.

Pretty nifty in this way, because when you buy a Samsung TV you don't realize it does not have a basic function like to turn off the screen. Your TV wears out faster in this way with a lot of useless screen-on time. It's also a total waste of energy, which is a shame.

Samsung, please include this trivial function in the next firmware update!
Mikko17
Student
Options

Samsung is really doing everything not to implement features that you expect product to have. Before I bought Samsung TV without this display off feature I bought Samsung microwave Owen that doesn't have light inside it. Be careful with Samsung.

Karido
Explorer
Options

I'm totally shocked that even the Q70/80/90 models do not have this feature. How stupid can someone be to delete the basic feature of turning the screen off? Every tablet and smartphone can do this. Why the hell must I search in the internet to get to know this? This function is a NO-BRAINER. Now, i have this trash TV (which has great picture quality) but I cant use it properly cause some braindead people thought ambient mode is a replacement of this feature? This is too hilarious to even mention...  To use this as an official statement just dont somake sense. And it seems like this feature is requested since more than a year. And to be honest to add it, is uncommenting code in the firmware... Wow. What is your problem Samsung?

Fnurk
First Poster
Options

Also bought a Samsung and surprised this feature does not exist plus some chromecast functionalities do not work

@samsung please add turn of screen!!

amroll
First Poster
Options

Come on,,this should be basic things..Samsung are u listening??

pjo65
Explorer
Options

@amroll wrote:

Come on,,this should be basic things..Samsung are u listening??

The fact seems to be that if they are, they don't care. Like Spotify's resistance to implement screensavers of any kind. For me, the solution was not to use my htpc  but rather remote it. This however is not a solution and as i stated before: I have bought my last Samsung item in the Q90R and will suggest everyone that i come i contact with to reconsider another brand. And this goes for all consumer electronics. I cannot get my head around this. I mean let the useless ambient mode ***** coexist with the ability to turn screen off. Or it's the end of the world as we know it‽

nieXas
Journeyman
Options

My samsung tv is the last purchase of samsung because of this nonsense.

TRICKY1
First Poster
Options
If I had known this feature was removed I would have not bought it also my Samsung sound bar wont connect either money wasted😷