Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE55MU9000 - Unable to turn off screen when playing music

(Topic created on: 24-01-2020 06:28 AM)
Rahamin
Student
Options

This ability to turn off the screen when playing music is very useful when using applications like TuneIn. Even when playing music from youtube, many times you want just to listen, not to watch. Also, for many youtube music videos, picture is static.

I saw that this functionality was available for Samsung TV models until recently. For example: Turning off the picture but not the sound (2013-2015 TVs).

From some reason, this is impossible in my brand new UE55MU9000. If this is true, I believe that Samsung can provide such functionality in one of the next software updates.

Please...

110 REPLIES 110
pjo65
Explorer
Options

@Sinky wrote:
I gave it a try and had an support call with Samsung. I referenced this post.

My 65Q9FN also doesn’t let me turn of the screen while playing music over hdmi. This should at least be able with the Ambient TV feature.

What did the support say?

0 Likes
pjo65
Explorer
Options

Haha.

pjo65
Explorer
Options

@psxlover wrote:

@Skhorchid wrote:
You can in fact overcome this by using either an external speakers or a home theater and close the TV getting the sound from you TV box or cable receiver but from TV unfortunately you cannot do that in the newer models, Shame on Samsung

Hahaha

0 Likes
Hal81
Journeyman
Options

Exactly. This really looks intentional but why on earth would they do it? 

0 Likes
pjo65
Explorer
Options

@psxlover wrote:

@Skhorchid wrote:
You can in fact overcome this by using either an external speakers or a home theater and close the TV getting the sound from you TV box or cable receiver but from TV unfortunately you cannot do that in the newer models, Shame on Samsung

You can also overcome this by buying a new TV from another manufacter...

None of these "fixes"/workarounds are valid. Why would you have your TV play sound if you had a home theater that would play it in the first place...

Samsung seems to have teamed up with Spotify on this one as Spotify refuse to add screensaver also.

Just to clarify why i need this:
Current setup:
# Oppo BDP-105D coax out.

# PC USB

# TV Optical out.

These are connected to Benchmark DAC2 HGC

So my workaround is to play all music via pc.

But as Samsung refuse to listen to their customers i believe this was my last Samsung device what so ever!

I will communicate this with force to people all around me if electronics comes up as a disscussion topic!
Similar situations has been re. their phones over the years.

Sac
Explorer
Options

Yes, there have been a couple of posters that don't seem to understand what we use our TVs for.  For example, There is a whole lot of youtube music available at high res.  I like to play that through my home stereo using the TV as the internet interface. Sure I could hook up my computer or phone(well the phone isnt going to be able to handle the high res rate of transfer), but why go to all that trouble and mess(computer sitting on coffee table in lounge with wires across the floor) just because Samsung can't put a blank screen function or perhaps they are just numpties and decided we dont need it.

Yes, my previous Samsung was able to do it too, never thought to check that this feature would be removed!  and on that aspect the newer Samsung wont display the GUI from my Denon home theatre 3311 receiver either, whereas the previous Samsung did it fine....what the?  Was told cant expect a new TV to work with an old piece of stereo gear......????? We are talking about a receiver made in 2012, not 1911. 

Was also told that if compatibiity was important I should have brought my receiver into the shop to test that it worked with the Samsung.  Fair dinkum, trot in there with a 15 kg box and ask to hook it up to the televisions to see that their designers have made their equipment compatible with hdmi devices when their previous model did it fine?  

I told them that it should interface properly with any piece of gear that has hdmi inputs and outputs that predated their unit and if not their  product should display a warning that it wont work with "older" equipment.  I will possibly pursue this with the ACCC.

JSR
First Poster
Options

Can't get the picture off on my UN50RU7100FXZC neither, sad that such a bsic function is not there.

At least through the music player I can do it while playing my mp3 but would like to do it from a youtube stream for instance.

Anyone knows if that feature might be hidden in the secret Samsung menu?

I did activate the bluetooth input for my bluetooth keyboard that was not available as only bluetooth speaker was available before I did. I thought maybe that feature is still there just disabled ?

Nglinh101
First Poster
Options
Samsung do you here? Pls update turn off screen function.
Sac
Explorer
Options

There is a secret menu?  Very well kept if there is

pjo65
Explorer
Options
Sac: Is this a fact or a question? I haven't seen this from various videos/screenshots from service menu so...
0 Likes