Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE55MU9000 - Unable to turn off screen when playing music

(Topic created on: 21-03-2019 11:07 AM)
Rahamin
Student
Options

This ability to turn off the screen when playing music is very useful when using applications like TuneIn. Even when playing music from youtube, many times you want just to listen, not to watch. Also, for many youtube music videos, picture is static.

I saw that this functionality was available for Samsung TV models until recently. For example: Turning off the picture but not the sound (2013-2015 TVs).

From some reason, this is impossible in my brand new UE55MU9000. If this is true, I believe that Samsung can provide such functionality in one of the next software updates.

Please...

110 REPLIES 110
GerryWicklow
Apprentice
Options
It probably would reduce power consumption by dimming the back-light. However it is primarily just to avoid having an unwanted bright screen with a static image. Many people like to listen to music or a radio channel to help them go to sleep.
Pramesh
First Poster
Options

I had LG tv before. I mostly listen music through my home theater. Now I bought samsung thinking it is upgraded to current standard. Now I am dissapointed to se the best feature reamoved. I simply dont care all those gimmick features shown in advertisement. Now my money is gone and all it is left with is this tv Amd a brand who doesnt listens to consumers. And btw I have made many people not to buy samsung smart tv. Better buy LG or something else. My last Samsung TV forever. Never using this TV again. Proud that many choose not to buy samsung because of me. 

PeterWC
First Poster
Options
Let me add my voice to the chorus. This will be my last Samsung TV. I also like to listen to music or other content on my TV, and now they've ruined it. And, why? Does it same them any money to manufacture the TV without that software feature? I was also shocked to see that they took away the analog audio output (another deal-breaker for me), but at least I can imagine they saved $3 in cost by taking that away. There is NO possible reason to take away the screen off. Just idiocy.
Jeff62
First Poster
Options
I bought a NU7100 last back Friday. I too would like to turn off the display when listening to music on apps like Spotify. This is my first flat-screen TV. I'm surprised to find that this feature is not available on this "smart" TV. And now finding out on here that older Samsung TVs used to have the feature , and my new one doesn't, makes me think that Samsung TVs might be getting "dumber". Seems like such a basic, no-brainer feature. Kind of silly that we are required to have the display on when we're listening to a music app. I'm also hoping for a software update from Samsung. I wonder if they actually read these posts, or if they are just here to pacify us.
browser
First Poster
Options

Have to agree with all the comments above, not very good  work from the Samsung people. Update and fix, Please.

Isi7
First Poster
Options

Bring back the picture off feature!

what a shame!

Sung1
Student
Options

Just figured out how to play music through my 8 series TV (2019) or through my AV amp.

1. Use SmartThings to change audio output from phone Samsung TV.

2. On your TV screen will be the song info.

3. Bottom right of your TV screen has an icon to turn the TV screen off. Ta da! The music is playing on your TV speakers and the screen is off. You can control the volume using either your phone volume controls or the volume controls on the TV remote. To turn the TV screen back on hit the round enter button on TV remote.

4. If you want to play through amp and wired sound system speakers first make sure you have used an optical audio cable to connect from optical audio out on back of TV to optical audio in on your amp.

5. Cast your  to music to TV using SmartThings. Select play audio from phone on TV. On your TV screen you will see the song info. 

Go to Settings, Sound.

Select Sound output. Change from TV speaker to optical. (You will also see here Bluetooth speaker list for any Bluetooth speakers you have set up). Ta da! Your awesome music  can now be played over your awesome sound system. 

You can turn off the screen using the screen off instructions above.

An added bonus is now you can use the TV remote or your phone to control your AV amp volume. A final Ta da!!

Sung1
Student
Options
I just posted the answer to this problem November 2. How do I move the answer to the top of this discussion so that people can see the answer to this??
0 Likes
Sinky
First Poster
Options
I gave it a try and had an support call with Samsung. I referenced this post.

My 65Q9FN also doesn’t let me turn of the screen while playing music over hdmi. This should at least be able with the Ambient TV feature.
Sac
Explorer
Options

Deleted

0 Likes