Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE49KU6400 switching itself on

(Topic created on: 17-03-2019 09:31 PM)
cureboi
Journeyman
Options

Had this TV since March 2017 & for over 18 months no problem at all.

Have a Panasonic UHD BD player connected & a Sony AV amp connected to the ARC connection on the TV.

In December it started to turn itself on in hourly cycles. After a few conversations with online support plus a remote support engineer doing nothing more that resetting it it needed to be taken away for repair.

It was back within a week with a new main board & smart remote & was great for almost a week.

Then, when I turn it off in the evening, ten seconds later it turns itself on again along with the amp (as it's controlled via the CEC connection).

Samsung sent an "independant" assessor who agreed it was faulty & agreed to get the paperwork rolling to replace it.

Since then I have had an email from Samsung telling me the assessor took the unit away & found that it was my connected devices (that were fine for 18 months) responsible. I am now at a bit of a loss as to what to do or whether I am the only one experiencing this (among many other) problems.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Madasahat
Voyager
Options

@cureboi wrote:

Had this TV since March 2017 & for over 18 months no problem at all.

Have a Panasonic UHD BD player connected & a Sony AV amp connected to the ARC connection on the TV.

In December it started to turn itself on in hourly cycles. After a few conversations with online support plus a remote support engineer doing nothing more that resetting it it needed to be taken away for repair.

It was back within a week with a new main board & smart remote & was great for almost a week.

Then, when I turn it off in the evening, ten seconds later it turns itself on again along with the amp (as it's controlled via the CEC connection).

Samsung sent an "independant" assessor who agreed it was faulty & agreed to get the paperwork rolling to replace it.

Since then I have had an email from Samsung telling me the assessor took the unit away & found that it was my connected devices (that were fine for 18 months) responsible. I am now at a bit of a loss as to what to do or whether I am the only one experiencing this (among many other) problems.

Look at the Sony AV amplifier if it is connected via ARC and look at the settings I had to turn my soundbar setting to stop it going to sleep after 20 minutes as it would change the channel and screen went black for a couple of seconds. Turned off the sleep setting and solved the problem. Turn off CEC setting on the TV if the problem goes away look at why the connected devices are sending a wake up signal to the TV

0 Likes
cureboi
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the tip @Madasahat.
I gave that a go & all it seems to do is revert the sound output to the TV speakers.
It's not the amp that's controlling the TV, it's the other way around.

Also, doing this takes me down another rabbit hole.

When I finally am able to set the audio output to the amp, there is silence & I end up having to switch everything off & on a nuber of times until I can actually get any audio at all. 

0 Likes
Madasahat
Voyager
Options
@cureboi wrote:

Thanks for the tip @Madasahat.
I gave that a go & all it seems to do is revert the sound output to the TV speakers.
It's not the amp that's controlling the TV, it's the other way around.

Also, doing this takes me down another rabbit hole.

When I finally am able to set the audio output to the amp, there is silence & I end up having to switch everything off & on a nuber of times until I can actually get any audio at all. 

@cureboi

If you have the smart remote set up to control your AV equipment or anything else apart from the TV remove them by deleting the sources while they are plugged in via HDMI.

I know it's the go to of the remote engineering squad just to factory reset the TV as they think that is the ultimate fix. In this instance as I am trying to figure out the issue with you I would suggest unplugging all connections to the TV that are HDMI, then factory reset. BUT before reconnecting after the reset let the TV boot up, connect to your network (if you have a device that the TV can see over the network as a source for now turn that off also)

I can't remember if you had a Blue Ray player but leave that out of the equation for now.

Once you have done a reset. Let the TV tune in Freeview or Freesat if you choose to. Once again if you have cable or satellite leave them unplugged also. While setting up the TV don't use the smart remote for anything yet. 

Under picture settings make sure "apply picture source" is set current source only. This might seem odd but It makes sure any changes you make are for each source you have and any changes you make do not effect everything globally. 

I had an a similar issue with HDMI sources were not registering with the TV when I plugged them in then powered them on, the trick I found was to power on the HDMI source first THEN plug it into the correct HDMI port the TV then picked up the device gave the source a Picture (IE Xbox logo for my Xbox) and that did the trick.

Make sure the AV device if it can be has the latest firmware installed.

Turn on your AV device (soundbar I presume) then plug it into the correct ARC port into the TV. If the TV requests setup of the smart remote to control your device decline for now. Hopefully the TV will detect the soundbar and once it assigns it as a device it should be selectable in the source menu. Do not select it. From here goto settings: sound output: and HDMI receiver should be on the list. Select it and see if any sound comes out (as long as what you were watching had sound!!!)

Double check what your AV equipment is capable of doing (Dolby surround etc)

Back to settings sound and expert settings. Choose HDMI input format from PCM to bitstream, then digital output to dolby. If no settings are showing or available then I highly recommend removimg the HDMI ARC out of the way and try Bluetooth and or a digital cable once again changing from PCM.

The thing in all this is do not use or agree for the smart remote to control anything as of to rule that out.

Let me know if any of this works most important do not let the smart remote control any device until the sound issue is dealt with. It is too easy for the setup to start pairing up sources. Ha"

0 Likes
cureboi
Journeyman
Options

Okay, I finally got through all that & I still have to faff about to get the sound coming from where i want it to come from.

Also, doing all this denies me the functionality that I paid for when I bought the TV. That's to say the functionality advertised to me via numerous reviews, in store demonstration & the samsung user manual.

One very irritating thing in all this is that for nearly 2 years this never happened. It only started recently & nothing has been changed in the installation.

I have a remote assistance session scheduled for later today. Let's hope they do a bit more than switching it off & switching it on again. They effectively did that last time without any sort of diagnostics whatsoever.

Thanks for trying to find the solution though. I appreciate it.

0 Likes