Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE49KU6400 Scheduled Recording

(Topic created on: 08-05-2018 11:11 AM)
dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options

Hello all,

First post - I am hoping someone has had a similar experience with their UE49KU6400 and can offer some advice.

I bought the TV about 1 month ago and am delighted with it. Two weeks ago, I thought I'd give the recording feature a try for the first time, so I purchased a Toshiba external hard drive.

First, I tested recording live TV as I watched it - perfect, no issues.

Next, I scheduled a recording for about 15 minutes time, then turned off the TV. The hard drive powered off, but right enough, turned back on in time to record the show while the TV was off. Perfect, no issues.

Next, I scheduled two recordings - one on the Friday evening, one on the Saturday evening. I turned the TV off on Friday lunchtime and then went to visit relatives for the weekend.

On my return, neither program had recorded. No errors or issues - just "No recordings available". The series link for the Saturday night show still sitting in Scheduled, awaiting the next episode.

It looks like that the Scheduled Recording won't work if the TV is powered off for a significant time... Is there some sort of Eco Power setting I'm missing? Surely I can't be the only one who has experienced this. Any help is seriously appreciated.

I have contacted Samsung technical support, and have a call open, but to be frank, they're wasting my time. Every time I speak to them, I get the following questions multiple times - "Is the TV powered on at the wall when you schedule a recording?".... "Do you leave the hard drive plugged in when you try to record?"

Thanks.

45 REPLIES 45
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
@lat002 wrote:

Hi Paul1277,

I've just re-read your post about the USB ports and hard drives.  Samsung in the user manual for your TV state that a hard drive must be connected to the USB (HDD) port and they recommend use of a hard drive with it's own poer adapter (which I know you said you have).  I have read of other people having issues with their hard drive when connected to other USB ports so surely it's worth a try? 

I have also read that although your TV has 2 tuners, 1 is for Freesat and 1 is for Freeview.  If true this is like my TV, so depending upon what TV service you are using (viz: Freesat or Freeview) you could well be having the same problems that I wrote about in my last post.  If you are using Freeview you will likely be limited by the Freeview transmission by Multiplex.  This is nothing to do with Samsung.  If the hard disk that is connected to the TV is recording (say) BBC1 (which is transmitted from Multiplex BBCA), I can only tune the TV into another station using the BBC A multiplex (which are BBC 2 or BBC 4).

For information the list of Freeview chanels and the associated Multiplex can be found on lots of websites.  This link is one such:  http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

OK there 3 USB ports 1 on the TV side, and 2 on the one connect. On the one connect there is a 1 amp and a 0.5 amp USB 2. The 1 amp USB has plenty of power to power a USB drive. I know this because the recording has worked in the past with a Seagate USB plugged into 1 amp port and it worked for a week after I had done a factory reset and disabled auto tuning. I had a new one connect with no luck, and they then changed the main board which worked and recorded every thing as advertised. Then 2 weeks later my last recording was on the 17/11/17 and since then it will not record either when the TV is on or in standby. Thats 3 days of work waiting for the engineers.I have also tried a mains powered USB and again no luck. Thing is it will do timeshift and will record a program I am watching.

As to your comment about tuners this TV has 2 freesat and 2 freeveiw and I do have 2 imputs from my dish for freesat.

I can not understand all the stuff about the multiplex transmissions, because if that was the case it would not have worked in the past. Also why I dissagree with you is because I have a 32inch Samsung Smart TV in another room which has worked from day 1 and still works and records evey thing I ask of it, and the same with a Samsung Freesat recorder I have that also records eveything without any problems.

I don't know if you work for Samsung but this is a list of excusses that are typical of Samsung. They are basically trying to ware us down so we give up, as some I think have. Family have other smart TV's like LG, Sony, Panasonic, and I have been told they all record as advertised and without any of this so called multiplex issues. I also updated the firmware to 1208.2 yesterday which again made no difference apart from slowing the TV down to a crawl, which is another thing to deal with.

I been resonable since August with Samsung and have a new connect and main board PCD fitted and it still will not work. I know with most people it seems to be OK so all I want now is a replacement TV that will work as advertised.

To sum up I have tried all of Samsungs advice (which was very little) 2 USB drives 1 powered USB and a stick drive, had parts of the TV repaced and yet it still does not work. I just can not understand how a company at the leading edge of TV design can not easily sort this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
I have a UE65KS9500 and also downloaded the latest firmware with luck excpt the TV is a lot more sluggish now. Not a resolution!!!!
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Again Samsung informed me via Facebook messenger that Samsung support would contact me last Sunday. Guess what, nothing. Martin Daws the people who changed the main board to try to repair the TV also contacted Samsung tech over 2 weeks ago, and again no reply (not even to their own contracted repairers). 

Thing is I have been dealing with Hewlett Packard, over a printer my son bought me 7 months ago, that had developed a fault. I spoke to them on the help line and after spending a bit of time running through tests they accepted there was fault, and ordered a replacement for me whilst on the phone and now I have a brand new replacement printer. It was easy and freindly and very professionaly dealt with. Now that is what I call service, brill, and I will now always buy from them and will always recommend them. Well done Hewlett Packard. 

How I wish Samsung were just half as good but this has been on going since August 2017, not very good at all.

0 Likes
Splatts
Journeyman
Options

Hey there, one thing I've found with the Samsung TV's I've owned (a JS, a KS and now an MU) is they won't record to my WD HDD if I'm streaming on iPlayer or NowTV or some such app, despite getting the notification that recording will start...

0 Likes
rushy7
Journeyman
Options

Ive tried recording using manual time and so far so good

0 Likes
Eyuppp
Student
Options

Hi, 

I haven't read all of the posts so don't know if this has been resolved.  Under the ECO settings there is a 'power off if no user input for 4 hours' option... have you tried disabling this?  Setting a remote recording then leaving the TV switched off for more than 4 hours could be considered no user input.  Worth a try.  I've only just got the TV but was flicking through the settings as you do and this did occur to me.

Jon

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

The KS and the 2017 Q series have recording scheduled problem. I have put more information on this page with links to Samsung UK CEO admitting they have known about this issue. I got a refund on my 65KS9500 because it would not record scheduled programs.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/iPlayer-HLG-UHD-HDR-on-Samsung-s-J-and-K-Series-T...

Hope it helps

Paul

Eyuppp
Student
Options

Hi Paul

THanks for the reply.  Since I posted about the ECO mode setting, I too have had issues with scheduled recordings disappearing from the menu.  I even had a manual repeat recording setup daily for many weeks and at the weekend, it disappeared from the schedule.

I've also had instances where I might be watching something on DVD and depending when I switch the player on it can cancel the recording (or even delete the schedule).

Being unable to confidently and reliably record programmes is a major flaw.  I am looking at returning the TV if possible.  To me its not fit for purpose.

Jon

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Eyuppp wrote:

Hi Paul

THanks for the reply.  Since I posted about the ECO mode setting, I too have had issues with scheduled recordings disappearing from the menu.  I even had a manual repeat recording setup daily for many weeks and at the weekend, it disappeared from the schedule.

I've also had instances where I might be watching something on DVD and depending when I switch the player on it can cancel the recording (or even delete the schedule).

Being unable to confidently and reliably record programmes is a major flaw.  I am looking at returning the TV if possible.  To me its not fit for purpose.

Jon

All the ammo you need is on KS refunds as Samsung CEO have admitted theyknow of the fault and were unable to fix it for. Also need the beginning of the KS refunds thread is a which link that will run through if you can claim and has templates for letters. Just copy the email response I posted as evidence, and good luck.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
Here is the link to the which tool

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/

Paul
0 Likes