Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE40HU6900 PICTURE BLUR

(Topic created on: 11-10-2017 09:33 AM)
stevet25
First Poster
Options

Hi, the TV is now coming up to 3 years old and i have not had this issue until the last six months. The only way i can describe it is, IF the picture on the screen was made up of layers, in certain scenes for example someone nodding their head, it is as if initially all the layers move as they should but then one decides its going to move around. So you still have a picture of a head but that persons face has bits of it still moving around. It is not in fast action scenes but usually (but not exclusively) in a facial scene that has lower light, for example lets say a Game of thrones scene where they are around a camp fie talking and you close up to to an individual, could be a head shot or a head and shoulder shot. However i have now got it appearing in scenes where the background looks as though its wobbling. At first i thought it was cheap scenery about to fall over but i checked the same scene on another TV and the scenery was steady as a rock..

I have consulted Samsung support, all is up to date re firmware etc. Still got the issue, its been away for repair, the Signal mother board replaced came back yesterday, still the same issue. 

The same scenes will give the same issue every time, whether viewed through PS4, SKY BOX, SMART DVD (also Samsung). I have had it on GoT when viewed through sky box, Sons of anarchy when viewed via Netflix and Mad Max when viewed through Prime to name just a few i have showed the TV engineer. 

The engineer says he has never seen the issue before and unless the new repair company that is coming today has some new ideas i am stuck. 

Anyone else experienced this and got a fix.

Thanks

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

This is due to the compression system used, were the system splits up the picture into boxes and only encodes the changes between frames.  It thinks you aren't going to notice if it doesn't bother re-encoding those dark blocks as they contain little detail.

Over time the broadcasters have increased the compression to fit more questionable TV channels into the same space, so it might be you are now noticing this as the compression system has to skip more and more of the picture each time.

An incorrectly adjusted TV will make this more noticable also, as these blocks are expected to be hidden in the dark shadows, so if the TV has shadows and brightness turned up, you see what should be largely hidden.  In addition you may have had a setting turned on where the TV recognises these "blocks" and smudges the edges, and have since turned that off.  Also once you spot something like this, it's less easy to ignore.

Do you get the same problem if watching DVD/Blu-ray?  If no it is definately compression artefacts you are seeing and not the TVs fault.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact

Regards

Phil

stevet25
First Poster
Options

Hi Phil

Thanks for the response. The issue does occur with a bluray dvd but not as noticable. 

If the issue is as you state is there a solution. Will getting a new tv help does backlight vs edge light make any difference. 

You are correct now ive noticed it i really do notice it and it really spoils the viewing experience.

Thanks for your help

Steve

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

You shouldn't really see that problem at all with Blu-ray. It's hard to visualise exactly what you might be seeing.  It sounds very much like compression artefacts.  What TV picture modes have you tried, if you have a Movie mode try that.

Could you take a picture of the problem?  If you pause the playback does the problem remain?  

Backlighting wouldn't really change this.  It just doesn't sound like a fault with the TV itself, espeicially if you have had the board replaced.  

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
stevet25
First Poster
Options

Hi Phil

I have got video of the problem but i am replying via my phone and cant see how to upload it. Stills dont really show the issue as they are static. The second engineer was going to replace the signal board as this controled the refresh rate signal but this part is no longer available.. My next step is to replace the tv under warranty but i was trying to understand if a brand change and upgrade is the best way to ensure the problem goes away. Your reply makes me think otherwise.

0 Likes