Did you mean: 

UE32M5520 won’t change channels properly

(Topic created on: 07-05-2018 04:05 PM)
RoyBrown
Apprentice
Options

We have had this TV since February, and it has exhibited two problems:-

(i) it has turned on spontaneously in the evenings, when nobody was in the room

(ii) when you change channels by pressing a channel button and waiting, the set shows the channel logo for the channel you have chosen, but stays with the picture and sound from the channel you were on.

It sort of knows you have changed channels (say you were on 32, but pressed 1), because if you use the CH Up key, it moves to 2, not to 33.

We powered it off and on again at the mains; no change. We did the extensive Reset yesterday, and this fixed it for a bit, and it did not turn on spontaneously last night, but the channel change problem is back.

We asked Richer Sounds, who sold it to us, if they knew of such problems, but they didn’t.

Which is good in a way, because if we ask them to change the set for one of the same model, that may work OK.

But I thought I would ask here first, as if this is a generic fault with these sets, we are going to want a different model as a replacement.

What do you think?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@RoyBrown wrote:

We have had this TV since February, and it has exhibited two problems:-

(i) it has turned on spontaneously in the evenings, when nobody was in the room

(ii) when you change channels by pressing a channel button and waiting, the set shows the channel logo for the channel you have chosen, but stays with the picture and sound from the channel you were on.

It sort of knows you have changed channels (say you were on 32, but pressed 1), because if you use the CH Up key, it moves to 2, not to 33.

We powered it off and on again at the mains; no change. We did the extensive Reset yesterday, and this fixed it for a bit, and it did not turn on spontaneously last night, but the channel change problem is back.

We asked Richer Sounds, who sold it to us, if they knew of such problems, but they didn’t.

Which is good in a way, because if we ask them to change the set for one of the same model, that may work OK.

But I thought I would ask here first, as if this is a generic fault with these sets, we are going to want a different model as a replacement.

What do you think?

Hi @RoyBrown sounds to me that it may be faulty  set.  However  firstly  I would check you have the latest firmware as was updated at the end of March, I would suggest you download to USB  and update that way to see if makes any difference.  http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE32M5520AKXXU     I've done a bit of research and whilst mixed reviews it is on the budget end of the market and cannot see widespread problems as such, however it is an older set.  Someone previously reported issue with sound bar (though not particularly related)  here though so you may wish to consider your options if the problem is not resolved.  https:https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Samsung-UE32M5520-sound-skips/td-p/333998//...

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
RoyBrown
Apprentice
Options

Thanks @JAMES4578, but are we talking about the same TV?

The M5520 is a 2017 set, and the Samsung site and retailer sites don’t show any 2018 32in sets yet.

The M5620 sounds like it may be a better TV, but I think this is just a silver versus black thing.

I see nothing above the 5 series anywhere in 32in, and the M5520 fitted our bill for a good, current, Smart Full HD Samsung 32in set at the time we bought it - February 2018.

What 32in Samsung might you have had in mind as a later, or better, model we should look at?

32in, as it is for our kitchen - we didn’t want to overpower the room with anything bigger. This is our third 32in Samsung - or fifth if you count the ones we have in Spain - and none of the others have given a moment’s trouble.

The set is up to date as far as OTA firmware is concerned, but thanks for the download link - I’ll try that and see if it is a later firmware.

Since the reset, it has done the channels trick once, and turned on in the evening unattended once also, so if it is not fixed with later firmware, I’ll get it swapped by Richer Sounds. For, I think, the same model, if there don’t seem to be any generic faults with it, and there hasn’t been a better or newer model since, that you could guide me towards.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@RoyBrown wrote:

@Thanks @JAMES4578, but are we talking about the same TV?

The M5520 is a 2017 set, and the Samsung site and retailer sites don’t show any 2018 32in sets yet.

The M5620 sounds like it may be a better TV, but I think this is just a silver versus black thing.

I see nothing above the 5 series anywhere in 32in, and the M5520 fitted our bill for a good, current, Smart Full HD Samsung 32in set at the time we bought it - February 2018.

What 32in Samsung might you have had in mind as a later, or better, model we should look at?

32in, as it is for our kitchen - we didn’t want to overpower the room with anything bigger. This is our third 32in Samsung - or fifth if you count the ones we have in Spain - and none of the others have given a moment’s trouble.

The set is up to date as far as OTA firmware is concerned, but thanks for the download link - I’ll try that and see if it is a later firmware.

Since the reset, it has done the channels trick once, and turned on in the evening unattended once also, so if it is not fixed with later firmware, I’ll get it swapped by Richer Sounds. For, I think, the same model, if there don’t seem to be any generic faults with it, and there hasn’t been a better or newer model since, that you could guide me towards.

Hi @RoyBrown, yes Sure it is the same Tv as manual is dated 2017  Obviously a bit of a problem but perhaps best to see how things go if the linked firmware is later.  I've noticed there is a M5600 model but it may not be widely available http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/full-hd-m5600/UE32M5600AKXXU/, there was something in the 6 series which has since been discontinued.  

Realise a 32 inch suits your set up in the kitchen, however options in this range are becoming limited with more demand for bigger screen sizes , even in smaller rooms. 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
RoyBrown
Apprentice
Options

Thanks again @JAMES4578

Alas, the set reports it is already running the firmware you linked to, even down to the .8

The M5600 (April 2017) seems to be discontinued, and I think it has been superseded by the M5620 (August 2017). Which is, I believe, the silver version of our black M5520, so cosmetic differences only.

If the options for 32in sets are becoming limited, though, somebody needs to tell the housebuilders. The professional installer who mounted it on the wall for us (admittedly with a cantilever bracket so we can swing it from the cooking end of the kitchen to the dining end) had to drill right through the plasterboard and mount it on the inside cavity wall that was behind that, with special bolts.

For critical viewing, we watch the 55in UHD/HDR set in the lounge, which seemed enormous at first, but we think the room could stand a 65 incher now, if/when we upgrade.

gintwin2
First Poster
Options

We have a similar problem. Came back in tonight and the tv was on but it wasn’t on when we left home. Nobody else was in, so it had come on on it’s own. 

Also I was watching a channel the other day and it suddenly changed to YouTube without me touching anything!

0 Likes