cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the new 2018 QLED TV?

(Topic created on: 01-01-2019 09:00 PM)
AntS
Options

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

115 REPLIES 115
endpoint101
Navigator
Options

One thing I've just discovered on my Q9FN are the hidden buttons to control the TV if you've misplaced the remote!

https://youtu.be/RAVNeKFfY3M

Secret buttons! :)Secret buttons! :smiling-face:

endpoint101
Navigator
Options

Another feature I really like is the Steam Link app, which is a free app for the Samsung TV.. just plug in a couple of Xbox 360 controllers (or similar) and you can stream games from your PC to the TV really easily. Works great for games like Stick Fight. It's very responsive.. I don't notice any lag, although I do have a wired connection to the One Connect box.

There's a video here on how to set it up & showing it working with Just Cause 3;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NqJ4iWzvYM

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options

I am a newby here so please be gentle. I am in Luxembourg.

After ten years we have just (4 days ago) replaced our “old” Samsung LE46A656 with a QW55Q9FNALXXN

So imagine this, we have moved from the Stone Age to the Iron Age.

In choosing the new TV we wanted a “smart” WiFi TV but the thin cable (input and power) and the one box and the idea of the one remote sold the TV to me.

Gfplux
Explorer
Options

Set up was very simple and I am now VERY slowly learning about it.

Unlike so many on here I am no TV tecky so please forgive any silly or just plain stupid questions.

I have two sat boxes connected to a dish in the garden. The boxes are a HUMAX with freesat and a hard disc for UK TV and a STRONG SRT 7404 with a decoding card for French TV.

The HUMAX was easily recognised by the TV and works easily with the one remote.

The Strong was NOT recognised and I had to add it manually. HOWEVER it is not working as it should. It will not change channels or respond in any way to the one remote. It also completely ignores the original remote for this box. I am not in too much trouble (with my wife) as the box is stuck on channel 2 which is France2 her favourite channel. However I would like to get it sorted.

My possible solutions are buy a new French box which would be silly.

Update the box software over Satelite but surely it is up to date as it was working perfectly at Christmas connected to the old TV. In fact how do I update it as I can not get it to respond and show me an on screen menu.

any suggestions happily received.

thank you.

PS love the picture. Have not changed any settings as happy with it as it is.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Gfplux wrote:

Set up was very simple and I am now VERY slowly learning about it.

Unlike so many on here I am no TV tecky so please forgive any silly or just plain stupid questions.

I have two sat boxes connected to a dish in the garden. The boxes are a HUMAX with freesat and a hard disc for UK TV and a STRONG SRT 7404 with a decoding card for French TV.

The HUMAX was easily recognised by the TV and works easily with the one remote.

The Strong was NOT recognised and I had to add it manually. HOWEVER it is not working as it should. It will not change channels or respond in any way to the one remote. It also completely ignores the original remote for this box. I am not in too much trouble (with my wife) as the box is stuck on channel 2 which is France2 her favourite channel. However I would like to get it sorted.

My possible solutions are buy a new French box which would be silly.

Update the box software over Satelite but surely it is up to date as it was working perfectly at Christmas connected to the old TV. In fact how do I update it as I can not get it to respond and show me an on screen menu.

any suggestions happily received.

thank you.

PS love the picture. Have not changed any settings as happy with it as it is.

Why not just use the remote that came with the French box? 

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options

Hello Paul1277,

interesting point. Forgive the newby but...... Do you mean “unlink” it from the TV’s on screen menu and try and use it as a stand alone box with its own remote.

That is a Good possible solution but of course loses the beauty of oneremote being one remote. 

But still a good point. I will try it. Thank you.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Gfplux wrote:

Hello Paul1277,

interesting point. Forgive the newby but...... Do you mean “unlink” it from the TV’s on screen menu and try and use it as a stand alone box with its own remote.

That is a Good possible solution but of course loses the beauty of oneremote being one remote. 

But still a good point. I will try it. Thank you.

The one remote is good but not perfect,  and some things do not work with it. If the existing remote works then i would suggest just use that.  I don't think you need to unlink. 

0 Likes
DefinitiveSound
Student
Options

I have the same issues. Won't record properly, loses channels, have to unplug it to reset it so I get my channels back. Samsung promise to escalate it to the main office (Whatever that means) and I'm promised a callback. Twice I'm promised, twice I haven't got one. Phoned about 8 times and only had the tv 2 months exactly. Channels wouldn't turn over again last night and only had a black screen, had to unplug it from the mains and turn it back on (4th time that's happened) Great picture but that's where it stops after my experience so far. I wrote a review too but it wasn't added, clearly weren't happy that I said I wouldn't recommend the tv.

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options

Hello Paul,

UPDATE

I have been in touch by email with Strong Switzerland and France. They don’t have an answer.

so this is where I am.

Loving the TV as after all it is just a TV.  Great picture and still a Virgin TV as all settings are as it came out of the box.

The HUMAX box connected to UK Satalite still working perfectly.

The Strong box is what it is. It works as it relays French, German Stations to the TV. It still will not change channels but that is OK. It will switch on using the original remote but will not switch off with the remote. I have to press the on/off switch.

Do I care......No.

I am happy with my new TV. I am happy with the one remote,  I love the one box.

So I am a happy bunny.

We have new furniture due soon so very happy all the boxes will disappear.

And MOST IMPORTANT the €400 rebate from Samsung just landed in my account.

0 Likes
Cammytkd
Apprentice
Options

Have you plugged a USB drive into your TV? 

And formatted the drive?

I have used a few Samsung TV (and latest is Q9) and each time plugging a USB drive has been simple and readily available to record off the TV.

Cammytkd

0 Likes