cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the new 2018 QLED TV?

(Topic created on: 02-09-2018 08:32 AM)
AntS
Options

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

115 REPLIES 115
TheSentry
Journeyman
Options

I just hope its a significant improvement on the 2017 model.  I purchased a QE65Q8C last July (@€3099) and over the last month it has developed problems ranging from colour glitches to the TV actually shutting itself down and then restarting again, all of its own accord. Samsung Support did a reboot but to no avail (of note, have noticed numerous problems of a similar nature reported on the net). Then informed that a tech would do a home visit  so I waited in the house for the next 3 days (did not want to miss home visit or tech ringing me in order to arrange visit) but nothing. Sent message to Samsung, who replied that they had been trying to contact me on numbers provided, which was nonesense as nothing registered on either home or mobile phones. Have now lost patience and confidence is Samsung.

0 Likes
Stu101
Apprentice
Options

My 2018 q9 turns it’s self off she watching catch up tv.  Very annoying. They need to fix this as I bite therewas similar problems with 2017 sets!  This isn’t good enough when spending £3000 on a tv. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Stu101 wrote:

My 2018 q9 turns it’s self off she watching catch up tv.  Very annoying. They need to fix this as I bite therewas similar problems with 2017 sets!  This isn’t good enough when spending £3000 on a tv. 

My nephew has a 2017 Samsung and has the same problem with it turning itself on in the night and day. They had useless support from Samsung and now turn it off at the mains to stop it. What with this and scheduled recording, purple areas, motion rubbish control, and a very poor customer support, i.e. deny anything is wrong or it is within spec when it is obvious it is not. One must ask your self is worth buying a Samsung?

Paul

TheSentry
Journeyman
Options
Samsung Tech contacted me a couple of hours ago (by phone) and advised that I turn off eco mode (which was already off) and a few others that were still on. Unfortunately, within 30 mins of watching Netflix same problem occurred - flickering and tv switched itself off and then back on again. Notwithstanding that the problem has not yet been solved (actually losing confidence that it ever will be), the suggested fix (turning off certain modes) suggests to me that the product is clearly not fit for purpose.
0 Likes
TheSentry
Journeyman
Options

I'm afraid I am starting to agree. As a response to my ongoing problem another Samsung Tech rang me a couple of hours ago (and not the home visit as was promised). The lady, who I must add was very polite, advised that I turn off the eco mode (which was already off), together with a couple of other modes that were still on. Unfortunately, after then watching a programme on Netflix for approx 30 mins the same problem occurred yet again - flickering follwed by TV switching itself off and then on. As highlighted on a repsonse to another community member, the fact that this was suggested as a 'fix' (which didn't work in any case), clearly highlights that the product is not fit for purpose. Will keep everyone informed of the next proffered 'solution'.

tranx
Pioneer
Options

That is disappointing. We did have a similar problem with F8000 shutting down if a certain device was connected directly to the TV by Hdmi. This happened whenever the device was first switched on. It went away if the device was connected instead through a receiver we had at the time, and seemed to be something to do with the settings or operation of CEC/Anynet.

So far have only noticed one regular peculiarity:

We normally use Satellite channels, and rarely watch the Terrestrial ones. No Recordings are set for that tuner either, because Terrestrial reception is often flaky, but overnight it sometimes starts the next day tuned to a Terrestrial channel. Very odd!

Has anyone seen this, is it a known bug, or might there be a fix, please?

Stu101
Apprentice
Options

Mine happened during watchingan episode on iplayer.  Same spot on the episode. Does it every time you watch it.  Also on a Netflix film I was watching does it twice during the film.   Tv just turns off.  Mine doesn’t come back on again though it just stays off? 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Stu101 wrote:

Mine happened during watchingan episode on iplayer.  Same spot on the episode. Does it every time you watch it.  Also on a Netflix film I was watching does it twice during the film.   Tv just turns off.  Mine doesn’t come back on again though it just stays off? 

Again sounds faulty.  Report it to your retailer, but you may have to argue with them because some use the clauses that they are not responsible for third party apps. If in the first 4 weeks you could try to reject as faulty,  and get a telly that works as advertised. 

Paul

SjorsK
Maestro
Options
I had the opportunity to see the 8K screen for myself on the IFA and wow, the AI really makes sparkling pictures - At one point I litteraly felt a reflex because I thought that a bird was flying off the screen (I never had that before!).

The other screens are great too but that screen, gosh it wowed me (Together with "The Wall" of course :winking-face: ). I'm very sure that my next TV will be a Samsung one.
0 Likes
tranx
Pioneer
Options

My thoughts on 2018 QLED TV are much the same as they were for 5 long years about the Samsung F8000 it replaced in this household.

The picture, functions, and user interface were and are potentially exceptional. However Channel Tuning and Recording remain unreliable, just as they were with F8000, until that was replaced by the Q9FN!

e.g. Currently with Q9FN:

We just went back to using the Freesat tuner after a spell on Terrestrial, and the TvPlus app is back in the Apps Row in an awkward place. Have again tried 'moving' or 'removing' it but doubt that will last. This happens when the Terrestrial  tuner is in use too.

On terrestrial TV the proprietaty TvPlus EPG/channel list has apparently forgotten our location, so BBC One South just disappeared and had to retune, losing all the carefully prepared favourites. Sorting by Re-ordering the Favourites does not work properly either.

With the Q9FN the TV seems upredictably to switch between the Tuners of its own volition, but at least it does not endlessly show the F8000 message "Do you want to stop recording BBC One HD and start recording BBC One HD?".

Recording, both with Timer and Instant Recording is unreliable, just as with F8000.

Our aerials and aerial/dish connections worked fine with other TVs and PVRs. They had been tested by an independent engineer and found to be working correctly, but over five years the problems with F8000 could not be fixed by many resets, two prolonged attempts at repair, or even by replacement of the TV and two motherboards.

This forum and threads about particular model ranges are all vey well but, from bitter experience and a.f.i.k, no software bugs or hardware weaknessses of the F8000 were ever acknowledged or addressed by CS or by any other agency of Samsung. 

Again the QLED TVs are unsatisfactory but it seems unlikely that any snags will be collated, acknowledged, or corrected by Samsung. Users cannot know if any improvements might materialize...but they did not for F8000.

0 Likes