cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the new 2018 QLED TV?

(Topic created on: 18-06-2018 05:40 PM)
AntS
Options

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

115 REPLIES 115
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

Hi @AntS

Could have responded earlier though have not seen 2018 sets in action yet!

Glad you had a good time at the factory and possibly learned something new, yeah Tv’s have come on some way over the years and with the latest advancements  a few things to get excited about!

Well Ambient mode looks like it could be a really cool feature  with the potential for consistently Clear and sharp pictures irrespective of environment.    Quite a contrast even with with recent modern Tv’s.  Some of the images in the videos very vibrant and capturing  precise detail , though of course does not rule some features not working as well on certain sets.  I've  touched on some functions previously on the  CES thread , however just to mention I am intrigued with the the Eco system involved in IOT innovations with the wide ranging connectivity available with high tech that offers  such convenience to control so many devices. Bixby voice control should go to a new level and devices will have the intelligence to make our lives easier and whilst most folk can only update every so often there will always be  a market for new developments. of course a  key for many is the functionality  provided with firmware updates.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

@JAMES4578: No worries, man - and thanks! :robothappy:

I do like the idea of being able to have something other than a black rectangle in the room if you just want something in the background, so Ambient mode is a good feature IMO. The obvious downside being that it'll still use some power.

Still relatively early days for seamless IOT, but it was pretty neat to see our tech guys in combination with our SmartThings team "spoof" a UK set-up in the factory in Slovakia to demo the SmartThings stuff to the other EU Samsung AV peeps. SmartThings connectivity is very much a new thing for AV on the continent in 2018, apparently.

Firmware (and TV software in general) is an interesting and likely to be highly contentious area for the immediate future in AV, I feel (at least judging by the topics and sentiments in this and other forums I've come across).

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

@JAMES4578: No worries, man - and thanks! :robothappy:

I do like the idea of being able to have something other than a black rectangle in the room if you just want something in the background, so Ambient mode is a good feature IMO. The obvious downside being that it'll still use some power.

Still relatively early days for seamless IOT, but it was pretty neat to see our tech guys in combination with our SmartThings team "spoof" a UK set-up in the factory in Slovakia to demo the SmartThings stuff to the other EU Samsung AV peeps. SmartThings connectivity is very much a new thing for AV on the continent in 2018, apparently.

Firmware (and TV software in general) is an interesting and likely to be highly contentious area for the immediate future in AV, I feel (at least judging by the topics and sentiments in this and other forums I've come across).

@AntS,   Yes whilst may not be vital sure many would find Ambient mode attractive  and you can have varying designs -short demo in this video.     Not all comments on this article sensible though :smiling-face:   https://gizmodo.com/samsung-s-best-tvs-now-come-with-an-invisibility-cloak-1823590092       Certainly interesting demo experience   :robothappy:, 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
PeterYates
Student
Options

Does it matter how amazing they are if a few months after buying they release an software upgrade that injects advertisements into the UI? I mean, even if it somehow put the kettle on just before half time and fluffed my cushion for me I'd still be pretty peed off if it started spamming my "hub bar" with unremovable invitations to sign up to a service I have ZERO interest in.

blackvikin
Apprentice
Options

It's near impossible to get these Samsung's QLED Tv to schedule programme viewing or schedule recording. Even the Samsung Support team or no help apart from admitting there's a problem so if you love recorded Tv then I wouldn't recommend buying one until they fix the problem instead of misleading people when one contacts customer support.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@blackvikin wrote:

It's near impossible to get these Samsung's QLED Tv to schedule programme viewing or schedule recording. Even the Samsung Support team or no help apart from admitting there's a problem so if you love recorded Tv then I wouldn't recommend buying one until they fix the problem instead of misleading people when one contacts customer support.

I had the same problem with the 65ks9500, then Samsung exchanged that for the 65Q9F same problem (and dull picture) got a full refund froM Samsung CEO UK. Below is a link to the page where I have posted the emails from Samsung UK CEO admitting they have a problem with scheduled recording and it is nothing to do with USB drives. They could not fix it and in the end they gave me a refund.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/td-p/358805/highlight/false/page...

If you or anyone else has the same problem then you can use the Which tool to try to get a refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/

The fault normally shows itself after about 2 weeks and stops recording scheduled programs. As I said Samsung know its a fault but their customer services will never admit it! Their CEO did! Therefore under consumer law you can show it was a fault from when you bought it and also show that Samsung can not fix it. Therefore you are entitled to a full refund even if it is out of warrenty. If you have 5-year warranty then fill your boots.

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

I wonder if these 2018 models contain the same glitches and bugs of the 2017 models, like white flashes in your movies.

Also had an ad this morning after not seeing them for a while, I didn't pay Samsung a huge sum of money for them to just make more revenue out of me by advertising!  Ambiant display is probably something they have dreamt up to advertise even more to their customers, get everyone used to it, then start spamming.  Might as well be an electronic bill board on your wall. Microsoft started doing this on Windows 10 on the lock screen, at the moment they allow you to disable it.

Just fix the bugs Samsung, rather than spending time on how you can make more money from us from adverts.  Perhaps if your TVs were bug free and worked, you wouldn't need to be trying to raise more revenue from your TVs as you'd sell more and have less returns and be more profitable.  I'm never buying a Samsung TV again.

Regards

Phil

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@AntS wrote:

I really like the idea of IOT control on a TV, but to suggest it's a new thing in 2018 seems to ignore that we were promised IOT and SmartThings control on our 2016 KS TVs.  I've been waiting two years to do what the 2016 TVs promised, and replace my horrible PC based system:

1.jpg

I do hope this isn't more mis-selling from Samsung though, and this time it actually exists.  Anyone know if the SmartThings app can run as the Ambient mode screen?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@AntS wrote:

I really like the idea of IOT control on a TV, but to suggest it's a new thing in 2018 seems to ignore that we were promised IOT and SmartThings control on our 2016 KS TVs.  I've been waiting two years to do what the 2016 TVs promised, and replace my horrible PC based system:

1.jpg

I do hope this isn't more mis-selling from Samsung though, and this time it actually exists.  Anyone know if the SmartThings app can run as the Ambient mode screen?

How about saying sorry to all the ks owners who were promised the dongle!  Where is the compensation? 

0 Likes