Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV switches itself on randomly between 3am and 5am

(Topic created on: 12-08-2019 09:20 AM)
Matt74uk
Apprentice
Options

My KS8000 seems to randomly switch itself on between roughly 3am and 5am if the TV arieal is connected.  If I unplug it, it's fine.  I think this could be when the EPG is broadcast over UK Freeview.

There are no alarms set, I've even tried setting one for 8am and it still comes on between 3am and 5am.

Does anyone else have this issue?

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29
robk1
Explorer
Options
Since Friday 9/8/19 the TV has started to randomly switch itself on. I have double checked and the auto tune settings > stand by auto tuning is turned off and there are no timers set. Has there been a software update that may have caused this. This is the latest in a number of issues with this Samsung TV - the worst being the dropping of sound link to the Samsung soundbar when changing sources, and / or failure to turn of the soundbar at switch on. However, if this random switch on is not resolved then it is a trip to the shop for a decent reliable and consistent TV (not a Samsung)
CaptainLorca
Journeyman
Options

Might not be able to help you with soundbar as I don’t have one!

But I might be of help with the TV turning itself on after about 3am.

Use to come downstairs and my living room would be bathed in bright light!

3am! I think, is the time Terrestrial TV updates are done. The feeling being it’s the quietest time of the 24hr TV day! For some reason this process turns the TV on

so:

• First make sure you are on TV PLUS
  • Go to Settings
  • Select Broadcasting, if it is faded it means you are not on TV PLUS
  • Select Auto Tuning Settings
  • Standby Auto Tuning would be on, TURN IT OFF

That should be it

I forgot to come back here to say it works

0 Likes
CaptainLorca
Journeyman
Options

Please let us know if it worked

0 Likes
robk1
Explorer
Options

Hi - thanks for the reply.  I had already checked the auto update was off as I thought that could have been the reason - hence my puzzlement.  Today to double check I turned the auto update back on; and then back off again to see if that cycling makes any difference.  I'll no doubt see tomorrow morning when I come downstairs!

0 Likes
CaptainLorca
Journeyman
Options
Fingers crossed! Do you have Apple TV by any chance, or any other devise attached to it that does updates, cos that could trigger it also
0 Likes
robk1
Explorer
Options

Hi - So far so good. I also unplugged the TV from the mains for a couple of hours yesterday, thinking that a re-boot may clear whatever has caused the random switch on. I don't have Apple TV, but I do have a Sky Q Box, but that hasn't caused any problem in the past. Fingers still crossed 🙂

0 Likes
robk1
Explorer
Options

Ah well it was too good to last.  After three days with no random switch ons, returned home yesterday afternoon to find the TV turned on.  So unless our cat has worked out the remote control we are back to square one trying to figure this out

CaptainLorca
Journeyman
Options

Hmmm it’s the cat!

on a more serious note, I am completely stumped. I was going to say the Sky Q box might be doing an update, but not during the day!

yep definitely ask the cat! 

I hope someone from Samsung is following this and will respond

0 Likes
robk1
Explorer
Options

Thanks CaptainLorca - appreciate your support and advice.  Maybe he was trying to activate some cat videos on YouTube!!

I too hope someone from Samsung will have some thoughts

ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @robk1 

Could we take the model code and software version of the TV please? Go to Home > Settings > Support > About This TV.