Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV fails to record scheduled programmes to USB on standby

(Topic created on: 05-09-2017 07:06 AM)
GFa71
Apprentice
Options

Hi.  I have a new ue49mu7070 paired with a new Seagate 1tb hard drive plugged into the HDD USB port on the one connect device. The tv records scheduled programmes fine when the tv is on but when the tv is off on standby all scheduled programmes fail to record. Timeshift works ok.  I tested this last night and all 3 scheduled recordings did not happen and when I switched on there was a screen message to say I was unable to record or use the hard drive, although I could still view previous recordings fine.  I can't imagine there is a problem with the HDD. 

Any ideas before I contact support? Are there some settings I need to change? I am new to Samsung but I suspect this might be a regular problem with known solution.  Would appreciate any help, thanks.  Nigel

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29
Oopayno
Student
Options
When I tell you the answer your think makes sense
But look at where getting drives from
Fake drive you plug in and will say 1tb
But there may only be 400gb
The drive freeezes at capacity
Fake drives
0 Likes
Geoftv
First Poster
Options

Failure of recording accords with my experience too.

My new 55mu7000 with a hard drive added for rec/Time shift gives the impression of working but when used in practice fails hopelessly in various ways. E.g. fails to record, locks up tv needing power removal, asks for pin, will not accept pin, records part only. One cannot predict the next failure symtoms. Sometimes it records ok.. It would make a great gambling game machine! Samsung appear to have big problems in this area. Shame as it's a great tv otherwise.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Geoftvwrote:

Failure of recording accords with my experience too.

My new 55mu7000 with a hard drive added for rec/Time shift gives the impression of working but when used in practice fails hopelessly in various ways. E.g. fails to record, locks up tv needing power removal, asks for pin, will not accept pin, records part only. One cannot predict the next failure symtoms. Sometimes it records ok.. It would make a great gambling game machine! Samsung appear to have big problems in this area. Shame as it's a great tv otherwise.

I had a ks9500 with this issue and Samsung replaced it for a Q9F and within a few weeks same problem. Seems if you want scheduled recordings then the Samsung my not be the TV. Funny thing is though I have an older samsung 32 smart tv which works and an even older freesat samsung recorder and again works. 

The Q9f is going back to Samsung for a refund.

0 Likes
Geoftv
First Poster
Options

Paul. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will have to stir the pot with Samsung via John lewis. I do wonder if the software gets into a muddle with time? E.g. buffer overflow corrupting software Somewhere?   Geof

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Samsung told me when they would replaced my KS9500 with the Q9f but they could not guarantee the recording function as it was an on going issue and as not a lot of owners use it it is not a priority. I have been through all sorts with Samsung support, blaming my drives, and even the freeview which did amuse me when my Sansung 32 inch older tv worked fine and when I mentioned this it was totally ignored. It was only when I contacted the uk CEO after a new smart connect and main board  that they offered a replacement Q9f. This stopped recording after 2 weeks just like the KS. I will say though the picture quality was far better with the ks9500 than the newer Q(F which even my wife said was rubbish. Think when I get my refund it will be LG C8.

0 Likes
Robert45
First Poster
Options

can not record to usb a program while watching other program

will not record in stand down mode

i have a 46" smart tv 

I have to watch the program that i am recording to record it

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Robert45wrote:

can not record to usb a program while watching other program

will not record in stand down mode

i have a 46" smart tv 

I have to watch the program that i am recording to record it

I had same problem on the ks9500 and a replacement q9f which had the same fault.  If you do a factory reset it worked for a couple of weeks then stopped again. Samsung admitted it was a known fault and gave me a full refund. 

Paul

0 Likes
Darekt
Pioneer
Options

Had same problem with 6400, it must be some glitch in software ( but then should be solved by Samsung long time ago) or design problem, which I think is a reason of problems, probably TV is thinking that is recording but not doing it physically , its nothing wrong with hard drives. It is very important to me to record programmes as I am not watching live tv. Is it a good reason to return my TV to supplier? 

0 Likes
Shawsey49
Pathfinder
Options
I have this problem on my new mu 49 inch 7000 are use Freesat to watch my TV programmes not Freeview I was having this problem but not recording so I spoke to a TV engineer and he told me could possibly cable anyway I asked him to replace the cable from the dish and then he went into the television settings for Freesat and change from single to dual I can now record one program while I am watching another which I couldn't do previously even in standby mode everything works perfectly I hope this helps anybody who's using Freesat!
0 Likes
ctmc1
Apprentice
Options

I have had huge problems getting a Samsung TV to record but found a solution on another thread. I disabled the 'auto switch off' function (turns tv off if no user input for several hours) and this works.  Previously  I had umpteen conversations with Samsung support who were completely, utterly useless. Had been struggling with this issue for well over a year and had given up. Tried recording on both USB stick and hard drive but both failed unless the tv was switched on. It would work when I tested it after trying something new, but not after I had left the tv off for an extended period.

Many other frustrations with the TV eg no way (at least that Samsung know) to switch of the password for PG rated recordings. So when I record pretty much anything after 9pm I have to put in a password to watch it. Daft. 

But at least I can record now!