Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV Screen has dark section at top of screen

(Topic created on: 27-08-2018 08:46 PM)
Aristotle
Apprentice
Options

I solved the issue and this is how. 

After lot of research and dozens of suggestions I decided to try something simple first. 

My Samsung UE39F5500 was connected directly to the Internet, no cables apart from the power.

I opened the back of the TV and made sure everything was properly connected especially the highlighted part on the image. (shows how technical I am). 

Problem solved. 20180826_123745.jpg

20180827_194402.jpg

Tv7.jpg

Go to solution
103 REPLIES 103
Covina
First Poster
Options
I am still having issues. It seems to be getting worse...darker.
0 Likes
Solution
Mindnap
First Poster
Options
I solved this problem - and on my UE55JU6800 it was associated to the HDMI connections. After a lot of trial and error this is how. Disconnect all HDMI cables, reset the TV, turn hard off (disconnecting the power), restart without connecting the HDMIs. Sometimes it took a few turns, including re- and disconnecting the HDMI cables in different slots, having the HDMI connected or not upon restart. To be honest, I'm not sure if all the above steps are needed or in which order. I'm no expert, just very stubborn. But now the shade is gone. If forever, time will tell Atm I disconnect all HDMI cables before shutting it down and so far the shade has not reappeared. What I find slightly strange is that this fix seems to be unknown by all experts in the Samsung universe. Maybe you experts can figure out the correct sequence and let us know. Better (for us) than buying a new TV or spend loads of money on repair. :winking-face:
Lakeman
First Poster
Options

@Bman18 wrote:

On HDMI where my cable box is connected the top 3rd of the screen is darker than the rest. When the picture test was done everything was normal, what should I do ?

My tv was doing the same. Unplug your cable box power and your tv wait 2 minutes then plug tv in then cable box. This work for me to get dark band form top of tv

0 Likes
GilesT
Apprentice
Options

Morning, did your TV get repaired by Samsung?

0 Likes
GilesT
Apprentice
Options
Is the TV still working 2/12/19 ???
0 Likes
Aristotle
Apprentice
Options

My TV? Yes it is still working, it has NOT been repaired by Sumsung  

R1Law
Explorer
Options

A much simpler solution...this is really a software problem. Just go to setting on the TV and turn off the Smart Hub. This immediately eliminated the problem for me on my Samsung TV. I would suggest that some smart software engineer at Samsung take a look at the code and figure out why this happens from time to time on the TV. The issue random and not easy to replicate, but once it shows up either turning off the TV (disconnnect power cable) for an extended perior of time or my fix (Turn off Smart Hub) solves the problem. The second solution prevents it from recurring, the first only prevents it for a short period. 

R1Law
Explorer
Options
See my post...turn off Smart Hub in settings.
0 Likes
Bl4ckShadow
First Poster
Options

Where can i disable the Smart Hub? I have an older ue46d6750 and I have the exact same problem. The bottom of my backlight is unresponsive and stays at highest brightness. While the top is adjustable in the TV settings.

0 Likes
Kelly50
First Poster
Options

Just curious, how old was that tv that started going black at the top?

0 Likes