Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Plus

(Topic created on: 01-03-2019 07:00 PM)
poppasmurf
First Poster
Options

I've just bought a new Samsung UHD TV.  It has an annoying TV Plus app which I don't want as it's only trying to sell me something I don't want, and I cannot seem to delete.  I keeps coming back.

Anyone any ideas?  

313 REPLIES 313
neveragain1
First Poster
Options
I’ve had this same exact issue with a 7series. It’s actually been replaced once with by the retailer. But Samsung is washing their hands of my brand new TV not #1 Coming on by itself every time I update & TVPlus gets pushed onto the screen (so I can’t uodate) and #2 the TV will not start up on the app where I left off. I only use the TV for streaming, and I have no signal up in the mountains — so every time I turn the TV on now without TVPlus it defaults to a bright ugly screen that says “no source found”. It’s EXTREMELY obnoxious, as are the 40+ hours I’ve had to spend troubleshooting for the last 2 months, and the customer service is worthless. BRAND NEW CHRISTMAS GIFT TO MYSELF is the worst money ever spent. I’ve alwayd stood behind Samsung. But NEVER AGAIN. They’re taking our money and running.
0 Likes
caldrax
Apprentice
Options

So, this isn't an actual fix and Samsung still should address this issue, but just a note, I have a Chromecast that I recently connected to my smart TV, and now when the TV would go to the TV plus thing, it defaults to the Chromecast instead. Not a genuine solution but it's saved me from the annoyance of forgetting to turn it off and being blasted with the noise of TV plus in the middle of the night while my neighbors are trying to sleep. Also I can tell my Google home to turn the TV off and it will, so that sort of helped my issue. Kinda ironic having to turn to a google product to fix a Samsung problem, but such is the way of the world I guess.

StupidTelly
Journeyman
Options
I have a 22 month old and four year old - After getting TV Plus to stop showing, I now have Rakuten! I've taken all the steps to stop Rakuten showing inappropriate content, but still they're watching Deadpool and Halloween previews! I only use our telly as a Smart TV, no other input (we don't have an aerial or dish) - I was wondering whether a device like an Amazon fire tv stick plugged into an HDMI might stop the "Smart" Hub from coming up...

I'm furious to the point of actually changing the telly - even if I buy a fire stick the problem is still there.

As a note, just found this: potential to turn of advertising from the setting menu? Will need to test at lunch...

Main Menu > Support > Terms and Policy > Internet Based Advertising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SHjhvtKjwU
0 Likes
StupidTelly
Journeyman
Options

As an update to this - My youngest child had to watch a movie preview of a guillotine beheading while we waited for BBC iPlayer to load... at 9am in the morning!

Furious, I phoned customer support either demanding a manufacturers uplift number to return to the retailer, or to fix the problem. I simply want parental control to either show this trailers, or not show these trailers, or at least tailor them to the audience and time of day...

They have offered to call back this evening when I'm infront of the TV so technical support can remote assist and remove the TV Plus app - (but have instructed me that a TV reset will return the app). I'll update this with the results.

0 Likes
Madasahat
Voyager
Options

Double post

0 Likes
Madasahat
Voyager
Options

@StupidTelly wrote:

As an update to this - My youngest child had to watch a movie preview of a guillotine beheading while we waited for BBC iPlayer to load... at 9am in the morning!

Furious, I phoned customer support either demanding a manufacturers uplift number to return to the retailer, or to fix the problem. I simply want parental control to either show this trailers, or not show these trailers, or at least tailor them to the audience and time of day...

They have offered to call back this evening when I'm infront of the TV so technical support can remote assist and remove the TV Plus app - (but have instructed me that a TV reset will return the app). I'll update this with the results.

Sorry if you have mentioned it, what Model is your Samsung TV? The latest firmware I found had been updated to make removal of TV+ easier, but that is my MU6470

I will post how I removed it

Press the Home button and highlight  the live TV 

Press the channel List 

In the top right choose edit channels

Use the filter and select TV PLUS 

Only 4 channels should show up

Highlight them all then press delete on the right.

It will say something like if you want them back use the restore TV Plus button.

Then hopefully this will solve your TV Plus issues

0 Likes
endpoint101
Navigator
Options
StupidTelly
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the message - yes, I've tried these, and so have Samsung technical support - they had even unticked the advertising terms and conditions check box.

With all the channels removed, I have an issue with "Rakuten TV" showing up on channel "4003 action" - even though all channels are removed, it's still playing.

TV auto updates (the Smart Hub used to be blank) - the TV is UE40MU6470 - Software version 1262

UPDATE - just had my callback from Samsung support who did a video chat of the problem - we predominately watch BBC iPlayer, and the Smart Hub auto launch feature doesn't work for iPlayer if it's the last app running before switching off - which would help us "avoid" the trailers of TV Plus.

Regardless, if we exit any app, Smart Hub automagically plays Rakuten TV previews on channel 4003. Again, all steps have been taken to stop this.

They have now informed me they can't install the TV Plus app... <rolls eyes>

0 Likes
caldrax
Apprentice
Options

I honestly think someone at Samsung might be reading this thread as a guide to things they need to do to circumvent our solutions and force TV Plus on us, because my Chromecast solution worked for a few weeks but has suddenly stopped working, and previous solutions worked for a bit but suddenly stopped working. I tried the latest one of deleting all the channels (worked before for a bit) and it seems that new channels keep getting added, so that may be why it keeps Auto starting on one of them. I haven't tried the locking apps thing, if this fails again, that's next.

0 Likes
StupidTelly
Journeyman
Options

I had the same problem - it all came back... again!... it's like you you say, they know how to beat by reading this forum!

Take a look at this post - this guy actually pointed out we can block the web addresses the TV is requesting - I did this through my router, you can also signup to a service and point your router to it and manage online also.

But so far, my TV is again ad free - bliss.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Remove-or-hide-Rakuten-TV-plus-how/m-p/1000308#M2...