Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Plus

(Topic created on: 26-08-2018 02:27 PM)
poppasmurf
First Poster
Options

I've just bought a new Samsung UHD TV.  It has an annoying TV Plus app which I don't want as it's only trying to sell me something I don't want, and I cannot seem to delete.  I keeps coming back.

Anyone any ideas?  

313 REPLIES 313
JDP
First Poster
Options

Doesn't work - Samsung - when can we expect a fix? 

0 Likes
JDP
First Poster
Options
This sucks - Samsung, please fix!
0 Likes
Madasahat
Voyager
Options

Read through the thread the answer is there

0 Likes
qbuster
Apprentice
Options

Sorry, but it is nonsense to say that as TVplus is inbuilt into Freeview that it can't be changed. 

All Smart TV s are run by software and software is written by developers. As a former software developer myself, I would expect that it would be a couple of hours work at the most to write a function that enabled the removal of TV Plus.

The issue preventing Samsung developers from writing in such functionality is likely not to be technical complexity but commercial pressure. The dominating presence of TV Plus is likely to be subject to a hefty Contract that adds a lot of £000000's in revenue to Samsung/Freeview.

Any skills software hackers (I retired 25 years ago) out there that could put together a fix? 

0 Likes
thepharcyde
Apprentice
Options

So the fix detailed in this thread does not work for me as I only use Netflix/Prime TV with no terrestrial connection.

What I did is block Rakuten TV, this can be done at the router level or like me I have OpenDNS to block all other inappropriate content out there.  Adding the following blocks all background movie previews.

Hope this helps anyone else in my situation.

prod-tvplus-pmd.akamai.cdn.rakuten.tv

qbuster
Apprentice
Options

Sadly, when I looked at my Anynet settings (System, Expert I think) it was already switched off so that isn't the ultimate answer.......

0 Likes
qbuster
Apprentice
Options
So how about making a copy - or kink to - the video so others can use it?
0 Likes
tranx
Pioneer
Options

@qbuster wrote:

Sorry, but it is nonsense to say that as TVplus is inbuilt into Freeview that it can't be changed. 

All Smart TV s are run by software and software is written by developers. As a former software developer myself, I would expect that it would be a couple of hours work at the most to write a function that enabled the removal of TV Plus.

The issue preventing Samsung developers from writing in such functionality is likely not to be technical complexity but commercial pressure. The dominating presence of TV Plus is likely to be subject to a hefty Contract that adds a lot of £000000's in revenue to Samsung/Freeview.

Any skills software hackers (I retired 25 years ago) out there that could put together a fix? 

If you look at the top right corner of the EPG for Terrestrial TV there is a TvPlus logo, and I don't think Samsung claims it is a 'Freeview' TV.

i.e. It was explained to me that, strictly speaking, these Tv's do not have Freeview's (proprietary) functionality but that instead the Terrestrial Channel Guide functions are provided by TvPlus.

By the way the TvPlus App logo recurs in the list along the bottom on our TV too when the Terrestrial tuner is selected, which we might have solved by just moving it to the end of the row (where it no longer interferes with the programmnable Universal Remote's macro, employed to select the library of recordings on the HDD).

On the other hand the Satellite EPG has a 'FreeSat' logo at top right and I don't think the TvPlus App ever appeared when the Satellite tuner was being used at first, or at least it does not recur. Trouble is that on Satellite the recording function seems to have packed up , as predicted in an earlier post...

All this is certainly flaky on such an expensive range of TVs but the history of problems with the Samsung F8000, which we had before, does not suggest Samsung is likely ever to fix anything. The F8000 was even promoted on the basis  of its 'future proofing' with a plug in module for its hardware but as far as I know nothing useful ever came of that.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@qbuster wrote:

Hi @qbuster, For whatever reason Samsung do not have a Software Fix to enable the removal of Tv Plus.  I'm afraid an unauthorised solution cannot be discussed openely in the Community as it would breach the Terms and Conditions.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

tranx
Pioneer
Options

Correction re. my statement above " I don't think the TvPlus App ever appeared when the Satellite tuner was being used at first, or at least it does not recur": well we just went back to using the Freesat tuner after a spell on Terrestrial, and the TvPlus app is back in the row. Have again 'removed' it and hope that lasts.

On terrestrial TV the TvPlus channel list has apparently forgotten our location, so BBC One South just disappeared.

The TV seems also to switch between the Tuners of its own volition.

It's a bit of a mess at the moment so may I ask if Samsung has a list of these problems, and if so may we know what bugs it has acknowledged already? Without something like that I guess we will not know if any updates could ever materialize...

0 Likes