Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange audio issue while using DD+ (Netflix / Amazon prime video) on a Q6FAM (could affect any QLED model)

(Topic created on: 17-10-2019 01:22 PM)
R4W
Journeyman
Options

I have a bit of issue with a QE65Q6FAM and my Yamaha receiver.

My configuration is very simple: TV HDMI (ARC) -> Yamaha RX-A3070 HDMI (ARC)

- Working scenario:

1) TV Menu -> Audio -> Expert settings -> Bitstream as Dolby Digital while I'm in Netflix
2) I Play ANY content, I get Dolby digital (DD) on the receiver's display, audio plays as normal
3) I Pause the content, I get Decoder off and it stays like that until I resume the content.
4) I Resume the content, I get Dolby digital (DD) on the receiver's display, audio plays as normal

In Yamaha's world, Decoder off means No signal over the HDMI to decode.

- Non Working scenario:

1) TV Menu -> Audio -> Expert settings -> Bitstream as Dolby Digital plus while I'm in Netflix (please note that Yamaha said that the encoding is supported)
2) I play ANY content, I get Dolby digital plus (DD+) on the receiver's display, audio plays as normal
3)I Pause the content, I get Decoder off AND Dolby digital plus (DD+) all the times and it does like that until I resume the content. Video of the issue: https://youtu.be/LKFeuUIwvu8

I'm currently speaking with support to fix this, but it would be very useful to hear from you if you're experiencing the same issue and if you're using a different receiver, as they are accusing Yamaha at the moment of the issue.

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
R4W
Journeyman
Options

What firmware do you have on both TV and receiver? Yamaha should provide an update for earc for both 70 and 80 series, maybe you got that already? I just don't believe in miracles :winking-face:

0 Likes
Racer321
Apprentice
Options

On TV I have Firmware 1251 and on the receiver 1.51!

0 Likes
R4W
Journeyman
Options

It's defintely diverse for me.. I have 1270.3 (but the TV is another model than yours) and 2.70 on the Yamaha (updated tonight!). No joy.

0 Likes
R4W
Journeyman
Options

So I have tried a cheap Denon receiver with the TV, nothing. Denon support says that DD+ over ARC works but I coudn't get more than DD (which works very well with the Yamaha too). Returned the Denon and unhappy so far with Samsung support, John Lewis finally sent an engineer which could again only see the issue. No new hardware brought to test this further.
They're going to change the main board and, I have been told, use some firmware that it's not accessible to public. My expectation is that it's not going to change anything.
But please, welcome the world of cheap and working TVs. My "new" Hisense cheap TV works with Netflix and DD+: https://youtu.be/lIZz8mmo4kY. So, dear Samsung, a 1300 pounds Yamaha receiver doesn't support DD+? Very true, just with your 1300 pounds TV perhaps., but it works with a TV that costs less than 300 pounds. Happy days.

0 Likes
BStar35
First Poster
Options

Jackpot!

Someone else with the same exact problem. It could have been me shooting that youtube video you posted, @R4W.

I Recently bought a Q75900R, and a Yamaha RXA3080, and experiencing the same issues with Dolby Digital +.

Everything works fine if I select Dolby Digital from the TV, but as soon as I select DD+, and pause/rewind a Netlix or Amazon Prime stream, the AV Receiver starts flickering between Decoder Off & DD +. 

I've tried different HDMIs.

Resetting the TV

Spoke to Customer Services, and they suggested a compatibility issue between the TV and the Yamaha. Have you been able to try with a different brand Atmos receiver? 

I am going to get my one connect box exchanged next week. Hoping maybe that might help.. (half-heartedly)

Have you been able to find a solution since you last posted in June 2019?

0 Likes
R4W
Journeyman
Options

0 Likes
BStar35
First Poster
Options

Thank you for the reply.

2 Questions:

As for your first suggestion:

Do you mean buy a box like Apple TV and connect it to Yamaha directly avoding the TV all together? or would it work through our problematic setup (Apple Tv->Samsung Tv->Receiver)? 

You said you bought a cheap Denon, couldnt get DD+ and returned it,  but have you tried with another high end Atmos Receiver, similar class to your 3070 at the time? Maybe like a Denon AVCX6500? Should i give that a go or do you think it's a waste of time?

0 Likes
R4W
Journeyman
Options

The Apple TV is to totally bypass the the TV, so it's attached to the Yamaha.
I have chosen that because it supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.

I have also a Fire Stick 4k which works in the same setup, the difference is that the Fire stick does passthrough and Apple TV decodes the audio to PCM (still retaining Atmos metadata).

I didn't want to buy a highend one, especially because I didn't want to change the reciever. I just wanted to show them that another receiver of another brand didn't work too.

Maybe I'm too attached to the Yamaha brand, but I have always used them without any issues, until I bought that TV.

To be honest, I believe it's a waste of time and money (if you are not getting all the money returning it and paying for shipping it back), but I have bought a TV too in the process, so if you want to try and happy to keep the Denon in the rare case it works, let me know :smiling-face:

0 Likes
BStar35
First Poster
Options

Just to let people know, I bought a DENON 4500 AV Receiver and all the issues are gone. No more flickering. All the sources are connected to my Samsung Q900 TV, and the receiver does the audio through ARC.

After speaking to Yamaha customer services (who are on a different league to Samsung customer services btw, they are simply brilliant), i can confirm that the flickering on their receiver doesn't happen with LG or Panasonic Tvs due to them having different HDMI processes. (Simplink and Viera) . The issue is Anynet + related. There is a compatibility issue between Yamaha and Samsung's Anynet+.

Therefore, I don't recommend matching Samsung Products with Yamaha receivers.

If you want to keep your Yamaha products buy a different TV like @R4W did, or if you want to keep your Samsung TV buy a different AV Receiver.

Case Closed...

0 Likes
R4W
Journeyman
Options

@BStar35 I am honestly surprised about the outcome, I'm aware that I didn't buy a high end Denon, but it didn't work at all.

I have to say that I had a much older TV than yours, which could be another difference.

I found Yamaha techical support much better than Samsung however, in this instance, I am not sure if I can trust them.

If you check some previous posts, @Racer321 reported that a Q6 (like my old TV) was working with a Yamaha RX-A2080.

If what Yamaha says it's true, we would have seen/heard much more about those cases of problems with the ARC.

Another point, my problem wasn't only the flickering of the screen, after a while I had background noise on all the speakers. If it was only a cosmetic issue, I'm not sure I would have bothered Samsung and Yamaha so much.

That said, if you're happy with Denon and you can return the Yamaha, I guess that's your way to go :smiling-face:

0 Likes