Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sources - Unknown or HDMI 1

(Topic created on: 02-01-2019 05:02 PM)
jakudo
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Last year, my brother bougt a TV UE55MU6172U. Few weeks ago, I bought a TV UE65NU7172. We both bought Apple TV 4K, connected it to the TVs. His TV recognize it in Sources as Apple TV, rename it to APple TV and change the icon. I've done the same, but always says only HDMI 1 (or 2 or 3...). Any idea why my TV doesn't recognize it? I know it's a minor problem, but I like it the way, my brother has it :smiling-face:

Any idea?

Thanks, Jakub

IMG_1765.jpegIMG_7597.jpeg

37 REPLIES 37
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @jakudo.

That's strange! The TV should automatically recognise the device that's connected to it and name it accordingly, as it has with your brother's TV. Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Does the Apple TV work OK?

0 Likes
jakudo
Journeyman
Options

I think so, it should recognise it.

I've just tried the old HDMI1.4 cable (I had it with previous TV), now I have HDMI 2 (the one Apple recommend on their website) and everything works just great. Only this is a bug (not serious of course :))

I've also tried all HDMI port in the TV. It works OK in all of them, but none of them recognize the Apple TV...

Renjayy
First Poster
Options

I've been having the same issue only recently, but with my FireTV. My TV recognized it for a while, then all of a sudden it stopped and i've tried resetting the fireTV and I reset the TV as well, but still won't recognize. idk what it could be at this point. Did you find a solution?

jakudo
Journeyman
Options

No I didn’t find any solution. I’ve tried to change hdmi cable, change the hdmi port, reset apple tv and samsung tv but nothing works. Still the same... 😕

peterhaj
Student
Options

anyone find a solution for this one.  as i just expereinced the same thing, everything was working fine for months, up until last night where everything comes up as unknown, and have to set up the device manually. the only problem is that is have impacted the arc 😞

@jakudo wrote:

No I didn’t find any solution. I’ve tried to change hdmi cable, change the hdmi port, reset apple tv and samsung tv but nothing works. Still the same... 😕

jakudo
Journeyman
Options

No, still no solution. I was hoping that it might change after the last firmaware update of Samsung TV, but it didn't help at all...

0 Likes
Mikedvzo
Apprentice
Options

Same issue here I have a Marantz receiver connected to a 50 inch Samsung 2016 TV and it used to work fine and now the source disappears regularly. I rename the source and added to the home screen and it stays for a couple days and then it shows up as unknown and disappeared from the home screen very annoying 

Creekore
First Poster
Options

Same here! After all this time!

I have TWO Samsung TV sets (2018) connected to AppleTVs. One used to identify AppleTV as a source and stopped doing so once I disconnected and reconnected it for cable management purposes. The second one never recognized it. Tried resetting, turning off and on again the HDMI-CEC, disconnecting and reconnecting... everything mentioned in the forums to no avail! They work fine as picture goes (they even support AppleTV+), but it's a detail that's unreasonably unsolved by now since it seems to persist and bother many users. I chose our TVs based on such small details though...

I expect some feedback or some kind of solution by the company...

TNelson860
First Poster
Options

Hi, I just wanted to add that I am also experiencing this same issue. For me, my tv stopped seeing my AppleTV right after the AppleTV got updated to tvOS 13.x. I've made sure both the Samsung TV and the AppleTV have been updated to their latest version. Samsung TV software version is at 1280, although the support page for my tv shows me 1270. 

the only workaround is to create the source device manually and put it in home, but that doesn't always stick.