Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV constantly updating just about every day

(Topic created on: 24-12-2018 04:17 PM)
FMinMI
Apprentice
Options

I own 3 Samsung Smart TVs - two 40 inch and one 55 inch. There are CONSTANTLY updating, sometimes twice in one day, and when it does, there is nothing that can be done except watch OTA TV. It is CRAZY that it has to update so much. I did not buy these expensive TVs only to be told I cannot use them - updating.  My Vizio NEVER gives me any issues wih constant update notices - I turn it on and it just works, taking me to Amazon and Netflixs, the two places we do go to what TV. How do I turn off updating so I actually use the TV when I want?

49 REPLIES 49
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @FMinMI.

You can turn the Auto Update off, by going to Menu > Support > Software Update > Auto Update. 

FMinMI
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the reply however on all 3 of my TVs, there is not an option to turn it off. I can either update via USB or online. The other option is load alternate software (which tells me it does not allow this function) or turn on standby updating (it is off now). There is no option to tell it to NOT update. 😞

updatehell
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem and have spent the last two hours trying t find a solution.  I have elderly parents now living with me who only want to watch old shows on Netflix, but it takes a half-hour of updating just to get there.  Samsung needs to be sued!  None of my other TV's have done this, and unfortunately I can't afford to buy another one...this is absolutely ridiculous.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@updatehell wrote:

I have the same problem and have spent the last two hours trying t find a solution.  I have elderly parents now living with me who only want to watch old shows on Netflix, but it takes a half-hour of updating just to get there.  Samsung needs to be sued!  None of my other TV's have done this, and unfortunately I can't afford to buy another one...this is absolutely ridiculous.

HI @updatehell It would help if you named the model to check the latest firmware and set up of  your TV.   If there not an option to turn Auto Update off on your set, can you try a Smart Hub/Factory Reset? 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

scotty2541
Apprentice
Options

Keep dreaming.  It'll never happen.

Find another company to buy from...  😞 

Some tech guy, by remote control told me he disabled it, and it would not be a problem.

It still is.

He lied, or the setting is lying.  Either way, they have now lost me as a customer.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/STOP-UPDATING-SMART-HUB/m-p/438348#M49203

0 Likes
scotty2541
Apprentice
Options

I started this seach, and posting this complaint last night when we couldn't use the TV because of "yet another update".

In less than 12 hours, someone replied, and asked for the current software versions.

I couldn't pull up the smart hub to get the version BECAUSE IT WAS UPDATING AGAIN.

Oh the irony...   Less than 12 hours...   That's over 14 updates EVERY WEEK.

0 Likes
Freischi
Apprentice
Options

Assuming that this thread is about the Smart Hub updates:

Two of my 2012 TV’s keep updating the smart hub on a frequent basis. Sometimes it is several times a week, other times it lasts longer. The Smart hub version is 4.626-5.0 but it downgrades to 4.568-5.0 and then upgrades again.

So far I have tried the following “fixes” but the problem persists:

• Standby Mode Upgrade set to OFF
  • Set the clock to manual
  • Changed DNS Setting
  • Changed the Region to a different country
  • Factory Reset and Unplugged from Power

Guess it’s an old problem and will never be fixed but if anyone has found a workaround please let us know!

0 Likes
FMinMI
Apprentice
Options

Just an update - a year and a half later and it still updates like crazy. Guess Samsung doesn't care. My only other TV is a Vizio in the bedroom. Never had to wait a second to use it. Will definetly not look at Samsung when one of these 3 goes. Already moved to LG phones from the Galaxy line. TVs next. Unbelieve poor customer interaction and concern...

0 Likes
scotty2541
Apprentice
Options

I keep calling them. 

They ask me to check my internet connection.  

They ask me to pullup the version of the firmware.

They tell me to reinstall.

THEY ARE NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT THE COMPLAINT IS.

Excatly how BUGGY is their "smart hub" software that they release patches several times a day??

I'm obviously going Vizio next.  Sorry that I have three Samsung units that all have smart hubs which are doing this.  Different years of manufacturer.

0 Likes