Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV - Ads on the Menu Bar

(Topic created on: 02-03-2020 10:23 AM)
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Surely there must be a way to disable this? If I'd known I'd be getting this I'd have brought a different brand. It's annoying me to the point where I'm serious considering getting rid. Sounds dramatic but it feels invasive. 

226 REPLIES 226
bitmonster
First Poster
Options
How do we get rid of it??? I just found Murdoch's Sky News advertised on my TV I paid GOOD MONEY for and I don't want this Murdoch rubbish in my life!!

Murdoch is a cancer!
Alhelor
Apprentice
Options
You can get rid of it by buying any other TV except Samsung. It has been going on for almost 3 years. Samsung is not going to change it. If anything, they will add more advertisement in a later update. If you can still return your TV, do it. I returned my Q90R, and I'm very happy with my decision.
chas1966
First Poster
Options

I was about to purchase the QLED 49 inch, but after reading all of this I will be looking for a different brand

chas

@daviefilms wrote:

Amen!

@daviefilms wrote:

Amen!

melll
First Poster
Options

NEVER going to buy another Samsung TV again - because of these ads. my other brands don't force me to view these.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I have just started to notice this, the ads have become quite intruisive. This was a top of the range TV costing thousands - having ads in the menu is tacky and irritating, and it has started to get in the way of menu navigation! I would not have purchased this TV if I had known about this; adverts belong in content (where they can be skipped, or paid to avoid) - not on the device! I will never buy another TV from Samsung; what an appalling way to alienate your customers!

MagnusOv
First Poster
Options

You CAN get rid of it!

Simply start using piHole (https://pi-hole.net) or AdGuard Home (https://adguard.com/en/adguard-home/overview.html) in your network!

They are both free and added bonus: all devices in your network is now ad-free!!! 
Happy times!!

Best

Magnus

Kaciara
Student
Options

WILL NEVER BUY A SAMSUNG TV AGAIN. PERIOD. 

HJD1
Pioneer
Options
Unfortunately I already had that box unchecked but still have new adverts!
0 Likes
iluvmye250
Apprentice
Options

Ever since I instgalled pi-hole on my network, I'm not seeing ads anymore.

For those not familiar,  pi-hole is a network based ad-blocker that runs on a raspberry pi.   If you're not into linux you probably don't know about it and it might be a steep learning curve but I guarantee you it will be worth it, for this and ads in general while browsing.   Also I think it makes your network much more secure since some malware is attached to ads.

HJD1
Pioneer
Options

Further to my previous post.

Blocking ads via the TV menu had no effect.

As suggested by others, I then blocked the following on my router security settings

samsungads.com
ads.samsungads.com
lcprd2.samsungcloudsolution.ne

After switching the tv off and back on again the ad in the Smart home ribbon was gone.

As a bonus when I later watched a film via the Rakuten TV app, which was free but required watching three ads, I found the ads only showed a blank screen.

So many thanks for this advice, which is still working the next day! No doubt Samsung will try to work around it but for now I won't be accidentally streaming a Disney movie as happened the other day when I tried to delete the ad!