Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short sound dropouts on Q49Q70RATXXU

(Topic created on: 04-04-2020 08:49 PM)
Robfrab
Student
Options

Problem  with new Q49Q70. interested  if anyone has found a cure rather than workround.

Very short sound dropouts using optical (or as one attempted solution 'arc hdmi to optical'converter in.case it was the optical output) using pcm. Intermittent  and random but enough to spoil viewing .  I suspect digital pcm output from tv into soundbar has short millisecond drops. Ok with tv speaker so not off air problem. Problem also on hdmi source inputs all of which worked fine with an earlier samsung model.

Tried many digital solutions including returning tv and getting another new one! Conclusions a firmware/ hardware issue.  Guessing probably digital clocking/sync issue.  Soundbar  manufacturer, Orbit knew of the problem. Advised it had.reported to Samsung  Including high level uk meetings. Told it wasa known problem on soundbars and over the years been fixed then broken over various firmware updates. Currently my problems on firmware version 1335.0. Tried all the obvious solutions including different cables, eeserting rebooting etc.

John Lewis technical support has. passed to Samsung, but not holding my breath for a response beyond the switch it of and on reboot factory reset type of adviicw but could  be pleasantly surprised) so decison to return tv before return window closes, needs made - but return at this size for me not really an option as there do not  seem to be any oled tvs or qled tvs at 49 inches.

I could try another soundbar ( more holes in the wall!) and nervous it wont be different,  or stick with the solution below which seems to work around the issue while maintaining quality. But as a professional engineer disappointed to find such issues. 

incidentally until I found the solution below, pausing and the immediately  restarting an off air program eliminated the problem. Effectively buffering the signal via a usb stick

The best solution for me absent a firmware fix and no tv analogue output seems to be an optical to analog converter from Amazon powered off usb port, and then connect its analogue output directly to soundbar and the optical to the tv. That seems to work  

I hope these notes are helpful to some

3 REPLIES 3
Cootie
Student
Options

Ive got the same problem on my new 65Q90r - I'll be in touch with tech support this week but suspect that unless they can fix it I will be returning the set. 

0 Likes
Robfrab
Student
Options

Hi. Tech support was useless . So sent it back and bought Sony.  No problems there and very satisfied. I was very disappointed having had Samsung for 15 years!

Cootie
Student
Options

Cheers. Will give them a chance, if not I might be going down either the Sony or LG C9 route. 

Pretty shocking if Samsung can't get a basic optical digital output working properly on their flagship TV range, when a £30 Google Chromecast manages it. 

0 Likes