Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung, you have to introduce dolby vision

(Topic created on: 10-08-2019 08:00 PM)
Benrc
Journeyman
Options

This is ridiculous. DV is taking off and your lack of support does nothung but hurt your customers.

How about you lead the way and put your customers before some ***** fisted marketing strategy? 

162 REPLIES 162
AndrewL
Options
@Benrc: Samsung isn't currently supporting Dolby Vision on their TV's due to the implementation of HDR10+, which optimises HDR10 images without the need for DV. This may change in the future, however there is no news to share at this time.
Benrc
Journeyman
Options

Well thats disgraceful. More than half the stuff on Netflix is DV, this is just shutting out customers, and for what?

The opposition seem happy enough to support both. 

Thanks samsung. Thanks a lot. Happy for my support by buying a q9 eh? 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Benrc  as @AndrewL  has stated unfortunately Samsung have no current plans to introduce Dolby Vision, however  you have indicated you were aware it was not supported when you purchased the Q9. Samsung are focusing on HDR10+   where dynamic data can be added to each frame https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180828005059/en/HDR10-Technologies-LLC-Founded-20th-Century...      There are differing opinions on the competing formats,  it is true that Dolby Vision is technically superior and capable of producing 12 bit colour but there are virtually no Tv's anywhere that currently support 12 bit.     Rtings  (it is Us site)   but has good overview of all the HDR formats.    https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10+-vs-dolby-vision    Video guide on this site but does not  specifically mention HDR10+  https://www.displayninja.com/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision/

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Randy-312
Journeyman
Options

Samsung,

Can you recommend a good Dolby Vision TV set?

I'm in the market for a new set, and since many other manufacturers are supporting BOTH standards, the lack of support for Dolby Vision rules out your TVs.

Tx

Andy76
Student
Options

I can't believe Samsung has no plans to support Dolby Vision.  I am a long term Samsung TV owner (I have two now) and was really looking forward to purchasing a Q90R or Q900R - they both look really good.  But now I will be going with a Sony or LG who both support Dolby Vison.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Andy76 wrote:

I can't believe Samsung has no plans to support Dolby Vision.  I am a long term Samsung TV owner (I have two now) and was really looking forward to purchasing a Q90R or Q900R - they both look really good.  But now I will be going with a Sony or LG who both support Dolby Vison.

LG also support DTS, and the Netflix app is Dolby Atmos. Also HDMI 2.1.

juanelo
Navigator
Options

Ok if that is the case start by updating your 4k lineup to HDR10+. My TV is a 2017 QLED and I AM still waiting for HDR10+.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@juanelo wrote:

Ok if that is the case start by updating your 4k lineup to HDR10+. My TV is a 2017 QLED and I AM still waiting for HDR10+.

I doubt that will e very happen.  It was never in the spec of that tv so Samsung will not give it for free. 

nik_ger
Journeyman
Options
Yes, me too. Samsung TVs are uninterested until Samsung offers Dolby Vision.