Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Smart led tv has a purple patch

(Topic created on: 10-02-2018 02:53 PM)
Vickip
Student
Options

I have a smart led tv Model No is UE48H6400, we have noticed this morning that there is a purple patch on the bottom right hand side. The tv is out of warranty, but I wondered if anyone else had the same problem and if they fixed it? We have run the tests and it shows up in all 3. Thanks 

151 REPLIES 151
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

wrote:

My TV has developed the Purple Patch issue, and from reading other stories online this seems to be an issue with Samsung TVs.  I have had a Samsung Repair Centre engineer inspect the TV  the screen needs to be replaced at a cost of 500 Euros.  LED failure!!  The TV is just 3 years old.  I have got no where with Samsung who tell me that the TV is out of warranty and all repairs must be paid for by myself. I was wondering if anyone taken this issue further and got any satisfaction?  Its a disgrace after spending 1300 euro on a TV and not to last even 3 years. 

If you can show that its a common fault and affects other sets then you may be able to claim under the oct 2015 European consumer regs.  Contact Citizens advice for more info. 

0 Likes
Ungruntled
Explorer
Options

I had Samsung contact me via Facebook messenger after I posted a complaint about this issue on their FB page.

It seemed promising, that for a moment someone was listening.

The result? 

"We'd recommend getting in touch with your local Support Centre to arrange a repair: http://spr.ly/6180DP35j ^TR"

A repair I'll be charged for? I asked. This is not acceptable. 

"Sorry to hear you feel this way. However, repairs outside the warranty will be chargeable. You can arrange this with the Support Centre closest via the link we sent earlier. ^AM" 

Again, MISSING THE POINT. 

Samsung have sold us a product that, due to poor manufacturing and QA testing, has broken after a mere 2 years, and then wants to charge us, the consumer, to fix a fault that is due to their poor product. 

Too many of us are having this issue and it cannot be legal, at the very least immoral. 

Next step, Citizen's Advice unfortunately. What is to stop electronics manufacturers deliberately selling time-limited products and charging extortionate repair prices to fix them later? 

The law. 

Dublin
Journeyman
Options

I have decided to take them to the small claims court as I have got no where with them.  If there is anybody else in Ireland that is willing to do the same thing? I have sent my complaint already to the Courts Service Online. 

I am not giving up and going out and purchasing a new TV.  I want a full refund at this stage and If ive to fight them in Court, thats what Im willing to do.  

Ungruntled
Explorer
Options
Samsung support have decided to get patronising, explaining why the consumer rights act doesn't apply to them as it is between retailer and consumer, and stating that their warranty stands and any repairs outside will be chargeable.
For the odd problem this may be understandable, but this is a recurring fault across their TVs after only 2 years due to their poor design.

It's disgusting. Never buying Samsung again and will be mentioning this on social media and various forums, product review sites and online stores.

You can't be selling televisions that only last 2 years! It's a disgrace.
Pan
Apprentice
Options

Maybe we can all use this thread to prove that it's not a random malfunction issue but rather a flawed design with poorly made panels. If not a "scheduled" expiring product.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

wrote:

Maybe we can all use this thread to prove that it's not a random malfunction issue but rather a flawed design with poorly made panels. If not a "scheduled" expiring product.

Unfortunately the 2015 European consumer regs are clear in that you can only take your retailer to court.  

So you take up the issue with your retailer and as you show this is a defect then that may force the retailer to solve this. If not it would be taking the retailer to court not the manufacturer.  I do find this odd and would have thought a better system would have been both should be responsible. You could also look at section 75 if the credit consumer act if you bought with your credit card. 

aretzios
Navigator
Options

There are no easy solutions here.  The only way is to prove that this was a design flaw that Samsung was aware of and yet knowingly pushed these items to consumer.  I think that Samsung knows about this, there are recurrent postins about this problem for the last 7 years, at least.  I think that the failure rate is likely low, so Samsung has decided to "live" with it, knowing pretty well that it was going to lose a few customers.  In the States, only a well-financed class action suit is likely to succeed.  Otherwise, the only avenue is to vote with our wallets and not purchase any Samsung TVs ever, which is what I am doing.  In addition, publicizing the problem as much as possible would likely force Samsung to take some action.

aretzios
Navigator
Options

Of course.  But the best way to achieve this is through some other web site that would publicize this issue effectivelly.  I will provide the information to some sites that monitor audio-visual products and services.  Maybe they would give it prominense.

Ungruntled
Explorer
Options

Here's another article about a Samsung TV going wrong after 2 years and 2 months:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1690541/Currys-fixed-broken-TV-after-26-months.html

It seems this problem has been going on for quite some time, and Samsung are content to just keep pumping out TVs that won't last because it's left to the retailers to deal with rather than the manufacturer.

It is a joke. Just don't buy Samsung.

0 Likes
djblue
Journeyman
Options

I discovered the same problem on my tv last week. Emailed Samsung got acknowlegment but  no advice resent again today. I purchased my tv at the end of November 2014. Approached retailer with no joy. Will wait for a response from Samsung for a few more days. I sent photos of the test screen with the email. Have to go through the hoops.

0 Likes