Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Smart TV stopped connecting to internet (wifi and Ethernet)

(Topic created on: 17-07-2018 12:09 AM)
Bobik
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents Samsung TV F6500 which has stopped connecting to Internet since a few weeks. Here is my diagnosis: The TV won't connect to Internet using wifi or Ethernet throught their usual provider. When I use my 4G phone as an access point, the TV connects normally.

These are the solutions I have already tried and that didn't work:

- Reseting the ISP's router + changing it's IP adress

- Factory reset of the Samsung TV (using the Auto-diag menu and the secret menu that you access pressing different buttons on the remote)

- Changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

- Updating the firmware

- Calling the ISP's hotline

'

My questions are :

- Is it possible to do a factory reset that includes the Network connections?

- Has anybody had the exact same issue as my parents?

- Even after the factory reset, the TV continues to say that the firmware is up to date, is it possible to remove the updated firmware?

I am out of options and the Smart Hub is now useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Go to solution
592 REPLIES 592
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

Like I mentioned in my post above. You dont need to physically unplug the TV to get the same workaround.

A simple wake/turn on; hold power button until rebooted with QLED logo will do the same.

But in any case that simply CANNOT be an accepted behavior. We are talking about a "smart" TV after all, that is not priced at 100€, lol. It should make your life easier and more convenient, and there is nothing conveninet about being forced to manually plug and unplug the TV with your fingers crossed, hoping that it will decide to reconnect to a network, that any other device has no problem connecting to... While you are at it, you might aswell do 3 jumping jacks, and sacrifice a goat to get it to display subtitles without washing out the entire image, but that a topic for another thread, which is also being ignored just like this one...

0 Likes
Mazaz
Apprentice
Options

I wanted to come back here and update you all that this issue seems to have resolved itself for us now, although I literally have no idea why (no updates to the TV software that I know of). 

I haven't had to unplug or reset the TV for around 2 months now. Phew. Fingers crossed it stays this way. I hope you guys get some resolve too.

0 Likes
ScottLaRoc
Student
Options

I have the same issue as the 1st post. Thing is, my TV has always worked perfectly fine out the box, never had an issue until 2 days ago. Did an update go out recently?

The only way I can get internet to my TV is to have it hardwired. No connection to my gateway, either 2G or 5G work at all now. I have tried all troubleshooting methods but nothing.

Any help on this? TIA

Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

The last firmware update for QLEDs is from december (v1202.3), but the OTA version of the update came much later. Anyway I have my TV for just two software revisions, and the behavior is worse on the newer fw than on the previous.

0 Likes
MOC1234
Explorer
Options

I want to try and get some media attention to push Samsung into getting  their developers to fix this. If you have Twitter, please make comments on this post - (I hope this link works)

Check out @WhichUK’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/WhichUK/status/1103658141265379330?s=09

0 Likes
MOC1234
Explorer
Options

Strangely , after not using my smart features for a couple of months we tried them this morning. Have watched 2 films on it this morning without a problem. This is using my normal internet setting and the I am no longer using a separate router for my TV connection. The software has not been updated but I feel that Samsung have done something at their end. Hope you are all having luck with this. (I wont disconnect my fire TV just yet though!)

0 Likes
Linda123
First Poster
Options

Had problem with my Samsung TV connecting to WiFi for last five years.  Tried everything internet had to offer but nothing worked.  On rare occasion it connected to WiFi, connection was lost once I turned TV off.  All other devices (5 mobile phones, 2 iPads, 3 laptops and 1 other Smart tv) connected to WiFi without any problem. Just recently installed new BT  Smart Hub with disc to extend WiFi.  Samsung TV now works.  

0 Likes
ChasN
First Poster
Options

I think I have the same sort of problem although it shows slightly differently.  I use my UE55HU with a Sky Q box connected to my Sky wireless network.  Has worked absolutley fine.  For other reasons I am trying a new mesh network.  I have the Sky box nicely changed over to the new network but the TV then drops the internet.  Can't connect to the new network on the TV although it sees it is there.  As soon as I switch the Sky Box back to Sky network I can reconnect TV to Sky network.  Plug the new network into the TV and connect a wired network - no problem but will then not reconnect to Sky as a wireless network until I actually physically unplug the ethernet cable.  All signals etc are strong so once the network connection is established no problems in terms of dropping reconnecting etc.  Will try some of the workarounds  to get a new wireless network when all else is set but in meantime hope this gives some clues to better brains than mine.  Very perplexed as to how switching network on Sky Box disconnects internet on TV........

Tael
First Poster
Options

Just want to say that for me, unticking the 'Hide SSID' setting in my router has fixed my TV connectivity issues. It is now always able to connect once it's turned on.

When ticked, the setting basically makes your wifi network name hidden from devices that are scanning for networks, forcing it to be manually entered. It really isn't necessary for 99% of users as long as you already have a wifi password.

imself
First Poster
Options
Problem solved for me.
Could watch only Live TV. On screen checks indicated I could connect to my local wi-fi network but could not access the internet. Though I had never used it I found I was not recognised on the Samsung account. It would not accept my log-in details and asked me to update the software. That did nothing - I was running the latest version anyway.

Re-entered my email address and password (which may or may not have been the same as used when I bought the tv?) and all the catch-up channels, Netflix. Amazon etc. work again as they had done for the past few years. Basically, I have simply re-registered the tv. Will post again if the "fix", fails.
0 Likes