Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Smart TV stopped connecting to internet (wifi and Ethernet)

(Topic created on: 10-01-2020 07:10 AM)
Bobik
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents Samsung TV F6500 which has stopped connecting to Internet since a few weeks. Here is my diagnosis: The TV won't connect to Internet using wifi or Ethernet throught their usual provider. When I use my 4G phone as an access point, the TV connects normally.

These are the solutions I have already tried and that didn't work:

- Reseting the ISP's router + changing it's IP adress

- Factory reset of the Samsung TV (using the Auto-diag menu and the secret menu that you access pressing different buttons on the remote)

- Changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

- Updating the firmware

- Calling the ISP's hotline

'

My questions are :

- Is it possible to do a factory reset that includes the Network connections?

- Has anybody had the exact same issue as my parents?

- Even after the factory reset, the TV continues to say that the firmware is up to date, is it possible to remove the updated firmware?

I am out of options and the Smart Hub is now useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

592 REPLIES 592
Tino46
Explorer
Options

Hi Everyone,                                 **PROBLEM SOLVED**

This is a blanket reply to all to hopefully help with the annoying wifi drop out problem.

I tried everything. Power off, settings, holding the button down, etc, etc. Spent hours on this on this problem!

I intermittently got it working but then started to drop out and not return again.

So, I tried different equipment in our house and noticed that I was having some drop out on some also.

I then contacted my broadband provider "BT" & simply requested a new hub as it wasnt working properly with all my equipment. Method: BT Chat Online - Dont ask if its possible, just state you are having wifi issues and have diagnosed the fault as the hub as other equipment is not connecting also. It didnt cost me for the replacement so request a free replacement only.

Wahla! Problem solved.... My new hub came. Replaced existing hub with new, set everything up and the samsung tv works and has been working without a problem to date (approx.2 weeks now). I am unsure if this is a guaranteed fix yet as it has only been 2 weeks, but everything connected in the house and no problems. The tv connects as soon as I turn it on (I switch off at the wall each night/day when not in use).

Hope this is a reliable fix to the problem for everyone and helps to stop the frustration of trying to fix a problem that just wont go away! Let me know if this works for you too! 

Kindest Regards

Tino46

MandyJo
Journeyman
Options

Did you say you turn the power off at the wall? One fix we have found with this is if you cut the power to the device, either by unplugging from the outlet, uplugging from the back of the tv, or turn off the power strip. Have you tested to see if you turn the tv off during the day that it still works? 

The hard boot with pushing the power button was the easiest work around as it is not a solution and Samsung needs to come up with a solution.

0 Likes
MandyJo
Journeyman
Options

I have to do the soft reboot by holding downt he power button each time I use the tv before connecting to apps that need to use the internet. It isn't a complete fix, you have to do it each time.

0 Likes
keithone15
Journeyman
Options
I didn't turn the power off at the plug, I only did the press and hold down the on/off button on the remote, that worked for me. I agree Samsung should get involved in this and provide advice for people. I for one will not be getting another Samsung TV.
0 Likes
keithone15
Journeyman
Options
you can try and get a new hub from your internet supplier, one person has had success with that.
0 Likes
JWB1
First Poster
Options

Just plug in a Roku or Firestick........ they stay connected and don’t lose the signal unless your internet goes out.  We have tried all the fixes and all were temporary. The Roku and Firestick have stayed connected since we plugged it in.  Much less frustrating than constantly trying to coax the television to talk to the internet and much cheaper than replacing the TV!

0 Likes
keithone15
Journeyman
Options

A great idea but samsung should still do something to advise people about a permanant fix, unless they cant do it or cant be bothered!!

0 Likes
lxRavenxl
Journeyman
Options

This is permanent solution works for me without any problems.

Make sure you have 2.4ghz and 5ghz using different SSID in your router.

Like sample SSID:

MyHome 2.4Ghz

MyHome 5.0Ghz

Connect the TV with 2.4ghz band instead of 5ghz.

Disconnects will stop happening.

lxRavenxl
Journeyman
Options

@lxRavenxl wrote:

The remote button reset ( Switch off TV. Turn it on while holding the power button on remote until you see the logo) works.

But that's a work around.

I will find a permanent solution to this and add it here. I think this is to do with your router settings mostly. ( Fixed IP. ipv6 disabled , 5g connection to TV provided 2g with a different SSID as the 5g)

There should be an option to pin the solution so everyone can see it in the beginning of the thread.

In my case the connection drops off randomly using YouTube for instance. It works fine for 2 days or more and then suddenly gets dropped and YouTube or the application you are using starts buffering or gets stuck or stops working.

Edit#1
IPV6 should not be disabled if you have a ISP that can support IPV6. Its good to have for low latency gaming.

So my setup: (Doesnt work without disconnection)
IPV6 active.
Reserved IP address for TV.
5g has a different SSID then 2g
TV connected via 5g Wifi.

Going to check how long this lasts.

After playing around a bit I have come to conclusion that the problem seems to be in TV i.e the Wifi function totally gets disabled on TV. ( Stops working) You can not even find any other wifi connections when the connections drops and you try to look for Wifi signal again via the Network setup option ( It finds no singnal for any network) . Resetting via remote mentioned above actually switches of the TV completely and then starts it. ( Just like if you have unplugged it. In other words it is a soft reset which makes the Wifi starts working again)

Edit#2

So above setup didnt last more than 1 day. Got a disconnection again while watching YouTube. Did a quick remote reboot to get the network connection working again.
Will do a new setup and post the results.

Edit#3

Tried to use the Guest Access service from my router. But that's a NO GO as it disables Apple AirPlay.

Now new setup is :

IPV6 active.
TV connected via 2.4ghz Wifi. ---> Thats the change from previous setup.
Wifi Router is 5 meters away from TV.

This clearly is a problem with the Wifi drivers on the TV. ( its gets disabled occasionally) I have older version of the firmware on the TV ( 1327.0) for QE75Q60R (2019) . The latest one is available ( released on 27/11/2019 i.e 1335.0) Can not update it online as the function is disabled ( dont know why) on TV so have to use the USB to update it. But first I will check the results for 2.4ghz connection. I am not so hopeful this will pass as well. How can Samsung mess up such a feature ( Wifi) Not that its new.

2.4ghz streams Netflix HDR contents without any issue.

Edit#4 (So far "Working" with no disconnects)

TV : Q60R
IPV6 active.
TV connected via 2.4ghz Wifi.
Wifi Router is 5 meters away from TV.

Updated firmware to 1335 (release date 27/11/2019) from 1327 using Flash drive.

Above setup is working OK without any disconnects for 7 Days now.  

(This was my last edit. looks like the Edit#4 setup was my solution)

This is posted one page 28 of this thread. But I have further tested this and only using 2.4Ghz is the ultimate solution until there is a fix from Samsung for this. I dont see any disconnects what so ever and its been over a month.

anwudgf
First Poster
Options

I purchased my Samsung 4K 70" UN70NU6070 ffrom BestBuy during the holiday season, who was the only retailer selling it as a markdown to $549, so I couldn't albeit turn down the offer to get a good 4K Samsung TV for a pricetag with tax that was less than $600? I have another Samsung 4K TV in the house, a 55 inch, and it's an MU series that seemed to have played all my burned .mkv hollywood bluray movies that I recoded from 1080p to 4K UHD using a converting software that takes forever even if you have an Intel i7 4.2GHz processor, which I have and to say my 300 movie disk library took me literally years to upconvert, and while I have my movies recoded in 4K that I all personally converted myself and reduced the file size at the same time, my new 70" Samsung 4K 2018 model has been unable to push out the DTS HD Master Surround Sound lossless audio that is on the bluray, and I have the digital copy but it's is feeding 1080p content onto this TV and in that log it looks terrible.

The movie I'm watching is Fight Club, and no Hollywood has not released a Fight Club 4K Bluray version, yet. I would just enjoy watching my own movies that I spend years recoding and upconverting as I see fit, generally speaking I rarely travel for business and when I did Hotels good luck even being able to access your physical wireless NAS that you would connect with the USB 3.0 cord directly itself, it wouldn't even play or locate the files, and these were all the usual suspect manufacturers: LG, Sony, etc. 

From what I see here you are either damned if you do and damned if you don't. The only workaround I can think of as everyone has stated is to reformat the content to an AAC or .mp3 container audio codec that would remove the 5.1 surround sound digitally encoded lossless sound, and while I have yet to purchase a 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround system, I wasn't going to go about decompressing and dilluting my movie collection content, especially when I had reduced the file size of each movie by a factor of 5, which still included the lossless audio that I was happy with. 

I confess though with respect to watching my collection on a 4K SmartTV because since 2015 when I began this hobby, I didn't watch any of my transcoded movies on my previous Vizio 70" SmartTV because it couldn't play the 4K resolution nor the native burnt 1080p bluray because of audio code problems as well, so I came across the ZTE Spro 2 Android Smart Projector that coupled with Kodi 16.1 Jarvis sideloaded onto the device, I can play everything on my NAS and I have a bluetooth stereo system that syncs and I throw the image onto my light grey painted vaulted wall right in front of my bed atop my sliding mirrored closet doors. The image must be close to 120" in size, and with the stereo system playing the sound, it is as close to watching anything at home that almost resembles exactly what it feels like from watching these movies in a movie theater, still not in the comfort of lying back on your bed watching them on your wall, which I prefer the expereince 10 times more than watching it in a closely cramped theater I have to pay roughly $20 to watch? 

0 Likes