Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Smart TV stopped connecting to internet (wifi and Ethernet)

(Topic created on: 05-12-2019 07:05 PM)
Bobik
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents Samsung TV F6500 which has stopped connecting to Internet since a few weeks. Here is my diagnosis: The TV won't connect to Internet using wifi or Ethernet throught their usual provider. When I use my 4G phone as an access point, the TV connects normally.

These are the solutions I have already tried and that didn't work:

- Reseting the ISP's router + changing it's IP adress

- Factory reset of the Samsung TV (using the Auto-diag menu and the secret menu that you access pressing different buttons on the remote)

- Changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

- Updating the firmware

- Calling the ISP's hotline

'

My questions are :

- Is it possible to do a factory reset that includes the Network connections?

- Has anybody had the exact same issue as my parents?

- Even after the factory reset, the TV continues to say that the firmware is up to date, is it possible to remove the updated firmware?

I am out of options and the Smart Hub is now useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

592 REPLIES 592
Greg8491
Explorer
Options

You are right... there are some complicated solutions on this thread, but the easiest I've found (being a non-expert) is the remote power button solution,  or turning the TV off and back on at the power strip behind the set to hopefully encourage it to connect to the internet.  Doubtful that This is a Samsung design feature tho!!!  Haha....

0 Likes
2Smart
Student
Options

Nope, nothing other than the Red Button....I , like you, just want to watch me apps ! 

Nothing tech savvy or clever about me. Type in my issue, read the forum and follow suggestion. Just so happened the easiest one did the trick. No good asking me how ....not a clue....it just worked for me....😃 actually makes a change , instead of the technical ones 😁.

Greg8491
Explorer
Options

Yep, you've got it right!  Good luck with the solution!!

0 Likes
Annicx
Journeyman
Options

To be honest, this is the best fix I've found. Samsung clearly have a 'deny everything' policy and I'm reluctant to start messing too much with everything else in case I make it worse!

0 Likes
mdhd
First Poster
Options

I've managed to fix my connection this way - it is a combination of various solutions posted.

Holding down the power button on the remote unit the TV reboots.
If that does not work, (it didn't with me) with TV on physically pull the plug out of the electrical point, leave for a few mins the longer the better.

Restart TV go to Tools - Settings - Reset and enter the default pin of 0000 (which previously it did not recognize even though I had not changed it).
This wiped wi fi settings and then I was able to reconnect. 

Good luck

EnvironMental
First Poster
Options

0 Likes
cprelise
First Poster
Options

Thanks it worked though I had to go through it more than once, incl. reset of smart app

0 Likes
lxRavenxl
Journeyman
Options

The remote button reset ( Switch off TV. Turn it on while holding the power button on remote until you see the logo) works.

But that's a work around.

I will find a permanent solution to this and add it here. I think this is to do with your router settings mostly. ( Fixed IP. ipv6 disabled , 5g connection to TV provided 2g with a different SSID as the 5g)

There should be an option to pin the solution so everyone can see it in the beginning of the thread.

In my case the connection drops off randomly using YouTube for instance. It works fine for 2 days or more and then suddenly gets dropped and YouTube or the application you are using starts buffering or gets stuck or stops working.

Edit#1
IPV6 should not be disabled if you have a ISP that can support IPV6. Its good to have for low latency gaming.

So my setup: (Doesnt work without disconnection)
IPV6 active.
Reserved IP address for TV.
5g has a different SSID then 2g
TV connected via 5g Wifi.

Going to check how long this lasts.

After playing around a bit I have come to conclusion that the problem seems to be in TV i.e the Wifi function totally gets disabled on TV. ( Stops working) You can not even find any other wifi connections when the connections drops and you try to look for Wifi signal again via the Network setup option ( It finds no singnal for any network) . Resetting via remote mentioned above actually switches of the TV completely and then starts it. ( Just like if you have unplugged it. In other words it is a soft reset which makes the Wifi starts working again)

Edit#2

So above setup didnt last more than 1 day. Got a disconnection again while watching YouTube. Did a quick remote reboot to get the network connection working again.
Will do a new setup and post the results.

Edit#3

Tried to use the Guest Access service from my router. But that's a NO GO as it disables Apple AirPlay.

Now new setup is :

IPV6 active.
TV connected via 2.4ghz Wifi. ---> Thats the change from previous setup.
Wifi Router is 5 meters away from TV.

This clearly is a problem with the Wifi drivers on the TV. ( its gets disabled occasionally) I have older version of the firmware on the TV ( 1327.0) for QE75Q60R (2019) . The latest one is available ( released on 27/11/2019 i.e 1335.0) Can not update it online as the function is disabled ( dont know why) on TV so have to use the USB to update it. But first I will check the results for 2.4ghz connection. I am not so hopeful this will pass as well. How can Samsung mess up such a feature ( Wifi) Not that its new.

2.4ghz streams Netflix HDR contents without any issue.

Edit#4 (So far "Working" with no disconnects)

TV : Q60R
IPV6 active.
TV connected via 2.4ghz Wifi.
Wifi Router is 5 meters away from TV.

Updated firmware to 1335 (release date 27/11/2019) from 1327 using Flash drive.

Above setup is working OK without any disconnects for 7 Days now.  

(This was my last edit. looks like the Edit#4 setup was my solution)

alzbeta
First Poster
Options

@Bobik wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents Samsung TV F6500 which has stopped connecting to Internet since a few weeks. Here is my diagnosis: The TV won't connect to Internet using wifi or Ethernet throught their usual provider. When I use my 4G phone as an access point, the TV connects normally.

- Factory reset of the Samsung TV (using the Auto-diag menu and the secret menu that you access pressing different buttons on the remote)

- Updating the firmware

'

My questions are :

- Even after the factory reset, the TV continues to say that the firmware is up to date, is it possible to remove the updated firmware?

I am out of options and the Smart Hub is now useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@Bobik wrote:

Hello,

- Updating the firmware

'

My questions are :

@Bobik wrote:

Hello,

- Updating the firmware

'

My questions are :

@Bobik wrote:

Hello,

- Updating the firmware

'

My questions are :

0 Likes
rogerwilker
Apprentice
Options

I have been going crazy with this same problem. Suddenly lost internet connection on my un32j633 smart tv.  Had been working for the last few years.  Kept getting no connection due to incorrect MAC address which was zeroed out.  Would not even list my ssid's for my Linksys EA9500.

I tried everything, even spoke with customer support engineering.  They suggested I take the TV in for service.

However, decided to take a look via some youtube recordings about the problem.  I found something and it worked.  This guy said that he had heard that if other devices were in close proximity of the TV set, it could mess up the TV's wifi.  He said that he had an Amazon Fire Stick on the backside of his TV.  He removed it, reset the TV and the problem was fixed.

Well I happen to have recently plugged a streaming box(Android) into the TV.  I unplugged it and disconnected it.  Reset the TV and lo and behold.  The problem was fixed.