Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Smart TV stopped connecting to internet (wifi and Ethernet)

(Topic created on: 22-11-2019 02:48 PM)
Bobik
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents Samsung TV F6500 which has stopped connecting to Internet since a few weeks. Here is my diagnosis: The TV won't connect to Internet using wifi or Ethernet throught their usual provider. When I use my 4G phone as an access point, the TV connects normally.

These are the solutions I have already tried and that didn't work:

- Reseting the ISP's router + changing it's IP adress

- Factory reset of the Samsung TV (using the Auto-diag menu and the secret menu that you access pressing different buttons on the remote)

- Changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

- Updating the firmware

- Calling the ISP's hotline

'

My questions are :

- Is it possible to do a factory reset that includes the Network connections?

- Has anybody had the exact same issue as my parents?

- Even after the factory reset, the TV continues to say that the firmware is up to date, is it possible to remove the updated firmware?

I am out of options and the Smart Hub is now useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

592 REPLIES 592
Tino46
Explorer
Options

Thanks for this potential solution.

Thought I had got round the problem the other day but went to use last night to no avail... As  you can guess, there were a few choice words!!!

This is a silly little problem which must be outside the realm of most to fix, but with your solution hopefully I can do this and get the tv back to being Smart! At the moment it is my Dumb TV!!

Thanks again & have a great weekend

0 Likes
Jin2
First Poster
Options
This worked for me :smiling-face: thanks!
0 Likes
Michel99
First Poster
Options

Called Costco tech support they came here change a card for communication but problem is still recurring. Connection keeps dropping. I have a very fast connection and all my equipments connects fine. Samsung has to address this in a software upgrade ASAP. If they don’t I suggest we start a legal recourse .  Samsung please fix this ASAP. 

0 Likes
2Smart
Student
Options

Yep....this one worked for me !....Simple and effective, all I had to do was ‘ press the red button’ ....DOH !! 🥴🥴

If only everything was as simple eh ? .........*THANK YOU*
😃
0 Likes
Sterling
First Poster
Options

Always, always name 2.4 and 5 different names.  The reason your 2.4 is not working due to the b/w is 11mb half duplex which really means 5mbs.  Your TVs should be on 5

0 Likes
Sterling
First Poster
Options
The Mac is pertinent to your device. Separate 2.4 and 5Ghz with different names on your router. If you are using a Netgear, there are known issues with 2.4Ghz using Netgear routers. In addition, 2.4 the bandwidth is 11mb half duplex which really means 5Mbs, your TV will start cutting out on the 2.4. Move all big items like TVs etc to the 5Ghz and small items like weight scale, smart outdoor plugs to use the 2.4
0 Likes
Sylake
Student
Options

My Samsung tv suddenly stopped connecting to the internet.  I changed the IP address and it connected.  I think it was trying to use the same IP address of my other Samsung tv and that was causing a conflict so it would not connect.

0 Likes
rski
Student
Options

I have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz, and the TV had still grabbed two addresses the first day I turned it on (I just bought it this week). I run my own DHCP server, so I've pegged the MAC of the TV to a fixed address (which I do with most of the devices that use DHCP on my network - makes it easier to keep track of them!), and we'll see if the TV stops consuming new addresses. It is still responding to the original two addresses that it consumed - which means that the TV firmware is at fault, it should stop responding on the earlier addresses when it gets a new one. (This would cause the DHCP leases to time out and the addresses to get returned to the pool.) This is why the router continues to keep the old addresses blocked. Another answer might be to set the DHCP lease time short, but if the TV continues to renew the leases on all of the addresses that it 'owns', this will not help (and is also an error in the TV's firmware).

Yes, I have been in IT and tech support for many years. 🙂

TVLover
First Poster
Options

So for the layman on this thread...do you have a suggestion other than the "press and hold the red power button until TV reboots"???  (I'm just a girl who wants to watch her Netflix and Amazon Prime apps...lol).

0 Likes
rski
Student
Options

I can confirm that with my 'fixed' DHCP address, the TV is stable and has stopped consuming other DHCP addresses on my net. Using a static IP on the TV should accomplish the same thing. I may test this when I move the TV from wifi to wired (after I rearrange my home network, probably during the Xmas holidays).