Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q9FN - Judder, screen tear, choppiness

(Topic created on: 01-05-2019 06:54 PM)
Ricky8
Journeyman
Options

I have the 55 inch version of this and have had it for a few months now . 

First of all I want to say I am happy with the TV in terms of black levels, crispness and overall colour. I really want to love this TV but the motion issues are making me tear my hair out!

I really like the soap opera effect. So initially I set my TV to have max on both blur and Judder reducition. I am not sure but I have noticed recently that my TV is now producing chopping and screen tearing the picture on fast moving scenes. Why? 

After a lot of messing around with the settings I have had to put down the settings on judder reduction to 3 and that seems to have totally eliminated the issue but has now eliminated the nice smooth motion you get when the settings are higher .

On gaming even in game mode I have to totally turn off game motion plus in order to enjoy the game without it tearing but without any motion settings the games look kind of horrible. On games the tearing is when the screen pans quickly and it's always at the top half of the screen .

I have new premium certified HDMI cables, I have tried using different devices test the motion and I can only boil it down to the judder reduction setting. 

Is my panel faulty? Is there anything I can do to fix this? 

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Hey @Ricky8,

It's all about the source. If the source has high frame rate, you will see the video perfectly without any motion problems. If the source has low frame rate and you want to emulate higher fps, then you are at the mercy of how good of algorithms the TV has for doing that emulation.

But I'll ask you another thing.. Have you recently been in cinemas? :smiling-face: Every single movie in the cinema looks exactly as choppy and bad (if your eyes are used to higher frame rates) because the screen is sooo big and the frame rate is only 24.

The bigger the screen, the bigger the motion sensitivity. My TV is 65 inch and this motion problem is more apparent in my case but eventually I got used to it and actually enjoy it more now without any Auto Motion Plus at all.

Try watching some videos from this channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYq-iAOSZBvoUxvfzwKIZWA using your YouTube TV app and you'll see how good it looks like, just and only because the frame rate is high enough. It's all about the source :smiling-face:

Regards

Garnierrs
Apprentice
Options

Here is my judder problem on QE65Q85R:

https://youtu.be/ApvisbKmqW0

Not possible to get better motion. I have tried everything, settings, tv restore to factory settings, diferent motion values, motios disabled etc etc, but... not able to get smooth image without having SOAP motion

Rev007
Explorer
Options

Try watching in game mode all motion off